996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Spacers vs Handling ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought that the MKI 996 GT3 cars came with 5mm spacers on them (front and rear) to improve track handling? It surely can't be a bad idea. That said, I'm running them all around and it definitely 'feels' more excited to turn 'into' and drive hard 'through' corners than it did before.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:26 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly!

Originally Posted by mdrums
thanks...these are the type of post's I was looking for.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Actually cup cars have the same fenders as our cars and don't have super wide wheels. I think they are 9s and 11s. Usually they race on what amounts to about a 235-245 in front and 285 on back.

A wider car is theoretically better but a modern Porsche suspension is a tricky thing. Also, adding spacers is adding extra stress to a street suspension that is already under extra stress on the track.

At the end of the day, it is unlikely that you will have any trouble with reasonably sized spacers on the track. It is equally unlikely that you will see any advantage.
Jim
The only reason cup cars would run with these tire widths is because anything wider would be illegal.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:11 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
The only reason cup cars would run with these tire widths is because anything wider would be illegal.
Perhaps although not dramatically wider. I think the fastest tires for those cars are the Supercup series slicks from Michelin which are about those sizes. I don’t pretend to have any meaningful knowledge in the area though. Just what I pick up from friends in the pits.

This I do know. You can’t say a cup car is wider and therefore wider is better so adding spacers to a 996 will make it handle better. Neither can you say a GT3 comes with 5 mm spacers and a GT3 handles better than a 996 so adding spacers will make a 996 handle better. Neither can you say that a rulebook for an autocross series says that spacers progress you to another class so spacers are good and will make a 996 handle better.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t put spacers on your 996. I have 7mm and 15mm spacers on my street car just to make it look good. I’m just saying that Mike asked how spacers will impact handling. Don’t tell him that it will improve handling unless you know that to be true and I’m pretty sure nobody here knows that to be true. I’ve spent more time and money changing and testing suspension parts on my 996 than anyone this side of Grand Am Cup and I don’t know the answer.

Ok, I’m climbing off my soapbox and going back to work now.
Jim
Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

JimB, thank you for you honest answer.

Quick Reply: Spacers vs Handling ?