996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Lotus Esprit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 12:57 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an aside - I had the opportunity to visit the Lotus factory in Norfolk, East Anglia, UK. in the 90's

First thing you noticed was the traditional front entrance with a low hedge to one side of the parking lot, behind which could be heard the screaming of engines and tires.

A quick peak over the hedge revealed a small test track, with a test driver giving a car a severe work out

Factory was pretty amazing, but the image that sticks with me to this day were the dumpsters sitting out back with whole cars stuffed in them, wheels and all!

It was like someone had thrown all their Hotwheels cars back in the toy box in a hurry, only these were real full size cars!!!

I had to ask what was going on - and was told that it was 'cheaper to just trash a whole car if there were QA issues during production'.

Stripping parts back off the cars was 'too expensive', although they did have someone that went back to the dumpsters to take the alloys off and re-use them!

Never seen anything like it before or since - 'supercars' in dumpsters

Chris.

Last edited by cdodkin; 07-29-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:00 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

<<<<"Never seen anything like it before or since - 'supercars' in dumpsters ">>>>

That is an insane story. I doubt that is the case today but maybe we should check into it. Perhaps we could form a group to go dumpster raiding and pick up some Elises or Exiges on the cheap.

Quick Reply: Lotus Esprit?