996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Valet Service... poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:10 PM
RussellNYC
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my $0.02, I've had 3 expensive wheels on two different cars curbed by valets. It doesn't matter how much you tip, an error is an error. And in Manhattan, you often don't have a choice of valet or street, if you really have to be somewhere and can't find a space. It's just the painful cost of doing business in the big apple.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:06 AM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
Never valet - I just give 'em a tenner to let me park it...and I keep the keys!
I never used to valet anyone of my sports cars. For my Vette and 911, those valet always put on EXTRA friggin miles on the car. Some valet put on 5+ miles on the car, definitely joyriding.

I do what you do. But for situations, where they have to drive away to a different lot, I pre-tip $5 - 10 to park upfront. I always had someone drive if thee restaurant or any destination had valet, but these days, it's not much of an issue as long as they don't drive away with it. If they get into my car to park upfront while I watch, that's good enough. I tell myself it's only a car, and as long as I see how and where they drive & park it.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:15 AM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalC4Cab
I live in LA, and take dates to LA restaurants frequently. I'm sure my evenings would go pretty poorly if I made my date walk 2 blocks in her $300 shoes so that I could avoid the valet. And I'm not picking anybody up for dinner in my '99 Tahoe. So I use valet a lot, but do as others here have suggested: tip up front (usually $10, sometimes $20), be cordial to the valet, and ask that they keep it close. Even at the sheeshiest restaurants, where a 996 doesn't make much of an impression, this usually ensures that my car will be placed right up front with the Maseratis and Bentleys. And so if my date still ends poorly, I have only myself to blame.
Ha ha we're in same situation. I have a 01 Vette, 01 Carrera, and a 91 Merc 300E. With my dates, I take one of the sports cars, and usually not in my antique Benz. Clubs and restaurants I visit usually don't have self-parking. I make sure I pre-tip to have them park in front while I watch them. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Valet Service... poll