Sponsored by:

Woofer Box (Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:22 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Woofer Box (Lots of Pics)

Another thread wanted pics of recently installed woofer boxes, and I've been meaning to post mine, so here they are.

The woofer box is custom built by Rod Birch at CarAudioInnovations. Note the flush fit in the car, and the extra matching Porshe carpet to make to box install look seamless and SWEET! He has different options for the speakers, but I elected for the 3 JL subs run by an Audison amp. With my Focal speakers all around, this system is the best sounding car audio I've ever encountered (patting self on back, lol).

[If you look close, you can see where I need to tuck the carpet into the very rear panel so that the rear vents aren't covered.]

Outside of Car Pics

=============================================

Inside Pics

Carpet untucked

Box Turned Upside Down

Old 07-17-2006, 04:28 PM
MadMikeM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, very nice....thanks for the pix!

Yeah, I was considering going with Rod's 3 JLW6 box at first, esp after I tried to hack the blose box and pretty much failed with some 6's I had lying around.

However, when I stuck a 1-10 enclosure back there just to get me thru, I really became attached to the extension of the 10. Now being that there are 3 6's wired what I would imagine is in parallel, I have a couple of questions:

1) what is the ohm rating that the amp sees?
2) how would you compare the extension and response to that of a 1-10? And this is given that with a 3-6 setup, you're moving a tad more air..

TIA
Old 07-17-2006, 05:01 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The setup looks great!
I am curious though, seeing that the enclosure was properly made (MDF),
how much total weight did you add to your car in the back?
Is it close to 60-70 pounds or more?
Old 07-17-2006, 05:16 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
The setup looks great!
I am curious though, seeing that the enclosure was properly made (MDF),
how much total weight did you add to your car in the back?
Is it close to 60-70 pounds or more?
It's more like 40 pounds. But the sound is worth the weight. Also, it's easy to remove if you want to reduce the weight!

-td
Old 07-17-2006, 05:47 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MadMikeM
wow, very nice....thanks for the pix!

Yeah, I was considering going with Rod's 3 JLW6 box at first, esp after I tried to hack the blose box and pretty much failed with some 6's I had lying around.

However, when I stuck a 1-10 enclosure back there just to get me thru, I really became attached to the extension of the 10. Now being that there are 3 6's wired what I would imagine is in parallel, I have a couple of questions:

1) what is the ohm rating that the amp sees?
2) how would you compare the extension and response to that of a 1-10? And this is given that with a 3-6 setup, you're moving a tad more air..

TIA
EDIT: The ohm rating for each of my speakers is 12, so the parallel rating should be 4 at the amp (12/3 since they are in parallel). Note that these are dual voice coil, so I don't know how they're wired, but I assume that Rod had them wired to result in a 4 Ohm configuration.

As far as extension and response -> the response is much better than one 10, but the base isn't quite as deep, IMO. (I had one 10" in my old Camaro). But since I listen to more rock than rap, the tightness is more important to me. Rod has other setups with more/bigger speakers, but I'm really happy with this one! (These are 6.5" speakers, so having 3 running is like having a 10" and a 5" woofer, FWIW).

Last edited by himself; 07-18-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:55 PM
MadMikeM
Track Day

cool... Yeah, I'm more Rock/Jazz/Techno/Lounge myself (in that order) so the kick drum/thump is what I look for, not the richter measured boom...

This was very helpful - thanks for the info!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:28 PM
FlashingBlade
Advanced

What's holding the enclosure in place?
I did not see any hooks or bolts in the pics.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:55 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

When I read the thread title, I thought it was going to be pics of an ugly girl's private parts! Thank goodness it was just part of an audio system!

BTW, nice job.... but can you even hear the engine or exhaust notes with that in the car?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:53 AM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Great pics, td. Your install is different than others I've seen. It's nice to see another option. It has actually given me a couple of ideas to alter what I was originally planning on doing. I'll try to take some pics as it unfolds to share.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:03 PM
s14roller
Racer

How much would a custom box like this cost with installation?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:23 PM
MadMikeM
Track Day

you can actually buy this box straight from Car Audio Innovations (whom many on this board have worked with) finished with carpet and everything. They also have a few others that are a bit more $, but seem to pack a lot of punch.

Therefore, assuming you have the amp and wiring in place, it would simply be a bolt in procedure, which should just take a few minutes. Otherwise, you're looking at amp and wire install from any local car audio shop.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:52 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s14roller
How much would a custom box like this cost with installation?
To have the whole system professionally installed is pretty price, actually. The front and rear speakers have to be installed into the grills, and the door speakers have to be mounted with precision to elminate any vibration or cancellation. I sent my speakers to Rod at CarAudioInnovations and he premounted all of them.

The front speakers also need extra wiring since the stock speakers only have one pair of wires and the components need 2 sets. There are also a few odds and ends (i.e., adapters) needed for the install. I had the amp mounted in a false floor in the trunk, and mounted the cross overs where the factory amp was.

Installing just the amp is a breeze - simply plug and play (it was prewired).

To get the whole thing done at a car stereo store will take between 8-16 hours depending on what needs to get done (like building a fake floor or mounting your speakers in the grills). The whole install will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $600-800.

If you are handy, and have time, I think the self install (after getting the speakers mounted) would be a great DIY.

-td

Quick Reply: Woofer Box (Lots of Pics)