Sponsored by:

996 C4S cab or 997C2S

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 07:30 PM
vannielj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 C4S cab or 997C2S

I posted this in the 997 group but am curious what the 996 owners think.

Ok, I am going to purchase my first porsche and it has to be used because the most I want to spend is ~70k. I have basically narrowed it down to going with either an '04 C4S cab, '05 C2 cab or '05 C2S (coupe). I am really torn but ignoring the whole cab debate is the 997 that much of an upgrade over the 996 C4S? Sorry if this is a stupid question and I know the 997 S has the 355 bhp engine but I though the C4S had the Turbo suspension and brakes which I would think would be better than the 997s? Also, the wide body is what I love most about the C4S. I am in California and don't need an AWD but I love the look of the C4s. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:27 AM
arrowax
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, i asked myself that question not so long ago. I had to choose between an earlier model TT (01-03),a C4S(03-04) and the 997 CS, all coupe (because i live in the midwest and i want to be able to drive it in the snow). I went with the 03 C4S at the end because:

- I will only keep the car for about a year, 2 max before i change . So i want minimum depreciation. The price difference b/w the 03 and 04 C4S is about $7k-$10k, that is the cost i would have to pay for the 1 year difference if i get the 04 instead of the 03,
while i can get an 05 S for around the price range of the C4S, i really need the awd system and as i said, if you consider depreciation, the C4S is the better way to go as it won't depreciate as much later.

-So at the time, what i really want is the Turbo then, but with my price range (~$70k), the only thing that fits my budget is an 02, some 03 with high mielage. So rather than having a car without warranty or with high mileage, i decided to get the C4S , either an 03 or 04, but as i was looking around, i got myself a great price for one 03 C4S, so i took it.

Your situation brings another dillema because you live in Cal, so you have wonderful weather all round and would want the cab. The reason i got the C4S is because i plan to keep it for a short time and if i am looking for a keeper, i would not have a problem with buying the 997 CS, or even dosh out some extra cash to get myself a new one even or another more expensive model (which brings even more dillemas, so i won't get into it. ). All in all, this is a wonderful dillema that most of us go thru and we all are very lucky to have to choose between wonderful cars. choose the one you really want, test drive them. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 996 C4S cab or 997C2S