996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Buying from a PO vs car dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I've always bought new, always traded in the old for the new.

My point? I always thought serious buyers prefer to buy from dealers, and it is too much hassle dealing with the "left-over buyers" whose only goal was to find the deal of the century.

Glad to know that there ARE indeed serious buyers who prefer the private sale. I am on the list for a 997 GT3 and will likely put the C4S up for sale fall of 2007.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:44 PM
TomP
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. I was actually leaning towards the private sellers' car. At least he responds to my emails. (The dealer has yet to reply to any!)

I'll let you know how it goes.

tom
Old 07-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pl
ot here.

oreganet, nice head light mod! i want to the same, can u tell where to get them?
Glad you like them... you can get it from here...

https://www.automotion.com/productpa...adlight+Covers

Unfortunately, I didn't do the install (previous owner), but I'm told that it's as easy as painting to match the body color and sticking them in place.

I've seen them on three different color cars and have liked each one.

.. one drawback. I would like to upgrade my light to the litronic kit, but as far as I can tell cannot do so without losing the mods. I figure that I like the look of the headlights more than my desire to upgrade them.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting

My point? I always thought serious buyers prefer to buy from dealers, and it is too much hassle dealing with the "left-over buyers" whose only goal was to find the deal of the century.

Glad to know that there ARE indeed serious buyers who prefer the private sale. I am on the list for a 997 GT3 and will likely put the C4S up for sale fall of 2007.

...and we're glad that there are people like you out there who are prepared to pay the first year depreciation for people like us.

I stopped buying new cars long ago, as I thought that paying depreciation was not smart. Personally, I prefer to buy a car that's a couple of years old in great condition and has full service records.

.. you get the same car in "as-new" condition and don't have to waste the money that you flush down the drain as you drive off the dealer's lot.

As for buying from a dealer - it's like gambling in vegas, the odds are stacked against you and the dealer will always have the upper hand one way or another.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:29 AM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting

For a Porsche, it's probably easier to sell at a price you're happy with (compared to the dealer's offer) than it is to find the one you want when you're buying. I think if you give everyone a heads up here when you want to sell, you'll get a fair offer, as people will know they're buying from someone who cared for the car, and the dealer will normally try to kill you. For many dealers, profit margins on pre-owned cars are higher than on selling new cars because of how cheap they are for them to buy when people trade in.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:23 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

The ideal source for a used sports car is an original owner, imo. One that you have met and have some gut feel regarding his sports car experience, enthusiasm level, and driving maturity (does he wait for the engine oil to reach operating temp before redlining it?). Of course full maintenance records and a successful PPI are still a requirement.

The least desirable source would be a dealer. But that just shows my general distaste for and distrust of dealers! And I really place a high value on being able to talk to the previous owner and getting my questions/concerns answered.

I would also never buy a used car sight unseen (ie, the eBay way). I don't know how people can do that!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:42 PM
TomP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
The ideal source for a used sports car is an original owner, imo. One that you have met and have some gut feel regarding his sports car experience, enthusiasm level, and driving maturity (does he wait for the engine oil to reach operating temp before redlining it?). Of course full maintenance records and a successful PPI are still a requirement.
But what if he's owned the car for almost 2 years, and because "newer Porsches don't require a lot of maintenance, he didn't pay much attention to it" with respect to servicing!?! (Paraphrased from his email.) He also relied on CarFax in making the decision to buy it in the first place, and we all know how reliable that is!

I'm talking to him tomorrow night, so I'll get a better feel for what kind of owner he is. Maybe I can leverage this lackadaisical approach to service in my favor.

tom

ps Do I need the current owners' permission to find out about the service history of the previous owner? Should I attempt to contact the previous owner for his permission?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
yes you do.
Not in Georgia. If you buy from a privatep arty you pay no sales tax.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Tom,
What color is this car you are looking at? My brother and I just looked at a few 996s and a boxster being sold by the owners.

PM me if you dont want to publish it. If we dont bid against each other we both win (and the seller loses ).
Old 07-25-2006, 09:42 PM
searching4996
Racer

I've purchased my last three cars directly from the former owner, and if I can I will always do so in the future. There is no substitute for a frank conversation with the fellow who spent the past few years in the car. What can a car salesman really tell you about a model you are prepared to buy that you don't already know?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:23 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TomP
But what if he's owned the car for almost 2 years, and because "newer Porsches don't require a lot of maintenance, he didn't pay much attention to it" with respect to servicing!?! (Paraphrased from his email.) He also relied on CarFax in making the decision to buy it in the first place, and we all know how reliable that is!
I would skip it.

One thing there is absolutely no shortage of is used Porsches. Many are in excellent shape and are superbly maintained. Just be patient and you will find everything to your liking. Thanks to Porsche's lousy depreciation of late, you'll be able to find a great deal too.

Enjoy the hunt!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Deven
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by slaaw
Not so in Cal, where one must pay sales tax on the purchase price when registering the car, regardless of the source of the purchase.
In Arizona you do NOT have to pay sales tax when purchaced from private owner (but you do from dealer, even when used).
Old 07-26-2006, 02:08 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Buying a Porsche is an emotional experience, and it can be a deciding factor either way to deal with the previous owner. A dealer has at his disposal all the tricks to make an extremely poorly cared for car appear nearly brand new or in mint cindition, whereas the owner will most likely show you the car in its as kept condition. Often times dealer cars are missing records, receipts, keys, tools and all kinds of extras that a PP seller will throw in with the deal. Dealer cars are sometimes ones that the previous owners cannot sell privately for any number of reasons. I would most always perfer to deal with an owner if you can find the right car.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick49
Buying a Porsche is an emotional experience, and it can be a deciding factor either way to deal with the previous owner. A dealer has at his disposal all the tricks to make an extremely poorly cared for car appear nearly brand new or in mint cindition, whereas the owner will most likely show you the car in its as kept condition. Often times dealer cars are missing records, receipts, keys, tools and all kinds of extras that a PP seller will throw in with the deal. Dealer cars are sometimes ones that the previous owners cannot sell privately for any number of reasons. I would most always perfer to deal with an owner if you can find the right car.

Well said.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Never having sold my prior cars privately, I have a question for y'all. For arguments sake, lets say I want to upgrade Nov 2007.

What do you guys think is a reasonable time period to try and sell the old car before it has to go as a trade in for the new car? Start trying to sell 3 months earlier, like Aug? Sooner? Later?

Quick Reply: Buying from a PO vs car dealer