Sponsored by:

White Smoke at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 03:16 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ 996
In addition to idling after a run make sure the last cool down lap is just that, a nice easy lap around the track.
Good point. This should help as well. Not only cool down the engine and brakes but go easy on the turns also.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:47 PM
agio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-The 996 is a "puffer." No doubt that it happens. My example sounds a lot like yours. I have been trying to figure this all out since I've owned the car, but haven't yet. If I let the oil level stay on the low side of the marker, then I don't get the smoking. If I add about 1/3 or more of oil and the marker goes to the half way mark, then it's a real "bug killer" upon start up after driving hard.
-Also, I do notice that if you keep off the redline, the smoke seems to be less or non existant.
-I have allowed it to idle, but that doesn't seem to help my car at all.
-I had the oil separator replaced and if I follow what I mention above, it does seems to help avoid the smoke.
Conclusion: the 996 is a "puffer." Not all of them, but a lot of them for sure. The dealer claims that "it's normal." I say hogwash for such an expensive car!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Darren
If your car isn't doing it, maybe you aren't driving fast enough I know some people who don't have this issue, but they are also gentler on their cars. Those of us who are rough on our equipment seem to have more of an issue..
I was concerned about this issue this year. Last year it happened to me once at the track. I had heard about it from this forum so I went out with my run group. This year it has happen several times (5-6?). I thought . I am told this is normal from the dealer but??? Now it makes sense, ok I have a smoker, no big deal....but I am now running in the blue/white group not the green so I now have an answer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it....
Old 06-28-2006, 01:35 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
I thought the 996's (except for the GT2 & GT3) didn't have dry sumps. Am I missing something???
You are correct, "integrated dry sump" is Porsche marketing speak for wet sump.

There is no separate oil tank.

It is no different than the semi dry sump construction of say, the S54 BMW M3 engine, except it's a straight 6.

Flat 6 needs dry sump.

Shame because all 993's and prior 911's all have real dry sump blocks.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:46 AM
StuartFirm
Instructor

Granted this was in my 986, but provided the smoke wasn't caused by something like this, then you will be fine. My 986 smokes a little on startup after having been run hard then shut down quickly and so does my 996, but I usually let the 996 idle or cool-run for a while since it is supercharged.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2006, 01:47 AM
StuartFirm
Instructor

Here's another from few frames prior.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Hootchi
AutoX

Hey, how much was the oil separator?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:37 PM
agio
Racer

Hootchie,
My oil separator was replaced by the dealer a couple of months ago...while it was still covered under warranty.
Good luck and if you discover the "holy solution" to the puffer, let us know. I will keep you informed as I go through the protocols to try and figure this out.

Quick Reply: White Smoke at the track?