996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche part number decoding ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:34 AM
blacknight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche part number decoding ???

Hi all,

Is there a guide chart of what the second three-digit number means in Porsche part numbering?

In this example of 996 618 151 10, the number 618 seems to put this Litronic Ctrl Unit into Electronics category.

I'm looking for a chart that define the categories into three-digit numbers.

Thanks a lot,

Richard
Old 08-28-2006, 03:48 AM
996 MBA CFA
Instructor

type in "porsche decoder" in google. Thats what I did. The first link shows you all the option codes.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I do not believe there is such list/chart.
In my August 2006 price list from Porsche it shows 205,376 part numbers and many are used on multiple models. Some part numbers used on current cars go back over 20 years in the origin. Their is some logic to the numbering scheme but there are many many many exceptions.
What is your goal here - if I may ask?
Old 09-02-2006, 07:49 PM
blacknight
Instructor

^^^

Hope to get a list to organize the Porsche parts into categories such as Engine, Transmission, etc. I am putting together a database for a shopping cart to sell Porsche parts. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found that Porsche makes up the numbers on many of the parts after their lunch break at the local beer gardens. On a recent project, I found three identical parts with three different numbers and one part with numbers that are not in any Porsche service manual or computer system.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:36 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well from a porsche perspective electronics would be 9
0 is diag
1 engine ? brainfart over 1 and 2
2 ?
3 powertrain
4 chassis
5 top ?
6 body
7 interior
8 ?
9 electronics

ill fix this list tomorrow few to many cockatails tonite
Old 09-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
I have found that Porsche makes up the numbers on many of the parts after their lunch break at the local beer gardens. On a recent project, I found three identical parts with three different numbers and one part with numbers that are not in any Porsche service manual or computer system.
Ain't that the truth. The basic Porsche part number systems are made up at Weissach using the age old Engineering adage of "form, fit and function". Then Porsche added some of their own flavours and even managed to mix them up over the years. There is no breakdown chart available to the public. The only place I have seen such breakdowns is on the actual Engineering drawings and one has to trawl through thousands of these sometimes to find what you are looking for.
Once in a while one is able to obtain the rationale maybe for certain things like what does 925 or 955 really mean in Porsche parts number speak, then you find out it was differently applied to create 965. End result is that they know exactly what they are doing and we do not have a clue.
Unfortunately the almost religious belief that Porsche do things logically, in number sequence and are well organised sometimes results in incorrect assumptions being made by somebody looking for a part. It gets worse when they see the same part number except for the first three digit type number or what they think is the type number prefix. The end result is that they get the wrong part and it doesn't work.
Ciao,
Adrian.

Quick Reply: Porsche part number decoding ???