Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you have (standard) partial leather or full leather?
Partial leather
42.03%
Full leather
57.97%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Partial or Full Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:33 PM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Partial or Full Leather?

To help me in my purchase decision as to the general availabiliy of full leather, I'm trying to get a sense of how many people have the (standard) partial leather vs. the full leather option in the '02 - '04 996s (please limit responses to C2s only). Thanks in advance!

Last edited by porsche_guy; 07-05-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that full leather was standard on the C4S. That will throw off your results.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Good point, DCP. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
krisd
Instructor

Mine is a 99, but should still be relevant to your question. After seeing both the partial and full leather, I was not willing to pull the trigger on the partial. It is a personal preference so I would look at both before you buy and get what you like. I almost went with a car with the partial leather and ended up waiting a couple extra months to find one with full leather and all the other options I wanted. I knew that after a few months I would regret not getting the full leather, it is so much nicer.

This was my first Porsche, so I can't even start to explain how hard it was to pass on a couple of cars that didn't have the full leather while I was searching, but it is worth it in the end. I can assure you that you will enjoy any Porsche you buy for the first 6 months or so even if it doesn't have all the options you want, but after the honeymoon is over you don't want to have any regrets. Make a list of all the options you want and be patient, that car is out there!

Kris
Old 07-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, the C4S came standard with full leather.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:35 PM
auriga
Advanced

Default No sure...

Purchased a 2001 C4 a few days ago...i believe it's full leather - Can anyone confirm?
Attached Images   
Old 07-05-2006, 03:50 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

To auriga: I don't think so. Not quite sure from the photo angle. Full leather cars have a seam of leather stitching over the speedometer console and near the door handles.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:48 PM
ojpimpson
Banned

Not full leather.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:42 PM
auriga
Advanced

What additional items are leather with the " full leather " option? Any idea what the upgrade was worth??
Old 07-05-2006, 06:56 PM
krisd
Instructor

Originally Posted by auriga
What additional items are leather with the " full leather " option? Any idea what the upgrade was worth??
Door panels, rear seat side panels, entire dash, instrument pod, mine also has the air vents, horseshoe deal around the radio, area around the climate control. Basically every surface you see is leather, with alot of it being stitched, which really adds to the appeal of the interior.

Is is a great car without it, definitely! But they have done a stellar job with the full leather interior, definitely worth the extra $'s for new or waiting a bit to find one used.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:00 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Look at the Order Guide

Originally Posted by auriga
Renntech.org has the Porsche dealer's order guide for several model years. It goes into considerable detail as to just what is covered in leather with the full leather option. It is quite a bit, but then it was about a $3,300 option, so it ought to be.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
jbdmd
Pro

my current cab has it..it smells nice
i have been pricing up a 997 w/o...just b/c i am not convinved it is worth the extra $$
Old 07-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

it doesn't make it go faster or turn sharper, but it is real. the smell and texture and feel can never be beat; every time you get in the car it reminds you of what it is. it also needs you more than plastic!

i say buy full leather and add more - leather console; vent surrounds and defroster, steering wheel and airbag; i am told by farmer clients that the cows are proud to be part of a Porsche!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:44 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the full leather makes the inside look a more exotic (expensive)....
Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Originally Posted by krisd
Door panels, rear seat side panels, entire dash, instrument pod, mine also has the air vents, horseshoe deal around the radio, area around the climate control. Basically every surface you see is leather, with alot of it being stitched, which really adds to the appeal of the interior.

Is is a great car without it, definitely! But they have done a stellar job with the full leather interior, definitely worth the extra $'s for new or waiting a bit to find one used.
not totaolly right.
the horseshoe around the radio, air vent slots are exta.
full leather = 3500 or so. that's entire dash, a, b, c pillers. all seat surfaces. door panels.
once you ordred full leather, then you can ADD leather to ac surround and more. but if you dont order full leather, you can't just have leahter on ac or other switech areas. you dont see this much leather often, but the "full leather" you will see lots of. does this make sense?

since you are buying used , i recommend full leather. you will not see any price differnece b/n a car with or without full leather.

Quick Reply: Partial or Full Leather?