Sponsored by:

spirited drive home on 9-7

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:44 PM
spaceman_spiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spirited drive home on 9-7

I was on my way home from work and spotted a white c4s about 5 cars in front of me. I tried to catch up and noticed he was making his way through traffic effortlessly, so I decided to play too. It was a lot of fun & I forgot how great our cars look from behind. When I got over to my exit lane he gave a smile & a big thumbs up! I waved and smiled as well. This was the first positive interaction with another 911 I have had. For some reason the boxster/944/928 guys seem to be more friendly overall. I could really tell the power diff from his 02+ c4s & my 00 c4. Either way it was fun driving with someone else who enjoys his car as much as I enjoy mine!
Old 09-08-2006, 01:48 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's funny. you should read the ever follow a p-car post.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:14 PM
unklekraker
Racer

Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff
. For some reason the boxster/944/928 guys seem to be more friendly overall. Either way it was fun driving with someone else who enjoys his car as much as I enjoy mine!
Glad you have fun I tried that one time, I have a Boxster, following a 966, kinda like a younger brother chasing his older brother in the freeway and when I wave at the guy to give him a big thumbs up, he gave me the finger ....sad, really sad! but it's all good coz; I enjoy darting in and out of the traffic...hehehehehe!
Old 09-08-2006, 03:40 PM
spaceman_spiff
Instructor

i saw that other thread after i posted mine - the simple pleasures!
Old 09-08-2006, 03:59 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see more Carrera's than other P-Cars but boxter folks almost never wave at me. It's like they are mad at me or something.. One 987 boxter owner I raced on the hwy, waved once he caught up to me at a red light.

Also, I have yet to notice the difference in power between my '00 vs '02 plus pcars. But I do have a reflashed ecu and evo intake which produce no power gains according to many board members here.

Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff
I was on my way home from work and spotted a white c4s about 5 cars in front of me. I tried to catch up and noticed he was making his way through traffic effortlessly, so I decided to play too. It was a lot of fun & I forgot how great our cars look from behind. When I got over to my exit lane he gave a smile & a big thumbs up! I waved and smiled as well. This was the first positive interaction with another 911 I have had. For some reason the boxster/944/928 guys seem to be more friendly overall. I could really tell the power diff from his 02+ c4s & my 00 c4. Either way it was fun driving with someone else who enjoys his car as much as I enjoy mine!

Last edited by washington dc porsche; 09-08-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unklekraker
Glad you have fun I tried that one time, I have a Boxster, following a 966, kinda like a younger brother chasing his older brother in the freeway and when I wave at the guy to give him a big thumbs up, he gave me the finger ....sad, really sad! but it's all good coz; I enjoy darting in and out of the traffic...hehehehehe!
He probably thought you were tailing him or something ... BTW, I ride a sportbike and in generaly we wave at other riders. I felt natural extending the same to Porsche drivers in San Diego ... not very responsive ...

I still offer a gentle wave, but like just 20-30% respond back. Rest just smile or pretend I don't exist. And those that pretend I don't exist are almost ALWAYS old (50-ish?) white guys who probably don't like the sight of a 25 yr old ... And there is this one guy near my work campus who always ignores my friendly wave !! I'm going to wave everytime till he waves back at least once. Of course my GF thinks I'm nuts ...

On the other hand, you should definitely go for some porsche meets/drives. PCA has various locations and some of the drives have been some of the best drives of my life. The drivers are very helpful and friendly too. Also a nice way to see 50 (fifty) plus cars driving 'enthusiastically" in canyon roads ...
Old 09-08-2006, 04:20 PM
unklekraker
Racer

Originally Posted by Sids911
And those that pretend I don't exist are almost ALWAYS old (50-ish?) white guys who probably don't like the sight of a 25 yr old

On the other hand, you should definitely go for some porsche meets/drives. PCA has various locations and some of the drives have been some of the best drives of my life. The drivers are very helpful and friendly too. Also a nice way to see 50 (fifty) plus cars driving 'enthusiastically" in canyon roads ...
the first one is so true, dude!

yah, i might start going to Porsche Meets around here. There's going to be one about an hour away and it's a Boxster social gathering sponsored by the Nugget....
Old 09-08-2006, 04:20 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the guy I played tag with who wouldn't even look over was a 50ish old white guy.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:50 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sids911
He probably thought you were tailing him or something ... BTW, I ride a sportbike and in generaly we wave at other riders. I felt natural extending the same to Porsche drivers in San Diego ... not very responsive ...

I still offer a gentle wave, but like just 20-30% respond back. Rest just smile or pretend I don't exist. And those that pretend I don't exist are almost ALWAYS old (50-ish?) white guys who probably don't like the sight of a 25 yr old ... And there is this one guy near my work campus who always ignores my friendly wave !! I'm going to wave everytime till he waves back at least once. Of course my GF thinks I'm nuts ...

PCA is good for other things but not for fun runs or drives. My friend and I showed up late for a PCA fun run once and we had to chase them down. Well we did just that and when we caught up to the pack, they were driving very slow. Some boxsters were even braking in turns and after a few minutes of following the pack we just turned around. But they are always friendly and helpful. Im sure they drive much differently at the track.

The best fun runs around here that I've been to are the dorkiphus fun runs. Those boys know how to work them porsches in the open back roads and get your heart thumpin' for more.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:03 PM
spaceman_spiff
Instructor

i also have a sportbike 00 yamaha r6 & notice 90% of sportbikes give the wave back and in contrast only small % of p car drivers wave (yes most of them are older) I don't understand how some people can be so stuck up. Either way I love my car!!!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:20 PM
JES1680
Instructor

I've had fairly good luck with other P-cars waiving now that I'm in a 996 instead of my Boxster S. Even some 993 guys giving me the thumbs up. I was used to that in my SC as apparently that era 911 is ok with everyone.
I had a guy in a late 90's Firehawk chase me down and want to drag me at the light tonight. He let it rip when the light turned green. I looked back at my 3 year old in the car seat who was yellin go daddy go! I calmly pulled away from the light. I don't need a new clutch that bad. And I don't race with my son in the car (actually don't street race at all).

What kills me is that every kid in a neon with a coffee can muffler wants to race. Thats when I miss the muffler bypass pipes. A couple good raps on the throttle and that usually discourged them

Quick Reply: spirited drive home on 9-7