Sponsored by:

Pimpin' or Cool?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 02:26 PM
QueenCityCarrera4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Pimpin' or Cool?

Has anyone see these crazy things before? They had an ad in EXCELLENCE mag. See video....

http://boothedesign.com/index.html

They are either darn cool or way too tacky. Anyone seen them in action? At $600 large, they probably need to be more cool than tacky.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:51 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm. I guess I think it's just not nessesary. That said, I DO LOVE the colored center caps. But I personaly don't care if you can see them when the car is moving. Although I was thining about putting spinners on my ryde.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:27 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by QueenCityCarrera4
Has anyone see these crazy things before? They had an ad in EXCELLENCE mag. See video....

They are either darn cool or way too tacky. Anyone seen them in action? At $600 large, they probably need to be more cool than tacky.
Way off topic but 600 large would be $600,000. Thousands are still considered "large". Our lowly dollar is decidely small these days.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Realist D.
Instructor

The new Rolls Royce has that feature for the center caps and it is fer sure "pimp". If its good enough for your Roller it should be good enough for your Porsche.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the caps myself, but Ralph (Boothe) is a very conscentious individual who makes damn fine wheel spacers and hardware. A pleasure to deal with.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:06 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, saw the RR ones in action outside LAX, looked cool!

Also noticed that some TAXIs now have complete hub caps with advertising on them that do the same thing

Not quite what you'd want on your Porsche.

Chris.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:23 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I thought the words "pimpin" and "cool" were one in the same? You kids today with your slang, I just can't keep up.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'd accept the wheel caps for free; I'd even decline the gold exhaust tips.
Originally Posted by QueenCityCarrera4

Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 AM
mduff
Instructor

I think that Washington DC got it correct with the gold tip analogy. This is pimping for sure though. I can not, in my farthest dream imagine this as a factory option. Can you imagine what Professor Porsche (either one) would have thought?

Not that we cant customize our cars and I do believe that more people will do this in the future, but I will stick to the conservative approach that the factory has always upheld. Just my .02 cents.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:59 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, I don't run with that crowd. If you are the type that enjoys trolling for stares you will probably love these. I'm VERY old school with my customizing and like upgrades that will functionally improve the vehicle. I've been driving 40 years and have seen a lot of short lived trendy fads come and go. It takes a pretty substantial product to impress me. (In the business)
Old 08-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
Sorry, I don't run with that crowd. If you are the type that enjoys trolling for stares you will probably love these. I'm VERY old school with my customizing and like upgrades that will functionally improve the vehicle. I've been driving 40 years and have seen a lot of short lived trendy fads come and go. It takes a pretty substantial product to impress me. (In the business)

I tend to agree... and as for pimpin'. Call me old school, but pimpin' has an element of tackiness that I don't think deserves to be on an elegant car such as a Porsche.

If you want to tacky up your car, go and buy a Camero, or a Dodge Charger.

Any additions to a Porsche should be in keeping with the design of the car - elegant, simple and refined.... otherwise, you're no better than a high schooler pimpin' their rides.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:28 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First Ralph developed that product before RR and Bentley. I am not sure if he is making them anymore though. Every single one of his products is made to perfection. Ralph is a Porsche enthusiast and all around great guy to know. I highly recommend all of his products!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:55 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Its like spinners for center caps.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:01 PM
b_creative3
Advanced

Personally, I won't put them on my car for sure. I don't see the purpose of this product. Thanks for the link though.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by vove
Its like spinners for center caps.
Exactly.... and living near Philly we tend to get plenty of that tacky 'urban' junk on cars.

Quick Reply: Pimpin' or Cool?