996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche novelty worn off yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 06:43 PM
delirium
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, for me feeling of speed is gone. Now my C2 feels just any other quick car... but when i got it 6 mo. ago, it was 'oh sh*t" fast!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:20 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm in a different city every week for 4 days out of seven in different rental cars of all shapes and sizes. When I get on the plane to fly home, it doesn't matter how great the service in executive class is or how cute and attentive the flight attendant is, I start to obsess with getting home so I can get into the Porsche for the drive home from the airport!
Yeah, drive ordinary cars once in awhile and you'll appreciate your p-car that much more.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:26 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Maybe you should all sell your 996's and get a 993... You might enjoy driving again..

-- Just kidding, just kidding... OJPIMPSON started it.. lol.. I was just visiting your board when I saw this thread...

Can i just get a hug?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:32 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

How funny, the 996 C4 effect has worn off. I have been tire kicking something major. Test drove a Lotus and just put an offer in on used Cayenne Turbo (interim car for a while, as I make my next move). Was also thinking an RS America. Not sure I am really comfortable putting a GT3 on the track. Not there in terms of baller status, to track an $80k-$90k car. After some twit almost took me out in the rain in his new GT3, I realize that it’s often not even your fault.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:38 PM
kclipse
Intermediate

After I took my 996 to the mountain road and raced against my friend's STI, fully modded Integra for the first time, I realized what a beast I'm driving! My car is totally stock, and I could follow my friends very closely. (Their car is heavily modded, and my car is BONE STOCK!!) This just makes me appreciate my car every time I drive it.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pl
i have to confess:
this morning, when i go to work, my p-car is in garage, and my beater is out side. i have to move the beater to get the p-car out, and once i started the beater, i said to myself, what the hell, i just drive the beater to work today, not the p-car.
novelty is fading. fast than i think.......
I can relate to this, I pretty much have to do the same to access the P-car and then face crowded freeways to get to work and back, but in no way is it a sign of fading novelty, since on the weekends or a day off with intent of getting time for myself and find Zen through the local canyons, there is no question how much joy I continue to get from driving my P-car on the twisties. Way better and cheaper than a shrink!

What I do get out of my beater is the simplicity of going from point A to point B regardless of the road condition and traffic, and the associated freedom of parking on any available spot.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:06 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Damn. reading this thread has been seriously depressing.

I've owned my 996 for about 4 months now and we are definitely still on our honeymoon - still going hot and heavy. I feel as though I just married a supermodel in her prime, Christie Brinkley maybe, and you simply do not get tired of that quickly.

I'm going out for a ride, I SERIOUSLY SUGGEST YOU GUYS DO THE SAME!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

If the honeymoon seems to be over, I suggest you make your own **** by taking your car and a camcorder and doing a track event. You'll rekindle the passion.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

totally concur with Mark! I have so many DVD's of track events that I can't ever get tired of it. Pop in one of those forms of car **** and your heart start racing. Damn I love my car
Old 07-25-2006, 08:35 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by care4era
It is about is year since I bought my first 996 and I can say for the first 10 months I loved it and I was haunted if I did not take it out.

Now the novelty is sort of wearing off as I sort of get the feeling been there done that. I could say I am going through "a car is a car" phase and I do not feel privileged driving it anymore. Anyone else after a year or 2 get the same bored feeling and long for comfy saloon with all the comforts and a meaty engine?

do what i do. two cars:

http://photos.jkb.org/v/cars/911/IMG_1166.jpg.html
Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by delirium
well, for me feeling of speed is gone. Now my C2 feels just any other quick car... but when i got it 6 mo. ago, it was 'oh sh*t" fast!!!
If you drive the same car every day you become accustomed to its performance. As others have posted, it's important to force yourself to drive another car like a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry for a couple of days and the honeymoon will quickly return.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:34 PM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
This is a very simple thing to fix. Go rent a car for 1 entire week (5 work days and 2 weekend days) and you will never believe you posted this thread.

Trust me.

I had a rental for a week after visitng family for a wedding and 1 week in a rental really makes you miss your baby and I have had mine for several years!

No better way to rekindle the romance! I travel 100+ days a year and after a good slog through the crappy domestic car pile I can't wait to get home to my cars...and I don't even have a Porsche (yet!).
Old 07-25-2006, 11:11 PM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see this with a 996.
I live in FL real a/c is it.
I've had lots of porsches.
I did get tired of all of them in the summer but this one (C4) just gets better in the summer, I love this car in the rain, find myself hoping for rain.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:07 AM
DanDotDan
Pro

I've been driving my as a daily driver for just over a year now. Honestly, I'm falling deeper and deeper in love with the car the more I drive it. It's so stable, so comfortable, so fast, so pretty, and it has so much character. Like others in this thread I've gotten used to the power so that doesn't wow me any more. But I just did my first driving event a few weeks ago and I came away with a great respect for Porsche's track abilities. There are some niggling problems like a lack of trunk space and too many rattles from the sun roof but they're easy to overlook.

If the magic is gone from your relationship maybe you could try some modifications. A new set of pipes or some coil-overs can start the love affair all over again.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:44 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Well I can say I lost the wandering into the garage every chance I get and the wow I can't believe I actually have it.

Though, I don't wish to upgrade this for any other car or newer/faster model. Though I do long for a second P-car (not counting my wifes Cayenne S).

Take it to the track, and your will get an appreciation for the car and the way its is build. You'll find a lot of 20 year old Porsches at the track as well and that should speak volumes as to how well these cars are built and handle.

While driving some other cars but not including the Cayenne. I don't feel safe. There bouncy, soft, heavy and the wind pushes you all over the place. While having to constantly correct the wandering, step on the throttle and then you wait for some response which usually just engine noise and the gas needle going down.

While I am in my car, I can feel the control I have over it. The stability, the tight and precise steering and the willingness to please this car has once the throttle is pressed.
I don't think I will ever get tired of that. I like the looks, the feeling, the bit of ambiguity and anonymousness of not driving a F or L car. Sorry, but nothing else does compare.

Quick Reply: Porsche novelty worn off yet?