996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help... Narrowed it down to three cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 11:42 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have found i tend not to regret spending 'too much' on something but i do tend to regret getting 'too little'

pick the one you most one and make the finances happen(ie overtime, etc)!

jbd
Old 07-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

It's a lot cheaper to change options than to change color....
Old 07-03-2006, 06:24 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
After 6 months of searching, I've narrowed it down to three cars. Of course I will do ppi when I decide on one. they are all coupes.

they are in no particular order:

1. 2002 911 - CPO car, 23k miles, $50k. very few options, no leather, no bose, but my favorite color.

2. 2002 911 - No warranty, 35k miles, fully loaded with all the options I want (full leather, bose, cd changer) but my second favorite color (a distant second to my favorite color above). Price $46k, I think I could nego down to $45k, and buy a aftermarket warranty for about 3k for a total of $48k.

3. 2002 911 C4S - No warranty, 48k miles, $52k, my favorite color. Would have to buy an afermarket warranty for about $4-5k making total cost $56-57k.

Which would you choose and why?

All seem like great cars, of course I want the best car for the least $$$

thanks

Glenn

choice one is out. Looked at it today and can't get past the tan interior. Choice two is down to $45k without warranty, so it is between choice 2 & 3. I think it I can negotiate choice 3 down a few thousand I would buy it.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:52 AM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

As a recent '03 C4S Coupe buyer (10 days ago) I have a question and a comment for you.

Question - Have you driven these cars? I ask because I drove a few Carreras and they were not all alike. One 996 Targa I drove last year was terrible. Bad shifter action, strange brake feel and the steering didn't feel right either. I was left wondering if it had been wrecked and badly repaired. Then I drove a 996 C2 Coupe that afternoon that felt perfect, just couldn't get to the right price. The difference was like day and night.

Comment - After I drove the C4S, the decision was easy. Yes it does feel different from a C2, but I like the feel of the C4S. And of course the wide-body look is special, too.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:19 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPO, lower miles, upgrade stereo and throw in a set of GT3 seats...make sure you have a PPI performed...
Old 07-04-2006, 07:25 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkinMD
As a recent '03 C4S Coupe buyer (10 days ago) I have a question and a comment for you.

Question - Have you driven these cars? I ask because I drove a few Carreras and they were not all alike. One 996 Targa I drove last year was terrible. Bad shifter action, strange brake feel and the steering didn't feel right either. I was left wondering if it had been wrecked and badly repaired. Then I drove a 996 C2 Coupe that afternoon that felt perfect, just couldn't get to the right price. The difference was like day and night.
I drove about a dozen cars before I bought one and I noticed things between cars too. A couple had really stiff clutches, the pressure plates were going out. If the clutch is real stiff or slipping, tell them immediately and don't buy it until after it has been replaced. 3 of the cars I test drive I commented about the clutch and it was replaced by the dealer before I went back to test drive again. Some had tigher brakes than others. None had sport shifters, so they all had that somewhat vague/rubbery feeling and long throws that the 996 shifter has. Some had dead smooth engines that you could not even hear at idle while others had a mild lope that was noticeable at idle. The smooth ones were consistantly weaker and slower. They were smooth, they just don't pull hard. The lopey ones give you a kick in your back at 2500-3000 rpms and pull much stronger all the way to the redline.

Tires all make a big difference in how the cars feel. Look at the tires on a particular car, before you drive it and start making judgements. All the cars I drove on Pirelli's rode really nice. The ones on Continentals all rode and handled like cr*p. Michelin's are in the middle for ride, but better for handling. Pirelli's respond slow. Continentals don't respond consistantly and give up grip quickly. I only drove 1 car on Bridgestones, the one I bought. The Bridgestones have great turn-in and more grip than either the Michelin's or Pirelli's, the downside is a much stiffer ride. To give you a perspective of how much a difference there is from just tires, on the same day I drove a M030 sports suspension car on Pirelli's that actually rode better than the base suspension car on Continentals. Everytime I got out of a car that I noticed something I didn't like about the way it handled, sure enough it was on Continentals.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:07 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I drove Car #1 and Car #2. Car # 3 is about a 3 hr ride away. I have eliminated number 1, because even though I loved the exterior color, I didn't like the beige interior.

Car #2 drove great but the check engine light was on the entire time? Does this mean a mjor problem or could it be minor. Seller came down to $45k.

Car #3 would be great, I would love to have a C4S but I think the seller's ask is too high. Seller came down a little to $51k but I think high 40's would be better, considering the mileage of 48k maybe $48,000 or $49,000 would be a better price.

What do you guys think? Car #3 will need rear tires very soon and is out of warranty. Checked into getting an aftermarket warranty and it will run $4-5k. 48k miles scares me a little because I assume I will need brakes and a clutch sooner than the other choices.

I actually found a Car #4. Very Low mileage, under 10k, has some existing factory warranty and then a 2 yr Cpo for about $51k. Not a C4S but does have leather and a color combo I like.

So right now it's between Car # 3 and Car #4.

Quick Reply: Help... Narrowed it down to three cars