Sponsored by:

996 headroom solution - just wait

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:46 AM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 headroom solution - just wait

I've started noticing that although my hair lightly brushes the roofliner when I drive to work, on my way home it doesn't! I guess the mild compression of my spine over the course of the day takes me from 6'4" to 6'3". Now, I can either buy a set of BK lowering mounts, or just get up 12 hours before the start of a trackday...
Old 06-28-2006, 12:10 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When you get out of bed in the morning jump 20 times and don't let your knees absorb any of the impact. Problem solved. Although after a while I would imagine you might have a whole other set of issues to deal with.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:17 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you wait long enough you might not have any hair to brush the headliner.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:26 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C4 Pazzo
If you wait long enough you might not have any hair to brush the headliner.
Genetics says I have 5-10 years, at most...
Old 06-28-2006, 03:25 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Just get a shorter hair cut!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:34 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I've got it - Cabrio. Sky's the limit - literally. I am 6'2" and have no trouble with the head room - maybe the sunroof makes the hard top lower.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:44 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simon,
You owned a 96' Miata and you are complaining about the headroom in a Miata. You must have never driven a Miata with the top up. The Miata has about 2" less head room (I also owned one). I have no problem being in my 996 with my helmet on and not having any problems rubbing. In my Miata, I could not wear a helmet with the top up or I was constantly rubbing rubbing the top. Do you have your seat in your 996 lowered all the way when it is rubbing? If not, you can move the seat down. If you are still having a problem, order a set of lowered seat rails from you dealer. 15mm lower seat rails are a factory option.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:03 AM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Simon,
You owned a 96' Miata and you are complaining about the headroom in a Miata. You must have never driven a Miata with the top up. The Miata has about 2" less head room (I also owned one). I have no problem being in my 996 with my helmet on and not having any problems rubbing. In my Miata, I could not wear a helmet with the top up or I was constantly rubbing rubbing the top. Do you have your seat in your 996 lowered all the way when it is rubbing? If not, you can move the seat down. If you are still having a problem, order a set of lowered seat rails from you dealer. 15mm lower seat rails are a factory option.

Actually, I almost never drove the Miata with the top up! I'd just arrived from Europe so I considered 60 degrees to be a warm day to be enjoyed with the top down and my sleeves rolled up. I also did the legendary "foamectomy" from miata.net which made things a lot more comfortable.

The 996 seat is definitely fully lowered, though I've found that for the track I'm most comfortable bring the seat forward a couple of inches and raking the seat cushion backwards to give me the most clearance for my helmet.

I do plan to acquire a pair of GT3 seats and some BK lowering mounts soon - I'll pop in to see Alex at Sharkwerks next time I'm in the Bay Area in a few weeks, to see how he sets up his cars and get some expert advice.

Still the factory seat rails sound interesting for the daily drive - do you have a part number?

Thanks,
Simon
Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny!

Quick Reply: 996 headroom solution - just wait