Sponsored by:

Track Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Hootchi
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Tires?

Anyone have any recommendations on track tires.....that are semi affordable? For a 2002 C4S?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

you dont have much choices
DOT r compounds, mpsc and pirelli corsa that's about it.
i am not sure dunlop ssr or yoko advan got the correct sizes for C4s.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What is your experience in this car on the track? If none or minimal I would rec'd the perf street tires (my fav are the Bridge S02's). I tracked for almost 2 years on them to LEARN the car first. If you go straight to MPSC or Corsa's then you won't know your learning curve or the car's capabilities, break points, etc.. But.....if you have plenty experience with the car at the track (the 996) then go with the MPSC or Corsa's.

Last edited by LVDell; 06-30-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:56 PM
agio
Racer

We are now using the MSPC's. I'm told they're a bit slower than the Hoosiers (which we use to run), but they supposedly last much longer...i.e., we're getting out of the tire business.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:21 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Another C4S for the track, arright!!

As stated by Dell, it's a good idea to stick to street tires when you are still early in the DE game. You will learn to drive the car faster because of better techniqu rather than simply better tires. Street tires "talk" to you more about what you are doing right or doing wrong, and have a higher margin for error before you completely lose it.. My favorite street tire for the track is the P-Zero Assimetrico. They have the correct OEM size for the C4S. Tons of dry grip, more than any out there. You can also switch sides easily, since they are assimetric and non-directional, making them usable over a longer period. Don't make the mistake of getting PS2s. The are the best street tires but the worst track tires.

If you are in the higher run groups, then start with R-compounds. The current favorite is the MPSC. Correct tire size, awesome grip, availble anywhere, easily switchable left to right, long life for an R-compound.. Works best if you know what to do about track pressures and alignment.. Corsas are expensive, and are dedicated left/right and not easily switchable. The other tires with the right sizes are the Yoko Advan A048 and the Hoosier slicks. I have no experience with either.

Cheap? Kumho. Dunno if they are any good, 'tho.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:22 AM
Realist D.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like round tires for all of my track work. I have a race-prepped 924S that performs well on Hoosiers, but when I start to feel the $ pinch on the cost of tires I use anything round and have just as much fun (although the car is not as fast). If your track work does not consist of true competition, but rather is DE or fun track days, you are wasting your money on tires that make your car actually go faster - how would you know that your expensive tires made you faster if you didn't actually beat somebody and win a prize? As recommended by some wise people above, if you are doing DE you should stick to street tires, and I would add, cheap street tires. Tires and brake pads are the most expensive consumable items for track work, and upping your cost on these items will not get you anything unless you plan to win some prize money at your next DE.

BTW, I've actually run my race car at a DE event on snow tires (they were free!). The car handled great, was totally predictable (albeit several seconds a lap slower), and it was comically fun to talk about the tires during bench-racing.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:08 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I have to disagree with the thought that DE is not competitive. In our region, we have some very fast drivers who choose to run DE because of personal reasons. That doesn't mean that everyone there is trying to run as fast as possible, it's just that some of us are. For those who are pushing the edge and have enough talent to know the difference, tires are very important. Lately though, we have been switching to MPSC's since they seem to last much longer than Hoosiers (and certainly longer than slicks) and only give up a little in grip when used correctly.

I whole heartedly disagree with using the cheapest tires as you should definitely use tires that are rated for the speed you will be using them. Otherwise, they may catasrophically (sp?) fail.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:22 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not that I'm an expert, but I fully buy into Mitch's thinking.

I've experienced chunking (chunks of rubber coming off the tire after hard sessions on the track) with Pilot Sports. I'd hate to think of what would happen to tires that weren't rated for the task. If I'm taking a high speed turn at 80 mph and the tires are at their limit of grip, the last thing I'd want to think about is whether or not the tires are capable of the task.

Maybe performance rating are just a bunch of marketing hype and I'm just a sucker who fell for it, but I certainly feel safer knowing that I have tires deemed by the manufacturer as suitable for my application.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:01 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new Hoosier R6s seem to last several times as long as the R4s did. I don't think they will last as long as MPSCs but they should be much closer.

Having said that, I think my choice for DE would be MPSC. Plus they have the added advantage of being road worthy for the trip to the track.
Jim
Old 06-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

FYI,...if you decide to go with R-compounds, you most likely will not be able to get adequate camber with the stock suspension and will eventually be forced to upgrade that as well,...so keep that in mind.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:34 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimB
The new Hoosier R6s seem to last several times as long as the R4s did. I don't think they will last as long as MPSCs but they should be much closer.

Having said that, I think my choice for DE would be MPSC. Plus they have the added advantage of being road worthy for the trip to the track.
Jim
I hope they do because I would love to go back with Hoosiers! But for now it's MPSC
Old 06-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had great luck with the MPSC's. The provide great grip and great life!!
Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Hootchi
AutoX

Im running the Pzero's now...and they're okay....I really liked the Bridgestone S03's on my M5 as these Pzero's dont seem to grip as much. I dont have a ton of experience with this car on the track but, have taken my M5 for a couple years up and down the coast.

Thanks all for the feedback....good stuff!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeva
FYI,...if you decide to go with R-compounds, you most likely will not be able to get adequate camber with the stock suspension and will eventually be forced to upgrade that as well,...so keep that in mind.
Jeeva, have you put in the X73 yet? -2.0 in the rear works!!
Old 06-30-2006, 11:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Money no object, cups.
Second choice, corsa.
Cheapest, khumbo(sp).

Quick Reply: Track Tires?