996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need help with window presets...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with window presets...

My windows are starting to screw up. About half of the time they do not automatically lower slightly when I open the door and then the glass is too high to close the door without it banging into the rain channel at the top of the window. I find myself closing the door by pushing the upper rear corner of the glass so it won't hit the rain channel or if getting in, I lower the window manually before closing the door. What a pain in the rear!

Any insight into this problem? Anyone else had this happen? My wife's '03 Boxster S has started doing this on the pass. side only. Please help!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:45 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm not sure...but I think you can reset them. I believe you put them all the way down and hold the button in the down position (or it might be the up postition). Give it a shot. You could always disconnect the battery for say 15 minutes and then try again.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try re-teaching the window.
1. Press and hold button until the window is all the way up - then hold 10 seconds.
2. Do the same to bring the windows down - again hold for 10 seconds.
3. Test the the one-push open and close.

If that does not do it then it sounds like you have a bad microswitch in the door handle. When you lift the handle the window should drop about 1/2 inch.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:48 AM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Thanks! I'll give it a try with the "re-teaching". It does seem to screw up intermittenly, so I suspect it may be a bad switch. Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:38 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Perhaps you're battery is on the fritz as well? In my old Boxster when my car battery was getting a bit weak before finally dying, the window behavior was as you described.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Battery seems to be fine. I'll keep playing with the controls to see if it will correct itself.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Patric F.
Instructor

Default I had the same problem with my driver window.

If the motor makes a sound like it is trying to drop the window, but it just does not drop enough, you need a new window regulator. What happens is that the regulator cables get stretched and sloppy and when the motor tries to move the window 1/2", it just takes up the slop. The window will work fine otherwise. If the reset fails to fix the problem, I would almost bet that it is just as I described. The part is about $160.00 through one of the Rennlist sponsors. Hope the reset fixes yuour problem though. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Need help with window presets...