Shifting issues with 4th and 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 03:13 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,027 Likes on 420 Posts
Default Shifting issues with 4th and 5th gear

Hello everyone,

I just bought my first porsche, it's a 99 Carrera 2, and I'm really excited about it, but at the same time I'm really stressed out that I can't shift as smoothly as I'd like to yet after having the car for a couple of weeks. I've driven a manual on a 3000GT for 7 years so I'm very familiar with shifting, but the Porsche seems like a whole different animal.

I've finally had enough practice where I can do 1st, 2nd and 3rd smoothly enough, but there's an odd issue when I try to shift to 4th and 5th gear. I put the clutch in to shift as usual, and after I shift into gear, as I'm letting the clutch out, there is a jolt, and the car moves on as usual. What's happening is that the revs are falling way down after I put the clutch in, and as I'm letting the clutch out, the engine has to "jolt" up to match the rev in 4th gear, I suppose due to me not having given enough gas in the transition.

I've driven many stick cars before and I never had to add that much gas to bring the revs up for 4th and 5th gears like this before. After some trouble shooting, I realized that if I shift super super quickly, then the revs don't have time to fall and the shift is smooth enough, or if I give more gas so that the revs can match up to when the clutch is released, then the shift is OK smooth, but somehow it doesn't seem like it's quite right.

Any thoughts on this? I figured the shifting from 3rd on up should be easier than the lower gears but I find it strange that it's just 4th and 5th. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelvin
Old 07-01-2006, 03:03 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's see some photos of your ride please!

That's not normal, the transmission should be pretty smooth. I'd say your synchronizers need looking at.

BTW I'm no mechanic but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Quick Reply: Shifting issues with 4th and 5th gear