Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

To replace the RMS or not? That is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:37 PM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking More fuel to the fire

Just to make this more complicated. :-)

The car is CPO covered until June '07. Why am I replacing the clutch? When I bought it, the pedal was on the high side but solid on the uptake. I've have two dealers give me their opinion on the clutch. One said it was ok, but recently when I had my ignition switch assembly replaced (that's another story) the service adviser noted that the pedal was high and recommended replacement.

I called around for estimates with the following results:

F & S, Springfield, MA ~ $1700.
Inskip, RI ~ $2100
Natick European Engineering, Natick, MA ~ $1500.

Natick has a really good rep for Porsche work but isn't a dealer, but I have more confidence in their ability to do this job than any dealer.

If the work is done by Natick, then the following applies:

If the seal is not replaced and it goes bad before June '07. It's warranty time.

If it's replaced and goes bad before June '07, is it covered under factory warranty? Probably not.

I think one of the responses gives me the best plan of attack. Seeing how the clutch is not "broken" and I'm not one to wear out a clutch with driving antics, then I think I'll stretch it until it's 'broken' or past the June '07 date. That way if the RMS/IMS crap out in the mean time, I can get the new clutch for the cost of parts/labor when it's down for the RMS replacement.

BTW, someone mentioned coil replacement... I was going to change plugs and coils while the engine was out. I AM a believer in preventative maintenance on such items when they have a rep for failing. In addition, I was thinking of doing the hoses and belt too.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:54 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for preventive mait.

coils going bad...........i have seen it, but when they are bad 99% of the time you can see that they are bad with you eyes. they get water in them and swell up with rust and spltt and you can see all the rusty plates just looking att he top of the coil, if they arent split dont worry about them your wasting your money
belt if its cracked replace it if not dont worry porsche says 60k for pice of mind you can change it its easy
hoses just squeeze them if they feel firm they are ok if they feel mushy then change em,
really 996s leak oil........thats really the only common thing i see alot of
yeah theres other little things that happen frequently but for the most part they are bullet proof.

i agree with the clutch when it stops moving take it in
Old 08-30-2006, 01:38 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by theonlyrobertson
I called around for estimates with the following results:

F & S, Springfield, MA ~ $1700.
Inskip, RI ~ $2100
Natick European Engineering, Natick, MA ~ $1500.

Natick has a really good rep for Porsche work but isn't a dealer, but I have more confidence in their ability to do this job than any dealer.
Even if EPE in Natick was the most expensive I would still use them for service (I've been to all three). Where are you located? Clutch replacements can be a fun afternoon DIY project...
Old 08-30-2006, 10:19 AM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Default My location...

I'm located in Charlton, just east of Sturbridge. Not sure of a DIY project if the RMS needs to be replaced when it becomes visible. Seems to be sensitive to installation and having the right tools. The rest of it would be interesting to do.

--Dale
Old 08-30-2006, 01:52 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

DO NOT INSTALL A RMS WITHOUT THE INSTALATION TOOL,
Old 08-30-2006, 10:41 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm located in Charlton
I use to live in Douglas and I'm probably moving back to the Worcester'ish area.

Not sure of a DIY project if the RMS needs to be replaced when it becomes visible. Seems to be sensitive to installation and having the right tools.
The RMS installation tool is available to rent if anyone doesn't want to buy one. The actual installation is not be a big deal and is probably hyped a little more than it should be. I don't believe this is the first model 911 that used this type of seal (993 GT2-EVO)? Most important is that the seal go on dry and aligned (which the tool takes care of for you.) One additional step that the seal manufacturer recommends for PTFE seals that your local Porsche dealer will not do is let the seal sit for four hours before starting the car.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:08 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

porsche recomends a few minutes after instalation before removing tool
Old 09-01-2006, 10:31 AM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Thumbs up Maybe next summer

Ok, I think I can survive the winter (that 'll be another 8Kmiles on it) and through to next summer before I decide to do anything. Thanks for all the input. Maybe I'll take up Jason and tackle this in my driveway.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:52 PM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone has the latest part number for the RMS ? I have 997 101 212 00. Is that correct ?
Old 09-03-2006, 08:54 PM
toddel68
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adrian
This can work out the following ways:
1/. The non leaking RMS is replaced with a new one and it doesn't leak. Owner has parted with his money, but he doesn't really know if he achieved anything.
2/. The current non leaking RMS is not replaced and some time down the track it starts to leak and the owner says: "Damn I should have replaced it then".
3/. The current non leaking RMS is replaced by a new RMS and some time down the track it starts to leak and the owner says: "Damn why did I have that RMS replaced?"
What happened to:
4/.The current non leaking RMS is not replaced and and will never leak?
The owner says:"I did the right thing!"
Old 09-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by toddel68
What happened to:
4/.The current non leaking RMS is not replaced and and will never leak?
The owner says:"I did the right thing!"
Because I try and provide practical advice based on my own experience laced with a little bit of humour sometimes which my three points were. The use of the word "never" in this instance is an absolute and unsupportable. Only the very brave or the very reckless use the word "never" in the same sentence with the words: "Porsche", "oil" "RMS" and "leaks" and I am not that brave.
Ciao,
Adrian.

Quick Reply: To replace the RMS or not? That is the question!