Evolution supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:47 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StuartFirm
We want to hear your stories of amazment after you get the mod installed. Please make sure to heed our advice to use only an authorized installer.

hey stuart, what "cold air intake" are you using? something custom? the evoms intake is burried int he engine compartment (something that is not quite ideal) and can't even remotely be called a "cold air intake"
Old 08-25-2006, 10:54 PM
toolu
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 years full time technical training and an additional five years working on Porsches. That doesn't count as much as how many posts I have made? Rumor is there is some legal action against EVO right now due to s/c's. Hey at least the s/c doesn't sound like a coffee can full of rocks at idle.....o wait a minute. Just because you want to justify all of the money you put into molesting a Porsche does not mean there is not some great deficiencies in the "R&D" of these aftermarket companies. Ten whole thousand miles, wow. Lets see what you have to say in another 10k. I know of 6 EVO s/c'd cars personally and all of them had at least one of the concerns along with, coolant hose rubbing on supercharger bracket, supercharger bracket rubbing through o2 sensor harness, oil smoke complaints, oil leak complaints ( all of the early superchargers had an incorrectly placed and sized crush ring on a supercharger oil plug). I only have good intentions, just trying to warn people about the GREATEST SNAKE OIL SCAM in the automotive industry today, the aftermarket "oops I must have missplaced the dyno sheet, Oh he is out of the office right now" companys. Please heed my advise people, If you want an better car just buy a used GT3, that is what 2 previous EVO s/c'd owners I know did. Thank you and have a great day.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:48 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb HUMMMM

Originally Posted by toolu
3 years full time technical training and an additional five years working on Porsches. That doesn't count as much as how many posts I have made? Rumor is there is some legal action against EVO right now due to s/c's. Hey at least the s/c doesn't sound like a coffee can full of rocks at idle.....o wait a minute. Just because you want to justify all of the money you put into molesting a Porsche does not mean there is not some great deficiencies in the "R&D" of these aftermarket companies. Ten whole thousand miles, wow. Lets see what you have to say in another 10k. I know of 6 EVO s/c'd cars personally and all of them had at least one of the concerns along with, coolant hose rubbing on supercharger bracket, supercharger bracket rubbing through o2 sensor harness, oil smoke complaints, oil leak complaints ( all of the early superchargers had an incorrectly placed and sized crush ring on a supercharger oil plug). I only have good intentions, just trying to warn people about the GREATEST SNAKE OIL SCAM in the automotive industry today, the aftermarket "oops I must have missplaced the dyno sheet, Oh he is out of the office right now" companys. Please heed my advise people, If you want an better car just buy a used GT3, that is what 2 previous EVO s/c'd owners I know did. Thank you and have a great day.
I agree with you buy a GT3 and Supercharger it! I went to technicians school many years ago and found out there where many technicians that could pass a technical test but when it came to screwing in a spark plug just couldn't remember RIGHTY Tighty - LEFTY Loosey and stripped more spark plugs then I can remember. The SC install is important and the parts...well parts are parts and can fail from one to the next depending on manufacturing quality control.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:04 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

RUMOR, that's all that is what you are providing. name names and maybe even where you work then you might gain some credibility. you can provide this list a great service by shedding some light about this supposed legal action. if you don't have any specifics then it is only RUMOR.

coffee can full of rocks? HAH mine doesn't sound like that, my lightweight flywheel does though. the vortech supercharger is one of the most quiet. if you were referring to a TPC supercharger then i would actually agree with you, lol.

i am not justifying the amount of money i spent. in fact i didn't spend as much as others since i bought it used. yes USED from a friend and it's been practically perfect. the GIAC software is rock solid smooth and NO stumbling. actually it has been stock dependable. do you think porsche's are perfect? ha! every model has their own set of problems. how is this any different than what you are griping about.

"personally know 6 EVO SC'd 996s with concerns", any that have failed? like i said and someone else has said. IT"S ALL IN THE INSTALL. these things can occur even with stock items.

the only thing i would agree with you... if you have the cash then get the TT, get the gt3/2, get the carrera gt, get a f'ing enzo. the SC is an alternative to stock. mods make the world go round, at least on rennlist. you even have gt3/TT/gt2 guys increasing power output, upgrading the suspensions, etc...to increase the performance. puh leeese "aftermarket snake oil".

hey, for all i know, you might be telling the truth but it just sounds like you have an axe to grind with EVO.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe what you've written for the most part. While I don't think after-market forced induction systems are snake oil, I have seen some terrible kits and some even worse installation work. I know what you mean with the "he's out of the office" excuses from companies that just don't stand behind their products.

And post counts are no source of credibility. For that matter, this is my second Rennlist account (I forgot the password for the first one after changing ISPs) but all these forum sites are not a source of authoritative information, just a place for enthusiasts to share their experiences
Old 08-26-2006, 04:28 PM
StuartFirm
Instructor

Karlooz:

Yes, I agree the EVO air intake is not ideal, but that is what I am using. I think my next mod will be to make a long snorkel or ram-charger device and have it molded to the roofline near the windshield and color matched for true cold, forced air on top of forced air induction (that should be a fun one). No, just kidding, I'm not spending that kind of money on it at this point, but if someone has done this and has some numbers for torque and hp improvement, I would consider it.

ToolU:

I really don't understand your animosity towards EVO, I'm approaching nearly 20K miles on my EVO system and over 88K miles overall and I have no problems except for the botched install by the first installers. After GMG got everything sorted out for me, the car has been a blast. If I have to express any displeasure, it would be that on our really hot & humid days (95+ F.deg. plus 70%+ humidity) here in Arkansas with the air conditioner on high and sitting at a stoplight, sometimes the car stumbles when I try to first give it a little gas and sometimes it even dies as I begin to let out the clutch. Now, I know it isn't me just stalling the car, but I am not sure if the stumble/stall is because of the GIAC software or the lack of reciprocating mass with my lightweight flywheel. It truly feels like the software. Nevertheless, this has maybe only happened 10-15 times all summer, so it truly is no big deal. I would gladly trade a stumble in extreme heat for the added power of my whisper quite, EVO supercharger.

Oh yeah, and if I'm just looking for something to complain about, the car maybe once 1 out of 100 or 150 times will stall when I decelerate from prolonged high rev. speeds, depress the clutch and rapidly stop with the shifter in neutral; however, I am positive this problem is caused by the lack of reciprocating mass and the computer management system just not being fast enough to figure out the right fuel/air mixture to find and hold 800 rpms for idling. The car truly is now modified to go fast and get there quickly, while still being a very reasonable daily driver.

** NOTE some would say my exhaust is too loud for a daily driver, but that is just a personal preference, not a performance issue. Also, my exhaust is loud if you are under hard acceleration, but under 80mph and less highway cruising, it really isn't that noticeable and does not interfere with listening to the radio. I'll admit to turning off the radio much more often and tilting the otherwise useless sunroof to hear more of the exhaust note.

Last edited by StuartFirm; 08-26-2006 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Add note about exhaust
Old 08-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

toolu: You must be a shill for the "other guys"....you're one of the few people I've heard come out so vociferously against the EVO technology.....When you talk to folks like StuartFirm and karlooz...guys who have actually put them in or run them, not talking from hearsay or some sort of affiliation with the dark side...the guys who have been there and done that....in the end they hold a lot more credibility than someone spouting non specifics. I'm sure that if there were that many problems directly related to EVO systems out there, they wouln't enjoy the following or commendable business reputation they have. I'm with karlooz....you are talking out of the wrong orifice.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

hmmmmm....... i'll gladly take an EVO SUPERCHARGER and test it out for you.... NON BIAS of course.......
Old 11-23-2006, 02:39 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Just .02 on the 'can of rocks' comment: As it happens, I heard one this morning at the shop where I was getting a bunch of work done on my C2. They had just finished installing an EVOMS SC on a 996. This car also had an open exhaust, FWIW.

I thought it sounded fantastic.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:57 PM
StuartFirm
Instructor

They do sound fantastic. They also FEEL fantastic. I just re-read this thread and thought I would provide an update to address the "daily driver" aspect. I normally drive my 986 as my daily driver, but I have a couple of my clients (who happen to be professional boxers) staying at my house for training camp and they needed a car, so I wisely offered up my 986 rather than my SC'd 996. Accordingly, I have been driving my SC'd 996 for over a month now on a daily basis and do believe it will be difficult to go back to my 986 as a daily driver. My SC'd 996 is just such a joy to drive. Granted, the modified suspension is a little taught for a 15 mile daily commute and putting around downtown Little Rock streets, but it is nothing I can't handle. The engine and overall car performance has been rock solid. I did just replace the MAF sensor, but don't know if that is because of the Cargraphic race exhaust and 200 cell Cargraphic cats or because of the EVOMS SC, nevertheless it is a minimal issue because even when the MAF went out, the car drove fine, it was just a marginally less smooth. When I say the MAF went out, I mean the mechanic told me that the MAF was stuck at .96 volt. I don't know what this means, but I know that after replacing it, the car was more smooth.

I have NEVER seen a CEL come on since installation, and NO I did not have the bulb removed to hide the issue and YES I have had the car checked to make sure the CEL bulb is there. When properly installed, the system will not cause a CEL issue. As a side issue, going to a less than 200 cell cat system will often cause a CEL and sometimes a 200 cell cat system will cause the CEL issue.

In sum, I would recommend the EVOMS SC for a daily driver based on my daily driving of 30 miles roundtrip each day with another approximately 20 miles of downtown driving each day over a period of one (1) month.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:33 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

...Accordingly, I have been driving my SC'd 996 for over a month now on a daily basis and do believe it will be difficult to go back to my 986 as a daily driver. My SC'd 996 is just such a joy to drive. Granted, the modified suspension is a little taught for a 15 mile daily commute and putting around downtown Little Rock streets, but it is nothing I can't handle.
damn, you have REALLY been missing out man up and enjoy the soft PSS9s... they are a street performance setup not a track setup . mine is a daily driver and track abused. 500/700 lbs springs and a 30 mile commute (60 round trip) and the ride is really not bad but i would have to attribute the ride to the motons . motons are the BEST.

The engine and overall car performance has been rock solid. I did just replace the MAF sensor, but don't know if that is because of the Cargraphic race exhaust and 200 cell Cargraphic cats or because of the EVOMS SC, nevertheless it is a minimal issue because even when the MAF went out, the car drove fine, it was just a marginally less smooth. When I say the MAF went out, I mean the mechanic told me that the MAF was stuck at .96 volt. I don't know what this means, but I know that after replacing it, the car was more smooth. I have NEVER seen a CEL come on since installation, and NO I did not have the bulb removed to hide the issue and YES I have had the car checked to make sure the CEL bulb is there. When properly installed, the system will not cause a CEL issue. As a side issue, going to a less than 200 cell cat system will often cause a CEL and sometimes a 200 cell cat system will cause the CEL issue.
if you had a MAF problem it would not have anything to do with the SC, it would most likely be the over-oiled k&n air filter. the oem MAF is not the most robust piece too so one just going out is not unheard of. i haven't had and CELs with my fabspeed cats. the cats do give a meatier growl though

In sum, I would recommend the EVOMS SC for a daily driver based on my daily driving of 30 miles roundtrip each day with another approximately 20 miles of downtown driving each day over a period of one (1) month.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.
i concur. my 996 has always been a daily driver. now at 93K and 20K with the supercharger. the only thing that is detracting from drivability would be the LWF. when the car was N/A it was more drivable but now with the SC it is just a little touchy. BTW i just got a compression check done by sharkwerks and compression is normal.

Quick Reply: Evolution supercharger