Sponsored by:

Torture =(

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:24 PM
faris13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torture =(

Just had my fabspeed mufflers put on before my trip to Mexico this past week. Went up there with the GF and ended up in a Mexican hospital on the last day of the trip with a torn ACL, or so they think .

Got back to the states and am sitting on my @ss wishing I could go for a drive in the P car, let alone walk. Well just some advice for you guys traveling...don't get hurt in Mexico. I'll try to post pics of the ordeal later as my GF thought it would be funny to document the whole disaster .
Old 06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Duffs4
Instructor

That sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully they are wrong on the diagnosis and you'll be mashing the accelerator soon. Good luck. Now show us the gorry pictures!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Did they bleed you with leaches?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Vulture996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, look on the bright side, you have a Porsche.....
Old 06-29-2006, 03:53 PM
faris13
Advanced

lol...I'm on my way to the hospital in the states right now so I should have pics up later tonight. I ended up hurting the leg an hour and a half from where the hospital was. I get in this ambulance and get half way there before the thing f*@king dies on the highway. They end up transferring me to another ambulance in the middle of a busy highway all while blasting loud as hell rap music in the ambulance. I basically thought i was dead lol.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

I got sick in Mexico and called for a doctor to my hotel room. He came with a black bag just like in the 1800's and after an examination asked me if I was allergic to sulfur. I said no and he brought out of the bag 2 glass vials of medicine. Then he pulled an unsanitized pocket knife out from his pocket and proceeded to snip the top off of one of the vials and place a 1930's vintage glass syringe in to draw out the medicine. He then looked at me and said turn over!

Wooo there cowboy I said and then looked at my wife who was about to pass out. What is this stuff I asked, and I never really understood what he said in broken English. I asked where he got his medical degree from, hoping it was in the US.... no, Monterey he said proudly. Like I should know this.

Well, no flight out until the next day, sick as a dog and getting worse I decided to get the two most painful shots of my life!!! What was in those shots!!??

Ended up in the hospital right after I got off the plane in the US. The shots did basically nothing but I did get two things from this trip. A good story and the never waivering commitment from my wife that we are never going back to Mexico. And she means it!
Old 06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
BBHelms
Instructor

That sounds awful..sorry to hear. My friend broke his hip in Costa Rico and they wouldn't give him any pain medicine at all...took 2 days to get him back to the States in a private jet, all the time in excruciating pain!

Just have someone drive you around in the Pcar!

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2006, 05:13 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be careful when you travel oversees....well if you end up hurting yourself in Northern Europe you will be okay....but the rest of the world!!!?? A friend of mine got hurt in Spain...big cut in his foot....they started diggin in the cut with a knife...why?? To let more blood run out of the wound...to prevent infections!??!?? I thought that is why they give you a tetanus injection or anti biotics....?? But than again I am not a doctor!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
mduff
Instructor

Having lived in the poorest regions of Mexico for two years, I have seen a lot of medical horror cases. My experience has been that if you are anywhere near a large city you can expect reasonable help and care but it will be far behind the times as compared to US or European standards for the most part. In fact, you can probably draw a direct comparision between the highways and the medicine. If you have decent roads, relax, your ok. But about 95% of the roads suck, so their should be a pucker factor if you get hurt there! After all, you would drive your P-car on those roads would you?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:39 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One of my friends got alcohol poisoning on a trip and was rushed to the hospital (he was a diabetic, so we weren't sure what was wrong at the time). The hospital was pretty good and the doctors took good care of him. I guess it is just hit and miss whether you have a good experience or not.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Duffs4
Instructor

What I really want to know is if you met this guy down there?

Old 06-30-2006, 10:57 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

When I was in training I worked for an air ambulance outfit and we would fly into 3rd world countries and pick up hospitalized Americans and bring them back home. After seeing some of the facilities, I would recommend to all of you who are travelling out of th US to buy insurance that will pay for an air ambulance should you become hospitalized while travelling. Back in the early 90's the flight with a doctor on board costed around 15k from S. America.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:30 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffs4
What I really want to know is if you met this guy down there?

I doubt it, but I think this was the ambulance driver:

Hope you feel better man.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 06-30-2006, 03:01 PM
faris13
Advanced

Well here's a few of the pics...I actually have a short video of the ambulance drive that I'll try to post, it's pretty damn funny now that I look back at it.

I was a little worried in the hospital when I had three needles stuck in my knee with noone to explain in english what they were...that's always an awesome feeling lol. Well thanks for the support and Ill get the vid up soon
Attached Images     
Old 06-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Great story - it's a good thing it was your leg and not your appendix.

Quick Reply: Torture =(