996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

After 4 weeks of porsche ownership.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 07:57 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 4 weeks of porsche ownership.

I love it. No doubt about it. My 7er now feels like an SUV. Wow. I do miss some of the luxuries of bmw: keyless access (997s should have it, can't be that much more weight), ventilated seats (drove 7er during the day when it was really hot just for the seats), ability to play MP3s on a CD (CDR23 can't get new firmware to understand MP3? lame) and biggest of them all: bluetooth with a phone cradle (but i am cooking up some DIY nokia cradle for the rear storage area)

speaking of MP3... when i first got the car, i spent first few days checking out various audio upgrades, talking to reus audio, etc. but as i drove it more and more, i noticed that i tend to listen to exhaust and not the audio. i turn the volume down as i drive and turn the volume up either on the highway (cruising) or when stopped in traffic. because of that i decided against an audio upgrade. i really want iPod, but if porsche comes out with one soon, i'll be all set.

picked up my ROW M30 today. also ordered aspheric passenger mirror today. Picking up garage door opener and spoiler switch on friday for weekend wiring projects. The car is slowly coming together. I am reserving a lot of upgrade for the winter though when it will just chill in the garage mostly.

and lastly i want to thank each and everyone of you for advice and support that a newbie like me gets on this forum!!! the maturity level is way different from most BMW forums.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:39 PM
screameleons
Instructor

I just realized I did not give feedback about how I enjoy this car. I have no complaints. I also noticed that I tend to listen to the sound of the car instead of music. I'm usually listening for a good time to shift. If I do have the radio on, its usually Howard Stern, CNBC or Bloomburg.

The first mod I will do is the PSS9 kit. Right after thats corner balanced and aligned, I will put on some 19" 3 piece wheels.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:52 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

jkb,
You live in the SF Bay Area and you plan on having the car mostly sit in the garage during the winter? Get ready for some grief from folks in less temperate climes. We're not LA, but you can definitely drive a cab year-round in the Bay Area. Crank the heat and the heated seats and you can go top-down just about any time its not raining. The soft-top does great in the rain, too.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:50 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want Audio upgradeswith ipod integration there are LOTS of options....I alos spote to reus and decided to do my own upgrade and its ALMOST complete...just waiting for the subwoofer to come in and then the I'll add the 2nd amp for it. but this is what I did...Focal 165 V3E 2 way seperate system, the mids and tweets in the dash, woofer in the door, all fit in the stock locataions. So it looks stock. Audison LRX 300.4 amp to drive the new fornts and the rears....Head unit is the Kenwood DDX7015(now the 7017) which I have Sirius (XM is also available), Navigation, iPod control, Touchscreen, plays MP3 cd;'s AND MP3 DVD's thats cool 5gb of MP3's on one disc! And it plays DVD movies as well as has connections for game systems and rear view cameras...a bit much for a Porsche...but it there... very intuitive and very capable. Now I REALLY enjoy driving my car and listening to music in GREAT quality...

Old 07-13-2006, 11:23 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by screameleons
The first mod I will do is the PSS9 kit. Right after thats corner balanced and aligned, I will put on some 19" 3 piece wheels.
i hear 19" wheels will cause major badness on a 996 - offset car geometry, etc.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:25 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by C4 Pazzo
jkb,
You live in the SF Bay Area and you plan on having the car mostly sit in the garage during the winter? Get ready for some grief from folks in less temperate climes. We're not LA, but you can definitely drive a cab year-round in the Bay Area. Crank the heat and the heated seats and you can go top-down just about any time its not raining. The soft-top does great in the rain, too.
dude, i need an excuse to keep my 7er around. so as i said - it gets really freaking cold here during the winter
Old 07-13-2006, 11:26 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by newport996
If you want Audio upgradeswith ipod integration there are LOTS of options....I alos spote to reus and decided to do my own upgrade and its ALMOST complete...just waiting for the subwoofer to come in and then the I'll add the 2nd amp for it. but this is what I did...Focal 165 V3E 2 way seperate system, the mids and tweets in the dash, woofer in the door, all fit in the stock locataions. So it looks stock. Audison LRX 300.4 amp to drive the new fornts and the rears....Head unit is the Kenwood DDX7015(now the 7017) which I have Sirius (XM is also available), Navigation, iPod control, Touchscreen, plays MP3 cd;'s AND MP3 DVD's thats cool 5gb of MP3's on one disc! And it plays DVD movies as well as has connections for game systems and rear view cameras...a bit much for a Porsche...but it there... very intuitive and very capable. Now I REALLY enjoy driving my car and listening to music in GREAT quality...
very nice. but my car has MOST. so i think this upgrade is out of the question - no? i hear you need some major skills if you replace the stock head unit since it will trigger MOST bus errors.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb
dude, i need an excuse to keep my 7er around. so as i said - it gets really freaking cold here during the winter
you don't know cold
Old 07-14-2006, 01:25 AM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
you don't know cold
i was born in ukraine. believe me, i do
i used to ski to school what i was little
Old 07-14-2006, 02:07 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb
i hear 19" wheels will cause major badness on a 996 - offset car geometry, etc.
What badness exactly? - I'm running 19" 997 Carrera S rims and have yet to experience the badness....

Please give details of what you've heard

Chris.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:16 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Jan..

You have the mod decease..hahaha
Congrats!! My X74 is being installed at Sharkwerks.. i will get it tomorrow

Newport...Is that the techart steering wheel I want it..
Old 07-14-2006, 05:49 AM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by cdodkin
What badness exactly? - I'm running 19" 997 Carrera S rims and have yet to experience the badness....

Please give details of what you've heard

Chris.
19" is fine with 997. but they are not fine with 996. i was told "it offsets car geometry" by alex @ sharkwerks and i was told similar things by others.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb
i was born in ukraine. believe me, i do
i used to ski to school what i was little
... up hill, both ways, right?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:01 AM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by gota911
... up hill, both ways, right?
no hills. pretty flat where i grew up:

http://lerdorf.com/ymap?q=Fastiv
Old 07-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb
no hills. pretty flat where i grew up:

http://lerdorf.com/ymap?q=Fastiv
Looks like a place where there could have been some gulags!

Quick Reply: After 4 weeks of porsche ownership.