996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Land Rover Discovery (off topic)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:39 AM
pchak
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start with a '99 Disco II (WITHOUT the air suspension-that's the big weakness, as the pumps burn out and the corresponding 18" ghetto tires are EXPENSIVE), but the '97-'98 Disco I's are relatively safe (but don't ride as nicely as the Disco II's). I've had both, wih no real problems (except that air pump, which was a warranty item). I bought a '96 Range Rover with 120K miles (now has 146K), and it is uonstoppable. The perfect winter beater and hauler. Full frame, and heavy duty. Creature comforts or not, these are TRUCKS baby! Car and Driver wrote an article about SUV's a few years back, where they awarded the cushy Acura, BMW, and Lexus "car-vans" top honors in an off-road test, but admitted that they trusted only the LR to lay out the course, AND go in and pull out a truck that got stuck.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...smackdown.html

The downside is the bad gas mileage (expected), and premium gas (I run mine on mid-grade with no issues). If you can put up with the quirkiness (that's why I think they fit hand and glove with Porsches), they're a great truck, especially as a beater. Battling Ohio winter in them is a no brainer, and I'm always the base camp vehicle for whitewater rafting. Hauls camp crap and gear for four people over a long distance in comfort.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:16 PM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 3 full size Mitsu Montero's 80's, 90's and now an 03. These trucks are bullet proof. Both trucks went 200k-300k miles plus and are still being driven today by the people I've sold them too. The all wheal drive is unstoppable and there great on gas. There is a reason why Mitsu has won so many Dakar rally's. But if you need to have the "rich" look than buy the rover.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 PM
9146gt2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default range rover

I'm selling mine on ebay it been good to me I've ouned 3 different one's they are good cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd recommend looking at 93-97 Toyota Landcruisers. They are a tank in the snow, and are extremely reliable. I've had both the Landcruisers and Discos (Series I and II) - and the Landcruisers are much more reliable (plus the parts to fix them are cheap!!!) and look way cooler than a Disco!!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:27 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've driven a '00 Disco II for a few years. I think as long as you buy one built while BWM owned the company (Bosch electrics and engine management), a lot of the legends about unreliability are irrelevant. pchak's advice about avoiding SLS and ACE is excellent. Going with the 16" tires is especially good advice if you think you'll offroad it. If you find one with a clean, complete service history, you're fine. If it was a problem truck, it would have revealed itself as such by now. The worst thing you can say about them is that they leak. But so what? Even my dealer doesn't recommend fixing every one of them. It's just how they are, and not an issue unless you're fussy about your driveway. What you get is a truck with a real personality, if that matters to you. And it really will go through anything. It's astounding. I wouldn't write it off without driving one; you might be very pleasantly surprised. Resale values are in the toilet because people are afraid of them, but mine has been much more trouble free than the brand new Ford I traded for it. They're pretty fun.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:25 PM
DrScoles
Track Day

I had a 94 Defender 90, and 96 RR. Both of them had some serious issues, D90 needed new tranny at 26K to the tune of $4200.00 Thank god for extended warranties! The RR, the entire rear end electrically, failed... no blown fuses, nothing...just stopped working... traded it in for an X5. Loved both of the trucks, just not reliable.

I test drove the RR sport the other day, it was SWEET! BUT, reading the reviews from JD power and Edmunds, I wouldn't touch it... I was hoping ford would help them clean up their act...didn't happen. Buy a used 4runner and be done with it!

Mike
Old 08-18-2006, 06:52 PM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by wlee69
I'd recommend looking at 93-97 Toyota Landcruisers. They are a tank in the snow, and are extremely reliable. I've had both the Landcruisers and Discos (Series I and II) - and the Landcruisers are much more reliable (plus the parts to fix them are cheap!!!) and look way cooler than a Disco!!!!

That's what I would do as well, the old land Cruisers are EXCELLENT off road trucks that are both luxurious AND reliable. You can get a nice one for 10-12k easy at the moment, since they are get horrid gas mileage.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:39 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just dug out this picture - I wouldn't want to be making a water crossing like this in anything other than my LR - do you think the other trucks mentioned could handle this?

Chris.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:14 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Just dug out this picture - I wouldn't want to be making a water crossing like this in anything other than my LR - do you think the other trucks mentioned could handle this?

Chris.

Word.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:20 PM
pchak
Pro

HOLY CRAP! What a picture.

Yeah, Land Rovers may not be for everyone, but I can't complain (again, except for gas mileage). None of mine (my Rangie, my wife's FL, and a prev disco and DII) never even leaked oil. We dropped off my wife's for a stupid recall (extra padding in the A pillar for collisions) and 24K service. It's otherwise only been to the dealer once for a broken radio antenna. There was a new RR sport in the showroom. Looks meaner than all get out, but hardly a truck, IMO.

Quick Reply: Land Rover Discovery (off topic)