996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Urgent: Throw out bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 01:11 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im not one to bust on dealers.............but that doesnt look 5000 miles old to me
Old 08-27-2006, 05:25 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
im not one to bust on dealers.............but that doesnt look 5000 miles old to me
Old 08-27-2006, 07:10 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by discoganya
The tech told me that the play between the thrust plate and the bearing was too much
It's too late now but I would have asked them to show me how much play there was between the two release bearings. There is always play in the release bearing and I would be suspicious of "too much" play, subjective measurements (press with your thumb, wiggle, etc.) have a habit of being completely wrong and always benefit the person selling the parts. How much extra movement is there? Are we talking .2mm or 1mm?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:01 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

reallt the tech gains nothing selling him a throw out bearing if the trans is out if anything its costs the tech money
Old 08-27-2006, 11:21 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
It's too late now but I would have asked them to show me how much play there was between the two release bearings. There is always play in the release bearing and I would be suspicious of "too much" play, subjective measurements (press with your thumb, wiggle, etc.) have a habit of being completely wrong and always benefit the person selling the parts. How much extra movement is there? Are we talking .2mm or 1mm?
Well, looking at the part I believe the throw is closer to 1 mm than to 0.2 mm. Anyway, now that the replacement is done, I can't change much. I can only learn whether to trust the dealer or not. And the dealers advice does not seem completely out of the ordinary.

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
reallt the tech gains nothing selling him a throw out bearing if the trans is out if anything its costs the tech money
I don't quite understand. The dealer sells me a part for $168, which I can for $100 at Sunset. I assume the dealer makes some money (margin) on selling me the part. Of course, not a whole lot -- considering the entire bill that went to the warranty company.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:33 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

the tech does not get paid by the hour, he gets paid a flat rate for perfroming the job.
If said job pays 6 hours he gets paid 6 hours for it, if it takes him 10 he still only gets paid 6
if he does it in 4 he made an extra 2 hours. The tech makes 0$ on parts, the dealer does but the tech gets nothing. So the tech pulls the transmission, finds the bearing worn, now he has to go to parts dept get an estimate then go to his service advisor, adviosr has to call the customer, well all this is going on the tech is essentially off the clock hes not getting paid while he runs around and gets an estimate and waits for aproval so his 6 hour job may take 7 or 10 and hes still getting paid for only 6 . He cant pull another car becasue his lift is tied up. So hes costing himself money, some thing hes not gonna do unless he fells that the customer needs the part replaced. he gains nothing replacing the bearing.

Now my opinion................... that bearing looks really nasty for 5000 miles unless your real hard on
clutchs
if the cars under warrenty the bearing should have been covered

if the cars out of warrenty but the clutch was replaced along with the throwout with porsche parts 5000 miles ago and less then 2 years the bearing should have been covered

Quick Reply: Urgent: Throw out bearing replacement