c4bliss
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

36 for my first 37 for the second!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:07 PM
pvanosta
Instructor

46, Masters in Germanic Languages, Dir. of European Ops. for California-based software company
Old 08-01-2006, 08:33 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
I had read somewhere (this was maybe 6 or 7 yrs ago, so it may not apply to the C6 vette) that the avg vette owner (buying new) was about 60yrs old, male, and 80% were automatics. The Z06's only come in stick so that may have changed the results and at one time I believe the C5's, auto was the standard trans and you had to pay extra for a 6 speed.

I 've own three vettes, a 94 when I was 25, a 95 when I was 26 and a 2002 Z06 when I was 32, (all 6 spds, of course). I bought them all used, but I was usually the youngest vette driver that I came into contact with.

I sold my 02 Z06 recently to a 23 yr old.
Actually the demographics haven't changed that much. Corvette owners by average are getting older and not younger. What the Z06 did, is add some new customers and shift a lot of manual drivers from Coupes and Convertibles to FRC's. For 2005, 59% of all Corvettes were autos. In 2004, 77% of all Corvette Coupes were autos with 71% in 2003 and 70% in 2002. The Z06 has never been higher than 24% of the total Corvette production (2003). They are currently made in much lower numbers then they were a couple of years ago.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

30 when I purchased mine last year.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:26 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Okay, I'm game.

Ph.D. Scientist.
Great to see a fellow nerd

Me: Ph.D. (Recent), Development Engineer in high-tech
Old 08-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

24 when I bought my first. Never been without (at least) one and I am now 53.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by discoganya

Hey, scientists are cool. Engineers are nerds.

Congrats on the recent entry to the club. I was told on the day I obtained mine - okay, you're through the door, now do something with what you learned.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 PM
NSG
Intermediate

OK
MD PhD Neurosciences
Old 08-01-2006, 10:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by discoganya

My wife and I are both nerds (she the M.D. and me the lowly Ph.D.).

30 for our first and 33 for our second. 34 for our upcoming 3rd P-Car. No chance prior to 30 with us being in academia for the better part of our lives!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LVDell
My wife and I are both nerds (she the M.D. and me the lowly Ph.D.).

30 for our first and 33 for our second. 34 for our upcoming 3rd P-Car. No chance prior to 30 with us being in academia for the better part of our lives!
Firstly,it's pretty cool to see where others are coming from.

Secondly...

Don't undersell yourself. There's nothing lowly about a Ph.D.

No offense intended to the MDs that have posted...
An MD takes memorized information to diagnose and treat. A Ph.D can go in with no background knowledge and use nothing but the information at hand (in addition to knowledge of where to find information) and deductive reasoning to understand and modify a system. As a Ph.D you should be able to use resources and logic to understand pretty much anything that is thrown at you. The same cannot be said of an MD. We cannot do surgery, but we should be able to diagnose pretty much anything from a washing machine to color variations in a paint. My training is in chemistry, but with a little time to gather background information I can tackle pretty much anything from any scientific discipline... as long as there is a mechanism, then a system can be understood and modified.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Spoken like a true Ph.D but the whole memorize, diagnose, and treat is gonna get your *** whooped by people like my wife. It is more than that. I thought the same thing until I saw her in action.

My "lowly" comment was more of a compliment of my beautiful, intelligent wife. I am sometimes amazed how fricking smart she is and how good she is at her job. Takes alot to impress somebody of my academic background but she did it. I am just a bit more modest about my education and still can't believe that a typical beer drinking, skirt chasing, frat-boy from the south got as far as I did in academia.

What's funny is she is just as impressed by me but I don't get it. Who do you think she comes to when her weekly JAMA comes in the mail and she needs the stats interpreted to understand that article? That's right. Me, the stats prof. I still don't get it though since I don't see what is so difficult about interpreting stats.

But when all is said and done I still can't believe that growing up as a kid, that postter of the 911 I had on my wall is now sitting in my garage!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

23 and my wife 25. bought our 99 996 six months after graduation...BS Mechanical Engineering
Old 08-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LVDell
Spoken like a true Ph.D but the whole memorize, diagnose, and treat is gonna get your *** whooped by people like my wife. It is more than that. I thought the same thing until I saw her in action.

My "lowly" comment was more of a compliment of my beautiful, intelligent wife. I am sometimes amazed how fricking smart she is and how good she is at her job. Takes alot to impress somebody of my academic background but she did it. I am just a bit more modest about my education and still can't believe that a typical beer drinking, skirt chasing, frat-boy from the south got as far as I did in academia.

What's funny is she is just as impressed by me but I don't get it. Who do you think she comes to when her weekly JAMA comes in the mail and she needs the stats interpreted to understand that article? That's right. Me, the stats prof. I still don't get it though since I don't see what is so difficult about interpreting stats.

But when all is said and done I still can't believe that growing up as a kid, that postter of the 911 I had on my wall is now sitting in my garage!
Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for MDs, but an MD is not a Ph.D and a Ph.D is not an MD. My wife is an electronic engineer (no Ph.D.) and to be honest what she does boggles my mind.

I like your description of college life... sounds about typical for most PhuDs.

As for being a stats. prof. That takes stamina. I still remember throwing my first stats. text book at the wall and putting a big crease through it... never used it again... in fact, I probably don't use most of the mathematics that I learned.

I design and make materials... just a fancy cook, but it's a lot of fun.

I too had the poster on my wall... mine was a black slantnose. I always said I would have one.... ended up with the 996, but the slantnose still gets me everytime I see one.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by oreganet
Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for MDs, but an MD is not a Ph.D and a Ph.D is not an MD. My wife is an electronic engineer (no Ph.D.) and to be honest what she does boggles my mind.

I like your description of college life... sounds about typical for most PhuDs.

As for being a stats. prof. That takes stamina. I still remember throwing my first stats. text book at the wall and putting a big crease through it... never used it again... in fact, I probably don't use most of the mathematics that I learned.

I design and make materials... just a fancy cook, but it's a lot of fun.

I too had the poster on my wall... mine was a black slantnose. I always said I would have one.... ended up with the 996, but the slantnose still gets me everytime I see one.
Awesome! Mine was a white slantnose. I thinkn the caption was something like "perfection." I still get giddy everytime I get behind the wheel and drive the car.

Quick Reply: average owner age