Sponsored by:

Porsche novelty worn off yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:46 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast40th
I can relate to this, I pretty much have to do the same to access the P-car and then face crowded freeways to get to work and back, but in no way is it a sign of fading novelty, since on the weekends or a day off with intent of getting time for myself and find Zen through the local canyons, there is no question how much joy I continue to get from driving my P-car on the twisties. Way better and cheaper than a shrink!

What I do get out of my beater is the simplicity of going from point A to point B regardless of the road condition and traffic, and the associated freedom of parking on any available spot.
so i took the car to work today. felt great, but still not as good as the first time.
damn, even sex isn't as good once get used to it.
but then i found out i couldn't push the car cause the traffic. maybe that's why, i didn't fully "doing" it!
i will try to locate some time and sign up for DE with my local PCA.

btw, my cel turned out to be a fault purge valve, tech replaced the purge valve and tighted all pipes, 3K miles late, nothing came out. thanks.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Verist
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, I don't have one YET. For me it wont be a novelty, I have wanted one since I was a small child..
Old 07-26-2006, 12:18 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve owned a Porsche (various models) for 7 years now (although I have wanted one since I was 8 years old). I think it truly takes a certain type of person/driver to live with a Porsche on a daily basis. Don’t get me wrong they are fantastic cars and I can’t see my self without one, but they are not for everyone. Fortunately for someone like me who likes to buy 1-3 year old cars, there are many who buy Porsches of the name and allure of the image of the car but find out after having the car for a period of time that he/she really doesn’t want to live with one on a daily basis or want one for what they are. Additionally, there are just some car owners that are what I like to call “car ******” who want something different every so often. As a self proclaimed/confessed “car *****” I can identify with those desires (currently I am having a problem because I find my self longing for a 997 C4S) and I can see how it would make someone want something else frequently.

I think that daily driving my Porsche does tend to spoil and/or dull my thoughts on the car (where I forget how great the car really is). I have found that the cure, for me at least, and like many others have stated, is to drive a different car for a period of time. When traveling out of town with my wife we usually take her car, which I consider a great car (328i e46 bodystyle). As great a car as hers is, it always makes me appreciate the difference between a sporty sedan and a sports car. Even driving great daily drivers like a Honda Accord, not to mention some the domestic pieces of crap, make me appreciate what I have. If you spend some time driving a sporty sedan and find that you like it better or don’t long for the Porsche, maybe you just fall into the category of someone who really is not a daily Porsche owner (not that there is anything wrong with that).
Old 07-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by an02boxster
I can't see this with a 996.
I live in FL real a/c is it.
I've had lots of porsches.
I did get tired of all of them in the summer but this one (C4) just gets better in the summer, I love this car in the rain, find myself hoping for rain.
When I had my 2001 C4 I used to love it when it rained!!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:59 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDotDan
A new set of pipes or some coil-overs can start the love affair all over again.
Dan dot Dan has the right idea. I drove my car bone stock for 3 1/2 years. In the last 6 months, I've added PSS9s, exhaust, & new intake. The car feels, sounds and even looks different - all for the better. This was a lot cheaper than buying a GT3 I've been lusting for. Get coilovers, lower the car and dial in some negative camber. See how much better the front wheels bite in a corner. The front end will feel lighter, but you'll definetly get a new experience.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:46 PM
SPD_GELB
Intermediate

I drove a 964C4cab daily for three years and every time I parked (at home or at work) I looked back and sighed that I had to leave the cockpit, and smiled everytime I opened the door.

I sold the car last August and spent 11 Months looking for a 996. ( I was VERY picky)

Now, I have a gorgeous speed yellow 03 C2cab and the fever is even greater than before. I find myself leaving work 1-2 hours early (vacation time of course) just to enjoy the extra 75hp. But even in stop and go I still feel like a superstar just knowing what I could do if the road was clear.

I LOVE MY PORSCHE!!!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about you guys.....

My car's rock, and I don't drive them anywhere near dangerous extremes. I love it when I see those guys in there BMW 3 somethings and the cheaper mercedes that drive around like they are the coolest thing on the road..... Until they see me, or rather, my car.

I have an A4 and when I haven't driven it in awhile it feels like a toy car, where is the acceleration and the brakes???

I must admit that when I went from the newer Boxster to the 996 I had no immediate love affair, although I love to drive her; but, I believe we are lucky enough to be driving some of the best cars on the road
Old 07-27-2006, 01:33 AM
c4bliss
Racer

Had one now 19 months and the other a year, and NO WAY have they lost it with me. Driving either one is a instant smile, and driving my coupe all set up for track... i must look like lighting hit me im soo jazzed up when i get out of that car, esp on the track... this is one affair that wont end soon (its just that these mistresses are so DAMN expensive to love)
Old 07-27-2006, 02:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

i actually dont like any of my porsches. i dont like driving them much, t hinking of selling them all,

these random stupid thoughts all vanish when i take them out for a weekend blast or a trip to the race track. then i am at peace with my porsche again ;-)
Old 07-27-2006, 02:16 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

<<<<"this is one affair that wont end soon (its just that these mistresses are so DAMN expensive to love)">>>>

arn't they all?????
Old 07-27-2006, 11:55 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My purchase 3 years ago was deliberate and non emotional. I looked for well over a year to find a car that had it all. By this I mean the right color, condition, options, etc. I still love looking at my car with the top down, Arctic Silver Sports seats and console, with Carbon shift and brake accenting Space Grey full leather interior with tons of Exclusive Option leather covered everything and Silver gauges. It has the right look for me that I never tire of. The snap of the PSE makes me smile every time I start it up. So far the longer I have it, the better I like it. I learned years ago that this is the reward for a thought out and carefully planned purchase. Buying on a whim usually results in quickly tireing of what ever was purchased .
Old 07-27-2006, 12:15 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see pics of the interior. It sounds awesome!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I've had mine for well over 5 years, and I still glance back everytime after I park. It has been a love affair since I was 10, so a 911 isn't something I'd ever get tired of. Just think, I don't even live anywhere near a track, or anywhere that offers ample canyon roads and ocean views. Sure, I'm no longer sleepless at night from the giddiness, but there's still no substitute.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:12 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Let me put it this way: sometimes I think the affair is over. And yet, in spite of this, I find myself restraining myself from just going out and driving it every time I have a few minutes. Maybe it's now an addiction?

I'm driving a Chevy Cobalt this week while I'm out of town. We'll see what happens when I come back I drove a Chevy Tahoe around for a bit before I left, when I hopped back in the 911, I nearly turned in to a corner rather than going around it

Justin
Old 07-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

My love affair with Porsche cars would be shorter if I didn't track the car. If you don't take your car to the track, it is pretty easy to be seduced by more comfortable yet equally powerful cars. A once a month track session rekindles the love affair.

Quick Reply: Porsche novelty worn off yet?