Sponsored by:

Porsche certified vs. non-certified

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 04:40 PM
vix06
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche certified vs. non-certified

I am looking for a 2000-2001 996. I have noticed a big diff in price between the certified and non-certified cars. How big a risk do I run while buying a non-certified car. I am a first time Porsche buyer.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:42 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

it should cost about $1500 to certify a car - so the difference should not be mmore than that

the risk? its all about the warranty...if you get a non cpo car then atleast have an inspection done
Old 07-14-2006, 04:46 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Certification cost only about 1,800. Alot of little stuff isn't covered by the cpo with no rhyme or reason as to why. But major components are covered engine, tranny etc.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The CPO costs the dealer roughly $1500 and anything above that is their profit. Negotiate from that. If they refuse to certify it, then either (a) it can't be certified becasue it was in an accident, or (b) they do NOT want to do the necessary "reconditioning" to the car to bring it up to CPO specs.

If a dealer can't or won't certify a car for an additional $1500 AFTER we have settled on price I would pass. Too many red flags and not worth the risk.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:53 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jb26jb
Certification cost only about 1,800. Alot of little stuff isn't covered by the cpo with no rhyme or reason as to why. But major components are covered engine, tranny etc.
I had a CPO and every repair was covered....nothing wasnt...there is a list on the Porsche site.....

The Porsche Approved Limited Warrany offers full peace of mind. Porsche Cars N.A. will repair or replace with a new part distributed by Porsche Cars N.A. any factory-installed part that is faulty in material or workmanship under normal use. Warranty coverage is Limited to the following components:

Engine (engine block and all engine internal parts but excluding exhaust system)
Cooling System
Fuel System
Electrical System
Transmission
Drive Train
Suspension and Steering
ABS Brake System
Brake System
Heater/ Air Conditioner

The warranty does not cover:

Wear and tear
Emission Control Systems and Corrosion
Abuse, accident, acts of nature, competition, racing, or track use or events beyond the manufactures control.
Vehicles that have not been serviced in line with the manufacturer’s recommendations.

So it covers basically what the original warranty covers.....If you have gotten the run around with a CPO warranty, go to a different dealer.

I say GET THE CPO car....it will only cost you a few thousand more at the most and if you are a good negotiator and find the right car (ie the one that has been on the lot 60-90 days) then you can get it at a good price...I got mine below blue book retail with a CPO warranty included....In the 2 years you own the car, I can almost guarantee you will use the warranty, at the very least you can have all minor issues checked out...I had a motor replaced as well as TONS of other things....it would have cost me about 30k in repair bills.....
Old 07-14-2006, 08:56 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
The CPO costs the dealer roughly $1500 and anything above that is their profit. Negotiate from that. If they refuse to certify it, then either (a) it can't be certified becasue it was in an accident, or (b) they do NOT want to do the necessary "reconditioning" to the car to bring it up to CPO specs.

If a dealer can't or won't certify a car for an additional $1500 AFTER we have settled on price I would pass. Too many red flags and not worth the risk.
Good advice....A CPO cars cannot have been in an accident and all the service must be done and up to date, brakes, tires, clutch all that must be over 50% so you know all those things are ok...I just replaced my pads...2 years after I bought it, same clutch....it had brand new tires on it....Those kinds of things could cost you 3-5k right off the bat....add in a service if it needs it and you could be in for 7k in bills within 3-6 months.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:07 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

How big a risk do I run while buying a non-certified car.

It's a lot like asking how big a risk do I run by not having medical insurance. IMO it's important to have some time of warranty coverage for any car that represents a significant purchase for you. I do have friends who have 993s that aren't under warranty but they are able to do almost all of the maintenace work themselves, and the 993s are their weekend cars. So if there's a major problem and it takes them a few weeks to make a repair, it's not a big deal.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:42 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

In order for the dealer to certify it, they have to do some work in replacing brake pads and tires to bring it up to the requirements for Porsche certifiation. Thus the higher cost. Some cars aren't worth it so the dealers won't attempt to get them certified as the cost won't be recouped.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:43 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newport996
So it covers basically what the original warranty covers.....If you have gotten the run around with a CPO warranty, go to a different dealer.

Just so the original poster isnt misled, this statement above is entirely untrue. The CPO warranty doesnt cover a lot of stuff. The specific parts list IS available and you will notice a lot of stuff missing. If something isnt covered, its not that the dealership is giving you the run around at all. Its the fact that Porsche will bounce back a warranty claim in a heartbeat if a dealer tries to push a part through warranty thats not covered. Its completely black and white. Its not like a goodwill warranty where if you're a good customer they'll take care of a repair for you. No matter who you are, if the part id of the part that needs to be repaired isnt on the list of covered parts, you are out of luck, period.

However, the CPO warranty does cover a lot of expensive things that would cost you an arm and a leg if you didnt have it.... such as the engine, transmission, rear main repairs etc. I do think it is worthwhile to have but don't make the mistake in assuming that its the same as the original factory warranty because you'll be rudely surprised when your window regulator (not covered by CPO) takes a dump and you get a 500 dollar estimate for the repair.

Last edited by PTEC; 07-15-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:12 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PTEC
Just so the original poster isnt misled, this statement above is entirely untrue. The CPO warranty doesnt cover a lot of stuff. The specific parts list IS available and you will notice a lot of stuff missing. If something isnt covered, its not that the dealership is giving you the run around at all. Its the fact that Porsche will bounce back a warranty claim in a heartbeat if a dealer tries to push a part through warranty thats not covered. Its completely black and white. Its not like a goodwill warranty where if you're a good customer they'll take care of a repair for you. No matter who you are, if the part id of the part that needs to be repaired isnt on the list of covered parts, you are out of luck, period.

However, the CPO warranty does cover a lot of expensive things that would cost you an arm and a leg if you didnt have it.... such as the engine, transmission, rear main repairs etc. I do think it is worthwhile to have but don't make the mistake in assuming that its the same as the original factory warranty because you'll be rudely surprised when your window regulator (not covered by CPO) takes a dump and you get a 500 dollar estimate for the repair.
Ummmm according to the Porsche website, the window regulator would be covered...how about a coolant tank? Conv. top latch? door locks? MAF and 02 sensors? exhaust gaskets? all covered under cpo for me....its not misleading according to the Porsche website the only things not covered are wear items...thats thingslike brake pads and rotors, clutch, interior wear, etc...a window regulator isnt a wear item....it says it covers the entire electrical system...Now I was told on a few occasions that it would not be covered, when I quoted the CPO packet I got in the mail from Porsche, they then said, you are right its covered....I have heard of dealers charging a $100 deductable per CPO repair, but there is no deductable...dealers do what they can get away with...not misleading the guy, just informing him....I have a pretty good knowledge of this stuff with 30k in CPO repairs in 2 years....
Old 07-15-2006, 07:48 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

...Now I was told on a few occasions that it would not be covered, when I quoted the CPO packet I got in the mail from Porsche, they then said, you are right its covered....I have heard of dealers charging a $100 deductable per CPO repair, but there is no deductable...dealers do what they can get away with.

How true. It's up to us as buyers to do our own due dilligence. I had one Porsche Dealer who wanted to charge me $3000 for a CPO, but he was willing to reduce it to $2500 if I bought today. When I asked another Dealer, the salesman told me that they charged $2K but admitted that there was some profit in that price, and he gave me some CPO warranty literature that specified the coverage was the same as the original Porsche warranty for an extended two years, up to a max of 100K miles. There was no mention of any deductables. Even at $2K, CPO is a great deal IMO.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:02 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

First there is a misnoner here, It does not necessarily cost $1500 or $2000 to CPO. CPO starts with an inspection that costs around $200. From here the car has to be brought up to the proper standard before it is certified. I made the deal to have my car CPO for $2K before they did the inspection. I signed the deal and put a deposit down before the CPO. After the inspection, they had to replace one of the front radiator scoops, the tires, the front brakes, the clutch and so a full 30K service because they could not find the service record for it. It cost them $3800 (I have all the service paperwork) to CPO a car they charged $2K to do it for. At $2K they are doing all right as long as they don't have to put any money in it. Pretty much anyone with over 25K miles is going to need something to go through CPO. Tires, brakes and clutches are most common.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Actually, there IS a cost to the dealer to CPO the car and that fee is charged by PCNA. It is roughly $1500 dealer cost. There is NO $200 inspection. they inspect at their OWN dealer with their own labor. The cost to bring a car up to CPO standard is where the higher costs come into play. Which is why I say if a dealer is NOT willing to CPO the car then I wouldn't buy it since they show NO care whatsoever in bringing the car to tip shop shape for you and rather just pass it along in the "unknown" condition it was before.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:08 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

Tomorrow (Sunday, July 16) will be my "two-week anniversary of owning my '03 996. It is a CPO car, and so far, the dealer (Champion) has been great about fixing the little stuff like a broken visor, mysterious screens on the AC and replacing the stereo amp. Granted, they SHOULD have had all that fixed before I rolled off the lot, but the point is tthey have an attitude of "don't sweat it, you're covered, and we'll fix it as long as you don't try a U-Boat Commander stunt ala Risky Business."
yes, CPO cost a bit more, but I know the car is covered for the next 3 years, which is a huge amount of peace of mind.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:13 PM
vegascomedy
Instructor

CPO really helped me,after a month of ownership, they replaced the engine because of a defect. Was worth the extra I paid for the car.

Quick Reply: Porsche certified vs. non-certified