Sponsored by:

Driving in Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in Maryland

So we're out from LA in Baltimore for 6 weeks this summer, and one of the ways our family kills time is to drive... and drive and drive (as painful as that can be in the Kia van).

As a lifelong SoCal guy, I can hardly wrap my mind around the phenomenal roads you have out here in the MD/PA area. On Saturday we went for a drive to the Amish countryside, and (apart from a roaring thunderstorm or two) I could hardly believe the roads we were driving on. Up, down, left, right, over bridges, under bridges, for miles on end. I had no idea!

We simply have nothing like this in California - as beautiful as it is at home, there are just too many people, too few good roads. You've got it good out here!
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2006, 09:31 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's where I learned to drive as a kid, in the back roads of Upper Marlboro, MD. Anyway, there are some nice mountain roads in Norcal especially going from Oakland/San Fran to Discovery Bay. Why don't you take a ride one weekend.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:13 AM
smankow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and don't forget the PCH from SF down toward Monterrey (Pebble Beach, etc.)

I guess we all take our locations for granted after a while. In Philly, I like driving along with rivers with great winding road, etc. as long as it's not during rush hour.

I do agree that Amish Country is quite beautiful. It's great seeing them plow with fields the old fashion way - with the oxen pulling the plow.

Hopefully, the weather will improve for you over the next few weeks.

Steve
2003 996
Old 07-25-2006, 04:56 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

We've got amazing roads in Western Maryland. Smoother pavement than PA roads. But some of the real gems are in north east West Virginia. There is an autocross at the airport in Cumberland, MD this weekend and all the roads leading there are great.

http://www.nationalroadrally.com/info.html
Old 07-25-2006, 06:02 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

I totally agree with you Rick.

I've lived in southeastern PA my entire life(about 15 minutes from Amish country) and I didn't realize how great our roads were here until a friend of mine got a MB CLK430 about 7 years ago. Now, after buying my P-car I honestly can't believe how great the roads truly are here.

I drove the P-car for the first time to visit my sister who lives far out in the country, a drive that includes driving past many farms, through covered bridges, and many great twists and turns. It is a drive that I have made many times before but in the P-car it was pure bliss(the perfect weather was also a plus). If someone had told me that I had died and gone to heaven I would have believed them.

This is now how I envision heaven, a scenic twisty country road and your favorite P-car.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:00 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
I totally agree with you Rick.

I've lived in southeastern PA my entire life(about 15 minutes from Amish country) and I didn't realize how great our roads were here until a friend of mine got a MB CLK430 about 7 years ago. Now, after buying my P-car I honestly can't believe how great the roads truly are here.

I drove the P-car for the first time to visit my sister who lives far out in the country, a drive that includes driving past many farms, through covered bridges, and many great twists and turns. It is a drive that I have made many times before but in the P-car it was pure bliss(the perfect weather was also a plus). If someone had told me that I had died and gone to heaven I would have believed them.

This is now how I envision heaven, a scenic twisty country road and your favorite P-car.

Wow - I am jealous - I grew up in the midwest and have been to many great locations throughout the East, but never in a Porsche. Now that I own one, I am more likely to be stuck in LA gridlock than pushing the car down a twisty road with noone blocking my progress.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:05 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Is there a thread discussing good short drives? If not, we should start one ...

Quick Reply: Driving in Maryland