996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Differentials

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 04:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Las Vegas Motor Speedway Outside Course. Fun, but no elevation change but LOTS of dirt runoffs in the desert
Old 07-08-2006, 05:49 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepRM3
Electronic aids help inexperienced drivers, but hinder experienced drivers. With my student's '99 996, PSM would have kept him out of the weeds, but I would not have had as much fun rotating the back end of his car at full speed LOL I noticed the 2000 996es had LSD as optional but also have traction control as standard? The 2000 sounds like a winner?!

To my knowledge, the 2000's did not have the LSD option. The 1999 had it with TC which could and should be turned off perminently. Secondly, teaching people to drive with all the "sissy" controls (IMO and experience) is not the best approach. So much of succesfull driving involves the FEAR factor and giving a student a crutch while learning quite often instills too much confindance and allows them to achive maximum handling out of the car with a parachute. However, this has done little to teach them how to control a car properly. The "sissy" controls also kick in too soon compared to the actual ability of the car to safely navgate certain corners.

We use to teach people to drive in a car with no camber and artificially light in one end. This allowed the student to actually learn how to control a car that experiences unpredictable things. After experience in driving a car like that, they could get into a properly setup car and have a little more respect for what it could and couldn't do and how to safely adjust when the car hit it's limit.

However, for those that simply want to get around the track quickly without even knowing how to drive, then the "sissy" controls come in handy.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:21 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
To my knowledge, the 2000's did not have the LSD option. The 1999 had it with TC which could and should be turned off perminently. Secondly, teaching people to drive with all the "sissy" controls (IMO and experience) is not the best approach. So much of succesfull driving involves the FEAR factor and giving a student a crutch while learning quite often instills too much confindance and allows them to achive maximum handling out of the car with a parachute. However, this has done little to teach them how to control a car properly. The "sissy" controls also kick in too soon compared to the actual ability of the car to safely navgate certain corners.

We use to teach people to drive in a car with no camber and artificially light in one end. This allowed the student to actually learn how to control a car that experiences unpredictable things. After experience in driving a car like that, they could get into a properly setup car and have a little more respect for what it could and couldn't do and how to safely adjust when the car hit it's limit.

However, for those that simply want to get around the track quickly without even knowing how to drive, then the "sissy" controls come in handy.
I completely agree with your assessment on electronic driver aids. Same goes for sticky R-compound tires and inexperienced sports drivers--Hoosiers cover up bad technique.

In looking through Edmunds.com, they list LSD as an available option for the 1999 and 2000 911s--but the LSD option disappears from the options list from 2001 to 2005. The list of options are shown when you go through the "customized appraisal" worksheet.

If what you say is correct about model year 2000 996es not having LSD as an option, then I'm limited to the 1999 996. While the market asking prices for the '99 911s are within financial reach of most enthusiasts, I'd say we're a bit intimidated by first-year production run glitches as is the case with most car models--even Porsche 911s--I suppose?!

I've read in Excellence magazine that early 996es (and 986es) were plagued by oil leaks--most were caused by a faulty main seal--while others were caused by porous crank cases (the oil actually leaches out through the metal). Most should have been replaced under warranty by now??
Old 07-09-2006, 02:39 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

The 40th Anniversary cars made in '04 have limited slip.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:06 AM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by triode
The 40th Anniversary cars made in '04 have limited slip.
The 40th annie cars are WAY OUT OF MY REACH. Thanks though!

Now this 1999 996 is more of what I'm looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...QQcmdZViewItem

St Louis MO isn't too far to drive to check this car out. They posted an options sticker showing number 220--isn't that the option code for limited slip differential? Also how do I know if this car has a bonafide throttle cable, or electronic throttle?

Last edited by SleepRM3; 07-09-2006 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:25 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All the 1999 C2's had the cable. The 1999 C4 was egas.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sleep,

that looks like a very fair price for a low mileage 99 with good options. Provided it checks out. Just bought one too so I have bunch of the codes handy. This car has 3 spoke steering wheel, LSD, TC and ABD, Xenons, Hi Fi sound, Painted crests, Oval Chrome exhaust tips, Heated seats, etc.

Similarly, I just sold my Black/Black 1997 M3/4dr. Will miss that car all around.

Best of luck!

-paul
Old 07-09-2006, 12:10 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
All the 1999 C2's had the cable. The 1999 C4 was egas.
Thanks for the clarification!
Originally Posted by pjalexandre
Sleep,

that looks like a very fair price for a low mileage 99 with good options. Provided it checks out. Just bought one too so I have bunch of the codes handy. This car has 3 spoke steering wheel, LSD, TC and ABD, Xenons, Hi Fi sound, Painted crests, Oval Chrome exhaust tips, Heated seats, etc.

Similarly, I just sold my Black/Black 1997 M3/4dr. Will miss that car all around.

Best of luck!

-paul
Paul, thanks for the option code definitions. I was hoping to keep the M3/4-door--I love that car--it's great for instructor DE'ing--lots of stowage capacity--and I can take 3 students for demo laps LOL.

I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger this soon--frankly I thought it would take longer than a night to find the right car--but you're right this car looks cherry--I especially like the LSD/TC/ABD, Arctic Silver paint, clear turn signals, and 18-inch wheels.

I'm afraid of oil leaks with a Porsche--my bimmer's tight--it holds all its fluids .
Old 07-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

I hear ya, but all high-end cars need TLC. The M3 was mostly bulletproof but there were little gremlins like the plastic water pump impellers, plastic radiator, rear shock mounts. etc. 996's have RMS and if it happens is $800K. Get a warranty for around $2k or just be prepared to shell out some cash if something substantial goes. My M3 surprised me one day with a blown AC that cost just over $2K to fix, not under warranty anymore.

There are some guys on here with cars over 100K and counting. Cars that surely at driven hard and often. If you snoop around here will find the guy(s) with blown motors, bad trannies, etc. But there was the same type of stuff on the e36 and e46 boards. I am happy with the move to the 996. Much more of a pure Sports car over the very practical and very good M3.

A little more than 2cents that time
Old 07-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya, but all high-end cars need TLC. The M3 was mostly bulletproof but there were little gremlins like the plastic water pump impellers, plastic radiator, rear shock mounts. etc. 996's have RMS and if it happens is $800K. Get a warranty for around $2k or just be prepared to shell out some cash if something substantial goes. My M3 surprised me one day with a blown AC that cost just over $2K to fix, not under warranty anymore.

There are some guys on here with cars over 100K and counting. Cars that surely at driven hard and often. If you snoop around here will find the guy(s) with blown motors, bad trannies, etc. But there was the same type of stuff on the e36 and e46 boards. I am happy with the move to the 996. Much more of a pure Sports car over the very practical and very good M3.

Dont let the RMS scare or deter you into a warranty. I just did my RMS for around $300...

$230 of that was the special tool...It just takes a little bit of time and patience. Look at it as paying yourself $120/hr to do the work!

-Keith
Old 07-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a '99 with the LSD/TC (they dropped that option in 2000 when they brought out PSM) that I bought new in April '98 (sold it 2 years ago to get the GT3). Don't believe everything you read, it was a great car. I did lots of problem free DE's and the RMS was replaced under warranty and never leaked a drop again.

With this many years on them now, it should be easy to sort out the good from the not-so-good. If one was going to have an issue with the dreaded RMS, coolant expansion tank, tranny, etc., it would have done so by now. Don't pass up one that checks out mechanically, meets your needs and is reasonably priced.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepRM3
If what you say is correct about model year 2000 996es not having LSD as an option, then I'm limited to the 1999 996. While the market asking prices for the '99 911s are within financial reach of most enthusiasts, I'd say we're a bit intimidated by first-year production run glitches as is the case with most car models--even Porsche 911s--I suppose?!
IMO, this should not deter you at all, the current market price for the 99 996's make them a steal,..a lot of car for that money. It is a bummer that you have to look for the earlier models for the LSD,..but at the end I'm sure you'll love the car on the track. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sleeper,
Those guys (Schmitt) are about 10 miles from me. If it comes down to it, I could cruise by and check the car out a bit. I might be able to find the PO as well.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:28 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Holger B
I had a '99 with the LSD/TC (they dropped that option in 2000 when they brought out PSM) that I bought new in April '98 (sold it 2 years ago to get the GT3). Don't believe everything you read, it was a great car. I did lots of problem free DE's and the RMS was replaced under warranty and never leaked a drop again.

With this many years on them now, it should be easy to sort out the good from the not-so-good. If one was going to have an issue with the dreaded RMS, coolant expansion tank, tranny, etc., it would have done so by now. Don't pass up one that checks out mechanically, meets your needs and is reasonably priced.
Ahh, so it's true the 1999 996 is the year with optional LSD until the 2004's 40th annie car. Can't trust Edmund's data then. They misled me to think 2000 was the last year for LSD option (eventhough they list PSM as optional that year for the 996 911).

Yes, with the E36 M3 I did the rear shock mounts (they were bad at 65K miles). I had a thermostat go out and replaced the t-stat housing from the plastic to the metal housing (68K miles) . Surprisingly my water pump had the metal impellers--and it was fine (mine is an April 1997 build). Other than brakes, new RE050As and a slightly leaking PS hose (replaced), the bimmer's been a bulletproof weekend road warrior and PCA DE instructor car. What's great about the bimmer is that I can do a lot myself (except for messy or big jobs like gearbox/diff fluid changess, clutch jobs etc.). I'm hesitant about how much I can do myself with a 996.
Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
Sleeper,
Those guys (Schmitt) are about 10 miles from me. If it comes down to it, I could cruise by and check the car out a bit. I might be able to find the PO as well.
That would be great. Indy's about 6 hours away, but if you don't mind doing a little "recon", I'd appreciate it much, sir. I'm especially concerned about oil leaks. The Ebay rap sheet on this 996 says the PO was meticulous--and that's good news. This 996 is the best one I've found on the net.

My wife's been nonchalant about this hunt--she's seen me go through my PorscheQuest before (the last PorscheQuest was for the right 3.2-L Carrera, but I got a BMW 97 M3/4 instead LOL).

BTW, I have to compliment you all. This has been a great board. I've been a registered user for 24 hours, and not once have I seen a negative post.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement in researching these stunning cars.

Last edited by SleepRM3; 07-09-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Sleeper,

Just curious did you carfax it yet? It is not the definitive source of info but steered me away from a few.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differentials