Sponsored by:

Porsche novelty worn off yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:14 PM
2fas4u
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool upgrade

felt the same way until i supercharged and i live in nc by country roads and boy do they take me home. Now i drive for no reason at all just to feel the power, i'm addicted. Sometimes i think about the pointless miles on back roads and come to my senses, if I'm not enjoying the car then why do i have it that's when i speed up.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:59 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

I believe that is a pretty normal feeling for all car enthusiasts.
We all crave for engineering excellence, new technology, and excitement.
The same with everything else in life, women, sex, food, etc...after having it for long,
we start taking it for granted, and we yearn for change, for something better.

I felt the same with the BMW 540i too, and that was one of the reasons why I had to sell it to get something else. (main reason: Porsche is my dream car)
Although I loved that sports sedan very much and was quite reluctant to part with it.
If only I could keep it, but I already have 3 vehicles at home between my wife and myself.
There's no room to park another baby in the garage and I don't want to leave a good car outside.

I drive my Chevy S10 pickup truck to work most days, and on ****ty rainy days.
I park it any damn where I like with no stress of door dings from idiots.
But once in a while when I get in the bimmer...I never fail to smile.
And I remind myself...this is why they make these cars more expensive.

It would of course be nice to be able to, or afford to, keep all the cars we love.
And to have space to keep them. I would have a sports car, a luxury car, a sports sedan, a SUV, a monster Pickup truck...
but a poor man like myself would just have to stop dreaming and enjoy what I love one at a time.
If I feel like it's time for a change, I start moving on. Life is short, gotta live for the moment.

For now, when I'm in my Porsche, it makes me feel goooood.
A Dream come true is a sweet feeling and I actually smile behind the wheel.
So I'm gonna enjoy it for now until I yearn for something else...
Old 07-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by care4era
It is about is year since I bought my first 996 and I can say for the first 10 months I loved it and I was haunted if I did not take it out.

Now the novelty is sort of wearing off as I sort of get the feeling been there done that. I could say I am going through "a car is a car" phase and I do not feel privileged driving it anymore. Anyone else after a year or 2 get the same bored feeling and long for comfy saloon with all the comforts and a meaty engine?

In a word.......no. I love these cars and even with 2 of them I still feel like every drive is very special. Like Dell, I travel very frequently. As a result I drive an awful lot of rental cars. After a trip with a rental, I can't wait to get in my Porsche when I return to the airport parking lot.

Additionally, it helps to take your Porsche to the track every now and again to experience the cars true capabilities IMHO.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Well today I confirmed that the answer is no... the novelty has not worn off. Case in point: Today my son had to produce a urine sample for his 5 yr check-up with his pediatrician. I also decided to work from home today and volunteered to take the sample to the pediatrician's office just 20 mins away. I could have chosen the beater (1999 Ford Exploder) for this task, but instead I double zip bagged the sample and off I went in my nice and shiny P-car. IMHO - that was probably the most fun that urine sample will ever have, and as for me I rediscovered how awesome the P-car is, even if it just for running errands... Next I'm planning a trip for this afternoon in the P-car to the Home Depot, to get some paint for the weekend home improvement project...

Cheers all!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:02 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

I think part of the reason I'm slightly less in love has to do with the fact that I've *had* to do so much driving lately, often in traffic. I spent over $400 on gas last month, and didn't spend all that much time on twisties.. or on the accelerator. That's why I love the Rennlist mornings - the drive to breakfast afterwards is often spirited I try to suspend my fear of speeding tickets, too - don't want to think what it would do to my insurance rates. On that note, only 13 months until I turn 25!

If I were "smart", I'd stop tracking all my auto expenses in Quicken

But I'm not

Quick Reply: Porsche novelty worn off yet?