Sponsored by:

CONDENSATION from A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:03 AM
RUSSCPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CONDENSATION from A/C

Driving top down with the A/C on last Sunday (About 100 DEGREES), I felt a dripping on my leg. The section running to the A/C vent was all wet. If you reach down you can feel the plastic shell and the cold air running through it.

Anyone have this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Gary
2004 C2
Basalt Black/Black
Old 07-20-2006, 01:10 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe your drain plugs are blocked?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by RUSSCPA
Driving top down with the A/C on last Sunday (About 100 DEGREES), I felt a dripping on my leg. The section running to the A/C vent was all wet. If you reach down you can feel the plastic shell and the cold air running through it.
If you are experiencing the same occasional drip-on-the-ankle that I am, it is not a problem with clogged a/c condensate drains. During a Georgia summer, the condensate drain system dumps gallons of water out the underside of the car.

Exploring my ankle wetting situation, I find it is merely the product of condensation forming on the outside of the a/c enclosure, as opposed to the inside (where it is drained out the tube). This is no different from the moisture that also accumulates on the leather around my center air vents (above the radio) when operating the air with the top down on those rare humid days down south.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:20 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You drive around with the top down and the A/C on? Model of efficiency, Kim.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by nycebo
You drive around with the top down and the A/C on? Model of efficiency, Kim.
You bet. Its the summer equivalent of the winter "top down - heated seats on" routine. Anything to extend the open air driving season. Between those two methods, a cab can be enjoyed at least 90% of the year in ATL.

I take every opportunity to ride topless ..... its why I bought the cab, and I love it.

However, as Yves reported in another thread, after 9AM in ATL these days, its top up for survival in the brutal sun.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:04 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Good point....up here in the city, I have regularly pulled the top down, heater on routine.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Good point....up here in the city, I have regularly pulled the top down, heater on routine.
Edward,
hmm, I notice that my car did not come with "heat-seat", do you know if I can retrofit this option to my car? It would be nice to have top down in the winter time also. Though I have also done the AC with top-down routine, but not yet in 100F outside temp, that's rough...
Old 07-20-2006, 02:02 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Bao,

You can definitely retrofit the heated seats, but I suspect that it may require a whole new seat cushion, the heated wires mechanism, and the center console switches. I recall reading a thread on here about doing just that so you might want to search around in the 996 forum. Also, check out RennTech as they may have some ideas over there too.

I can say this: retrofitting heated seats into the car will likely cost more than you're thinking right now.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

I have the same issue when I do the AC with top down routine. Since there are no issues when I put the top up, I assume it's just condensation. Wouldn't worry about it, as long as you only get this when it's very warm, humid, and you have the top down.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:41 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Botsy67
Edward,
hmm, I notice that my car did not come with "heat-seat", do you know if I can retrofit this option to my car? It would be nice to have top down in the winter time also. Though I have also done the AC with top-down routine, but not yet in 100F outside temp, that's rough...
Here is a link to a thread that has some info in retrofitting heated seats on a 996. Dharn55 did the DIY in the first link. Also check out posts #6 & #7 in teh second link.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=heated+seats

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=heated+seats
Old 07-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Bao,

You can definitely retrofit the heated seats, but I suspect that it may require a whole new seat cushion, the heated wires mechanism, and the center console switches. I recall reading a thread on here about doing just that so you might want to search around in the 996 forum. Also, check out RennTech as they may have some ideas over there too.

I can say this: retrofitting heated seats into the car will likely cost more than you're thinking right now.
I did a lot of reading and decided OEM retrofit was not the way to go. A very complete DIY put that cost above $500, as I recall.

I followed the lead of another forumite, and ordered the mesh heating elements that can be cut to desired fit / shape. No cushion replacement necessary. Just a handiness with hog ring pliers. Comes with 2 level heat switch, just like OEM. Main difference is that the switches are not the standard 996 oval shape. I can live with that. The round switches, lighted to indicate low or high heat, blend nicely on the bat wing.

Got kits for 2 seats on ebay for about $75 bucks per seat. Plan to complete the installation prior to winter, and will post a report.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:20 AM
RUSSCPA
Instructor

I spoke to my rep at the dealer yesterday, he (thought) it was normal. The flow of the hot air with the top down causing excess condensation.

If I stop in he will have a look.

Your info is right on, and I really appreciate your help.

Drop the tops and have a great weekend!!

Gary
04C2 Cab
Basalt Black/Black
Old 07-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Edward, Tim and Kim, greatly appreciate the tips... I did not see any DIY on Renntech.org but actually I did not check every single one listed there so I may have missed something. Though OEM is costly so maybe I can live with something more like Kim's way. Will research more... This forum is really great for Porsche enthusiasts Thanks,
Old 07-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by Botsy67
Though OEM is costly so maybe I can live with something more like Kim's way. Will research more...
This website gives details on the kits I bought.

seat heater kit

This is an ebay listing like the one I responded to - about 1/2 price:

heater kit on ebay

Good luck,

Quick Reply: CONDENSATION from A/C