Sponsored by:

Side skirts falling off!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:50 PM
outskirts
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Side skirts falling off!

My girlfriend noticed the skirt on my car is coming off on the passenger side! Its not completely coming off, but it seems that the sticky adhesive that was holding it to the side of the car has lost its ability to hold on side skirt flush to the car. It seems to be locked in pretty wheel in the wheel wells, just not flush to the car anymore just under the door. Is this normal? It seems to be fine on the driver side door. These are the stock skirts that come with the porsche, not an addon. Should I take it to a body shop and just have to add the sticky stuff or whatever was holding it flush to the car? How much should i expect to pay for this? It doesnt appear to be damaged, just coming off! Thanks guys!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:15 AM
vove
Burning Brakes

This is very normal if the skirts was not installed properly. If its bothering you then fix it yourself or have a shop do it. The cost should be low since all you would be doing is taking the old 3m tape off and cleaning the surface to apply the new one. Just make sure that the surface is clean and warm when you install the new tape.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:18 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is 3m tape or silicon used?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:59 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
is 3m tape or silicon used?
DJ - I believe it is double-sided tape. The OEM skirts come with tape and once you have the bottom of the skirt installed with the clips, remove the protective paper/plastic coating from the tape to expose the adhesive and press the top of the skirt firmly in place.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:19 AM
mduff
Instructor

Yes, I can confirm the 3M double sided tape.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should also make sure to use automotive 3M tape, which is grey and has red peel off backing. I've seen it in various stores like Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. See 3M link:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html
Old 09-05-2006, 07:12 PM
42empress
Racer

Mine was just coming out at the rear wheel well and i squirted some crazy glue in there and held some pressure on it for a few minutes and it has stayed. Kinda crazy to think i repairing my porsche with crazy glue, but it worked.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The original (factory) Aerokit Cup side skirts were held on with epoxy glue. The process took 24 hours for the epoxy to dry. Double-sided tape -- Looks like another Porsche tactic to lower the cost and labor time. I'm pretty sure my Aerokit Cup side skirts won't ever fall off.

Quick Reply: Side skirts falling off!