Sponsored by:

Edmunds TMV values

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Nick Crooks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edmunds TMV values

Do Rennlisters find these values accurate? I am considering trading in my '04 996 and wondered what reaction I would get if I simply asked for the Edmunds trade TMV?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:30 PM
s14roller
Racer

How much did you want to get?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always look at Edmunds, but through the sale of two vehicles and the purchase of the Porsche and an S500 over the last two years, the prices seem to be a little higher than market for used cars (by a grand or two), but I think it's a good starting point. I think Kelley is even more overstated than Edmunds.

That said, I think it depends on the car. I was once searching for a 993, and the estimated TMV was much lower than the real market prices.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:59 PM
evansaero
Pro

Go to Carmax and get a free quote.

Takes about 30-45 min and no pressure.

Sold one of my cars to them and they gave me kbb + $1200, took them another car and they offered kbb + $100 , and a 3rd car they offered kbb.

Not that it will always happen that way but the cars I was getting rid of topped the most wanted list on Edmunds for the year that I bought them

It will give you the best starting point.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Piccia
Instructor

Default Edmunds is Pie in the Sky - IMHO

I have been trying to sell my 2002 Audi allroad for 3 months. Based on what I've seen and how much I ended up selling it for, and my experience selling three other cars privately, Kelley Blue Book is more realistic. However, neither of them are very accurate in what a dealer will give you.

Eg: Though KBB said dealer trade for the allroad in good to outstanding condition was $17,100 to $18,250, CarMax offered me $13,500.

After 3 months where I started trying to price the car at the low end of Private Party in Good condition, which was in the low $21K range, I ended up selling it for $17K. Special circumstance b/c I had my new car and needed to capture something forthe allroad. But at $21K on down to $19K in asking price I got basically zero real interest.

Granted, it is only one example and a difficult car to sell, but my experience has been similar with two other cars.

Bottom line, I go with KBB but always check Edmunds.

Hope that helps.

Piccia
'02 Targa
Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Crooks
Do Rennlisters find these values accurate? I am considering trading in my '04 996 and wondered what reaction I would get if I simply asked for the Edmunds trade TMV?
The only real value is what you can get for it in YOUR market.

Look at other cars in your area of similar age, options and condition and price accordingly - that's all that other buyers are doing.

Put yourself in the mind of the buyer. What are their needs, wants and cares? Those aspects will be diferent depending upon the car that they're looking to buy and the car that you're selling.

A used P-car will attract a different buyer than an Audi and is selling in a different marketplace.

The people who might buy an Audi might equally buy a lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, etc., so they have lots of choice and flexibility, i.e. buying power to get what they want, in the condition they want and at the price that they want.... it's all about compromise.

A P-car is usually appealing to a specific buyer, looking for a very high quality product in good condition. if they're looking at a P-car, then they'll probably buy a p-car and few other cars compete with it. They will still seek to pay the lowest price that they can, but usually will respect a reasonable price. Additionally, they will have a more limited inventory to purchase from, so that will limit their ability to walk away when they see a car that they like.

Hope that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Edmunds TMV values