Sponsored by:

Guards Red - Too Flashy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:15 AM
PorscheRealtor
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Guards Red - Too Flashy?

Would you please render an opinion on this? What comes to mind when you see a Guards Red (w/Beige Interior) 996 Cab?

I was looking for a 996 Cab but I wasn't expecting Guards Red. I'm open to it... I'm just wondering what friends & clients will think when I show up in a bright red P-car. (I sell homes for a living). Any thoughts or gut reactions would be welcome! Thanks for your honest responses!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:24 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact you're having to ask would seem to suggest you are not very comfortable with Guard's Red and might think it's a little too much for you or your given profession. Color is a matter of taste and comfort. It sounds like you have sort of answered your own question....by that I mean that you'd probably be more "comfortable" with a more subdued color when presenting yourself to your prospective clients...i.e. real estate clientele. Perhaps a blue or more sedate color would suit your comfort level better? Most real estate folks I know drive the more conservative color schemes...and they don't drive Porsches either. Not because Porsches are inappropriate...but mostly because they need a four door car to get the husband, wife, and other lookie-loos in the car too. If you look at my Avatar, you'll see what I'm "comfortable" in....

Chuck
Old 09-11-2006, 02:31 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Completely true Chuck

Of course, if I saw a Bright red Porsche Cabrio with a beige interior - I might also think "this guy is fast moving and gets things done" - it could reflect on your personality. If you're the hard working fast moving type, then go for it, it might work for you. Of course if you're more quiet and 'professional' a calmer colour might work
Having said that... You can't be doing too badly, oubviously, if you can afford a Porsche, and your choice in automobile might not matter.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:08 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If car will be used to drive client around, I would not get a 911, not a cab. Color doesn't matter at that point.

Most people like the look and feel of a Porsche and think it's over priced. It's true that there are cheaper cars that are faster. Therefore, people will think of you as a show off if you don't like you or know you.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:30 AM
996 MBA CFA
Instructor

screams "chick car!"
Old 09-11-2006, 05:07 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

No it is not too flashy for a Porsche, but agree a Porsche is too flashy for selling houses unless we are talking the rich. When I usually look at houses they take me in some 4 door American automobile but again I am not rich.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:12 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm in the same profession and use a 4Runner as my daily driver. I have actually slogged it through wet, muddy fields while showing raw land, so for my needs, utility comes before image. If I needed to drive a Porsche daily and meet prospective clients, I would opt for silver or gray. People can be very strange, and can quickly form some pretty twisted opinions of someone based on the car they drive.

Andreas
Old 09-11-2006, 10:33 AM
johnny1423
Pro

I get ALOT of compliments on the color scheme...from Porsche people at Car shows or people at Walmart...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1108818/1
Old 09-11-2006, 10:49 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Just a couple of thoughts...

It's the wrong car for the business. You should have a 4 door car with a hard top, that rides like a limo. If you want your clients to enjoy the ride, yet maintain your Porsche addiction, buy a Cayenne.

I was in home sales for many years. I purchased a Ford Taurus SHO. It had the 4 doors, the climate control, and the performance. It did elimate the "old-timers - buy American - he's rich and is over-priced" objections.

I cancelled an in-home sale when the salesman got cocky with me bragging about how he was able to drive-maintain-and pay for his Saleen, selling Cutco knives.

Just my honest and humble opinion.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:23 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You state that you are looking, so I assume that you now have a car to use in the business. Keep it and buy the Porsche for fun. If this financially over extends you a little, it can only be good for business. I found this out over 30 years ago.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:15 PM
chuckla
Racer

I'm conservative about appearances and have owned silver or black cars since time immemorial. When I saw my present Guards Red 911, I was so unsure about how aggressive it looked that I dragged my wife to the dealer on a Sunday. After she easily OK'd it, I bought it and am glad I did. What I now notice is that there are more red cars on the road than ever, due probably to silver/black/gray fatigue setting in with a lot of folks. No views on whether it's smart for your business.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:00 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree that it is the wrong car for a real estate salesman - p-car probably too flashy, no room to tote the customers around in, you have to slop through some pretty ugly conditions at times.
Guards red - love the color. It looks great on 911s.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I also agree that a 911 is the wrong choice as a business car for a realtor. Aside from utility concerns, there's typically a negative stereotype on red sports car owners. As a realtor, where trust and comfort factor with the client are paramount, you want your customers to focus on your expertise and not the car you drive. Unfortunately, a red sports car -- regardless of the make -- just won't let them do that.

Color preferences are all subjective. I for one think guards red is gorgeous on 993 and prior, but not too fond of it on 996/7.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:13 PM
RobynC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996 MBA CFA
screams "chick car!"
Is that because most men couldn't handle the color??

It is a flashy color...and if you are questioning the color...perhaps look at different colors. With the influx of so many of these cars on the market, I am sure you can find the one that is just right for you.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheRealtor
Would you please render an opinion on this? What comes to mind when you see a Guards Red (w/Beige Interior) 996 Cab?

I was looking for a 996 Cab but I wasn't expecting Guards Red. I'm open to it... I'm just wondering what friends & clients will think when I show up in a bright red P-car. (I sell homes for a living). Any thoughts or gut reactions would be welcome! Thanks for your honest responses!
Silver is more traditional. Red is more flashy.

I'd get a red for the weekend, but Silver if I was driving it to show houses. Um, I have Silver now, and it's a daily driver - but I WISH I had a red one

-td

Quick Reply: Guards Red - Too Flashy?