Sponsored by:

Dog in the backseat of a Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:54 AM
TomP
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog in the backseat of a Cab?

Silly question time: Does anyone take their dog in the backseat of their Cab?

One of the stipulations that my wife has placed on getting "a fun car" is that the dog will fit in the backseat. I'm pretty sure a 70 lb dog will fit okay, but am I going to have to get a pair of those stupid looking dog goggles to protect her (the dog, not my wife!) from the wind blast?

thanks

(slightly embarassed) Tom
Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I have two Border Collies that I love to death, great dogs, however I wouldn't take them to the vet for emergency surgery in my 911. And you wont be able to put the windscreen up if the dog is in the back, dog nails scratching the **** out of the leather, dog hair everwhere.

I guess I'm not helping, sorry.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 AM
riozilla
Instructor

My last porsche was a 1999 996 Cab (lease) and I put my dog in the back with the top down almost every weekend. I laid her big dog blanket across the backseats and over the center console armrest cubby and she was fine. She liked to position herself straddling the center in between the two rear seats. I would keep her leash on and keep the end of her leash in the front seat on my lap since I was always scared she might try and jump out (never happened). I know it probably wasn't safe to have her there but she loved it and I took the risk. No damage was caused to the car but I was always very careful and never left her unattended in the car. It was also a lease, so I was probably not as careful as I am now with my coupe 996 that I own outright.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have a cab, but one of the requirements I had for puchasing the car was that my dog had to fit in the back..........and he does.

I've got an 80 lb Doberman and he fits back there nicely. To protect the back seat from dog hair and scratches I fit a King size bed sheet over the entire back seat and floor. So far so good.....no scratches and a happy dobbie!!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

We take our dogs on many of our trips in the Porsche. I made a cover for the rear seats, to keep the dog hair under control and keep the seats in the down position. Keep in mind that our dogs are Jack Russell Terriers and only weigh 20 lbs. A bigger dog might be a challenge to carry comfortably.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:02 PM
TomP
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I assumed I'll need a cover back there to prevent scratches. But I don't need to worry about dog fur because she's part poodle and doesn't shed (hair, not fur).

riad: You bring up something I've been curious about for a while: is the purpose of the windscreen to clean up the aerodynamics with the top down, so it's not so windy in the front two seats? Where does it store when not in use? Is it still windy in the back?

Thanks.

tom
Old 07-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The windstop significantly reduces air turbulence in the cabin with the top down
Old 07-12-2006, 03:30 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

windstop is folded and stored in the front trunk.

dont you have a grocery getter? i'd never take a big dog in a nice car. maybe a 15-20 lb dog or cat for a short trip.

marriage is a strange thing. you can't spend your own money. wife makes up stupid rules like this... I can understand if you got kids and need some kid seats. But buying car based on a dog? c'mon!!
Old 07-12-2006, 03:43 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just tell her the dog will fit, buy the car and deal with it later if the dog doesn't fit. No need to deprive yourself of the most fun dirving machine out there because a dog may or may not fit. Operate under the principle it is always easier to ask for forgivness than permission.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TomP
Yeah, I assumed I'll need a cover back there to prevent scratches. But I don't need to worry about dog fur because she's part poodle and doesn't shed (hair, not fur).

riad: You bring up something I've been curious about for a while: is the purpose of the windscreen to clean up the aerodynamics with the top down, so it's not so windy in the front two seats? Where does it store when not in use? Is it still windy in the back?

Thanks.

tom
Yes the windscreen is a must for top down highway driving, if you're tooling around town at 30mph it's not as significant.

The bottom of the windscreen sits over the entire back of the cab, and the rear seats need to be down.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

We have a small 12lbs ****zu that fit nicely on the back seat on top of a small blanket so that his small size nails do not scratch the leather seat. Luckily he does not shed hairs much just a few hairs here and there that I can vacuum out easily. Though with top down, I would use a leash to make sure he does not jump out of the car if he sees another dog (he gets super excited when he sees a friend :-) Overall he is well behaved and always want to go out w/ us for a ride.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a four pound miniature pinscher that has taken a ride in the lap of my significant other... But if Susan wouldn't hold the dog it would be a no go. hair and scratches a no no....

Quick Reply: Dog in the backseat of a Cab?