996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Litronic vs Bi-Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:38 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Litronics don't have shutters, only Bi-Xenons do. Litronics only rotate the bulbs up in high beams. Light output is actually the same from the Xenons in Litronics in both cases. With Bi-Xenons, the output form the bulb is higher than Litronics. It is partially blocked off and redirected with the low beams on by the shutters to restrict it's output.

Although it was mentioned about the lighting position being low, it is actually the opposite in reality. The HID is placed high in the assembly with the filling Halogen in a reflector below the HID.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

i don't place great value on self-leveling or bi-xenon or whatever. so long as it's projector HID system, i'm fine. i rarely use the bi-xenon feature. i guess it's a cool thing tos ay you have. a novelty... that's about it.

what i am excited about is the next step. LED headlights.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:09 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Self-leveling is different from the high-beam movement and shutters with both assemblies. The assemblies are allowed to float so they are directional with the tilt axis of the vehicle. I don't know about Litronics, but when you first turn on Bi-Xenons the HIDs turn up and down to reset. I don't know about novelty factor, but the low beams in my 996 have a wider beam pattern than my G35 and are far brighter in high beams. More light = better.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:48 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the factory litronics on my '01 996 and I am very pleased with its output and coverage. The post by 02 carrera where he quotes bosch I think explains well how the '02 bi-xenons work. The delay in start-up is not there when doing flash-to-pass because the bulbs are already on. The shutter uncovers more of the light bulb for high-beam since its the same bulb as opposed to the litronics which uses a separate halogen for the high-beams. Since I have an '01 model, I don't know if the '02 and up bixenons have a separate halogen for when all the lights are off and you want to do a flash-to-pass illumination? Just curious.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
I don't know about novelty factor, but the low beams in my 996 have a wider beam pattern than my G35 and are far brighter in high beams. More light = better.
I agree on your equation. Let it be known that no reflector based HID setup (G35) is going to throw out as much light as a projector lens based setup.

The S2000, for example, throws out an insane amount of light. The lens on those things is crystal clear (i.e. not diffused).

Quick Reply: Litronic vs Bi-Xenon