Sponsored by:

Porsche certified vs. non-certified

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:21 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my $0.02:

I wouldn't get all hung about about CPO vs. non-CPO. You can get a good car through both channels.

CPO

You pay a little more because it's only available through a Porsche dealer and it only covers major components (ask for the list). What you get is less hassle because it's 1 stop shopping and it's backed up by PCNA.

non-CPO

The option to buy the car from anybody=better price. More work/risk to you to get a PPI and 3rd party warranty, but you have the option to buy bumper to bumper warranty.

Neither covers wear and tear, crash damage or quality issues. Although in theory PCNA won't CPO a car with repaired major crash damage or existing mechanical issues. As others have pointed out, a Porsche dealer who refuses to CPO a car they are selling is a big red flag.

Which 3rd party warranty company is another topic, but ask your local Porsche dealer or whomever you plan to service your car for a recommendation. FWIW I chose Warranty Direct on the recommendation of a Porsche service writer (they don't sell it) and I just had my RMS done and paid for without issue.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:57 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newport996
Ummmm according to the Porsche website, the window regulator would be covered...how about a coolant tank? Conv. top latch? door locks? MAF and 02 sensors? exhaust gaskets? all covered under cpo for me....its not misleading according to the Porsche website the only things not covered are wear items...thats thingslike brake pads and rotors, clutch, interior wear, etc...a window regulator isnt a wear item....it says it covers the entire electrical system...Now I was told on a few occasions that it would not be covered, when I quoted the CPO packet I got in the mail from Porsche, they then said, you are right its covered....I have heard of dealers charging a $100 deductable per CPO repair, but there is no deductable...dealers do what they can get away with...not misleading the guy, just informing him....I have a pretty good knowledge of this stuff with 30k in CPO repairs in 2 years....
If you're talking about the brochure for CPO Porsche has on its website, I've read it and its very generic. CPO warranty will cover the power window motor but not the window regulator. They are seperate part ids and the window regulator is not covered. Look, I never said it didnt cover a lot of stuff.... because it does. What I am saying is its not the same as the orignal factory warranty. Ill try and get a hold of the part id list and post it here so you can see exactly what is covered and what isnt.

Last edited by PTEC; 07-16-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My favorite is they cover the cooling "system" but NOT the damn plastic coolant reservoir tank! Last time I checked wasn't that "part" of the cooling "system"?????

When mine was replaced I under CPO I had to get the tank CPO's and I paid the labor. Came about to the same price as if I bought the damn tank and did it myself.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:25 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really Dell...mine was replaced under CPO....maybe my dealer just did alot of extra work....
Old 07-16-2006, 07:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Seriously, then tank is NOT covered. I was able to get the tank but not the labor goodwill'd. I was shocked. You dealer must have goodwill'd the whole shabang!
Old 07-16-2006, 07:33 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Yeah....and funny my tank is leaking and I gave them HELL about it just getting out warranty and it happening again...and by their response to my rants, it lookes like they will cave in and replace it for free if I yell a little more...they said its a new design that is reinforced and they checked my part number and it is indeed the old part....maybe they felt bad that it should have been the new part....
Old 07-16-2006, 09:15 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they installed the replacement tank it is warrantied for two years from installation regardless of the cpo. Cpo does not cover coolant tank, and window regulators and probably a whole bunch more. It seems its there for the truly big ticket items, i.e. trany, engine, but its hit or miss with no rhyme or reason for anything else.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Yes, the tank would be covered for 2 years ONLY if it was replaced OUTSIDE of the warranty period. If ANYTHING is repaired during the warranty period it EXPIRES at the conclusion of the warranty period every if the warranty period expires the following day. Sad, but true.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:29 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

no thats not the way the warranty works with Porsche....If you have a warraty item replaced, no matter when under the warranty, the day the warranty ends, is the day the warranty ends on all parts replaced. So is you have a repair the day before the warranty replaced, and the day after the warranty expires it fails, you are responsible...there is no gray area, and its cut and dry, black and white. There is a 2 year warranty on parts replaced OUT of warranty, but the warranty on all parts replaced under warranty ends when the warranty on the car ends.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:00 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

and the day after the warranty expires it fails, you are responsible...there is no gray area, and its cut and dry, black and white

Although your statement is generally true, Porsche will sometimes replace defective parts for free after the warranty expiration.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by newport996
no thats not the way the warranty works with Porsche....If you have a warraty item replaced, no matter when under the warranty, the day the warranty ends, is the day the warranty ends on all parts replaced. So is you have a repair the day before the warranty replaced, and the day after the warranty expires it fails, you are responsible...there is no gray area, and its cut and dry, black and white. There is a 2 year warranty on parts replaced OUT of warranty, but the warranty on all parts replaced under warranty ends when the warranty on the car ends.
Looks like we both were typing up the rebuttal to jb26jb's post at the same time
Old 07-17-2006, 08:47 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fast1
and the day after the warranty expires it fails, you are responsible...there is no gray area, and its cut and dry, black and white

Although your statement is generally true, Porsche will sometimes replace defective parts for free after the warranty expiration.
in otherwords......GOODWILL.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer also refused to replace my coolant tank under CPO.
So, I DIY'd it.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:34 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
in otherwords......GOODWILL.
Yep.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:52 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vix06
I am looking for a 2000-2001 996. I have noticed a big diff in price between the certified and non-certified cars. How big a risk do I run while buying a non-certified car. I am a first time Porsche buyer.

Yes, I agree. I just became a Porsche owner a few days ago. If seemed to me CPO cars where priced 5k to 10k more than what you could get w/o CPO.

A month ago I looked at a 2000 Cab and the Porsche dealer wanted $40k for it as is, or $46k for CPO which would include the 60k service. I passed.

Quick Reply: Porsche certified vs. non-certified