Sponsored by:

What's the best TINT solution for our 996s? "Recent Products"

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Jicko
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
You don't need to memorize the numbers, the shop will tell you what's legal and what's not.
You can always look at sample sheets at the shop.
Place the tint on your window next to the body color to see how it looks,
Look thru' the tint sheet to check for visibility quality,
Get in the car and look out thru' the tint placed on the window.
Shops here will put in anything you want to.... legal or not... is the owner's own responsibility...

One note tho... driving over 65mph on the freeway is also considered "illegal"...

My interior is BLACK... SILVER outside, BLACK inside... any tint will look darker than it actually is....
Old 08-11-2006, 02:29 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jicko
Shops here will put in anything you want to.... legal or not... is the owner's own responsibility...
True...but most shops will not not issue you a receipt for illegal tints.
They will do it and warranty, but no "official receipt".
Old 08-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Jicko
Intermediate

I c.

By the way, this is my frd's 996. I like the darkness, but it probably may be too dark for the night. He didn't do his tinting, so he has no idea what % is it, what do u guys think? 20%? 25%?

The CA "legal" limit of front sides are 70%.... I DO NOT think CA people are mostly tinting to that 70% standard.... for 70%... you are better off saving your money... the more conservative strategy is probably.... 40% front sides... and then darker to the back(which have no limit)... creating an illusion of lesser or no tint for the front....

But personally... I like a more uniform look...
Old 08-11-2006, 02:56 PM
evansaero
Pro

I c.
The CA "legal" limit of front sides are 70%.... I DO NOT think CA people are mostly tinting to that 70% standard.... for 70%... you are better off saving your money... the more conservative strategy is probably.... 40% front sides... and then darker to the back(which have no limit)... creating an illusion of lesser or no tint for the front....

But personally... I like a more uniform look...
I had a couple of cars tinted at 35% on the sides when I lived in socal. The interiors were light in color which helped it not look to dark.

Never received a fix a ticket and I have been pulled over a couple of times for other infraction...
Old 08-11-2006, 04:57 PM
jerler
Instructor

They are trying to sell their own products tho....

Also, I'd like to hear recommendations from fellow 996 owners...
There are other things to consider other than tint %. I posted the link because Formula One is considered one of the premier lines and it gives you good info on reflective vs. non-reflective and dyed vs. metallic vs. ceramic. These are all things you need to consider in addition to tint and reading about the Formula products will give you some background no matter what manufacture you go with.

Personally, I do not like the reflective or more mirror like tints. I think ceramic is the way to go. Low reflectivity, radio frequency transparent, and excellent UV protection.

The tint in the pic looks really darker. Darker than 35 I would say but it would be really hard to judge by a picture.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Deven
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 105 Posts

The first thing you have to decide is if you want tint for the aesthetics or for the function. Here in Phoenix, because of extreme heat, IR reduction is paramount. The best tint for that is Huper-Optik. They have several tints, the best being 'Select-Drei' with 98% IR reduction and >99% UV reduction. It is also the most expensive (~$600 range). Solar Guard also make some good tints, but IR reduction is in the 80% range. Best test the installers use is a 300 watt heat lamp behind a windshield, and then alternate the different tints, and you immediately can notice the difference, even between 98% (no heat) and 85% IR reduction. Tints are also available for $150 but almost no IR reduction (and your hand will burn).

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/products_klasse.cfm
Old 08-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Jicko
Intermediate

Anyone know a good installer for "Huper-Optik" here in San Diego, CA?

Quick Reply: What's the best TINT solution for our 996s? "Recent Products"