996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help: wandering front end!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006 | 12:19 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally Posted by gota911
It is probably not so much that the mismatched tires are causing this, but rather the wear on the Conti's on the front. Some tires have more of a tendency to “trammel” as they get wear out. I recalled that this was a frequent complaint about the Conti's a while back. I found this thread about Conti tires. There are not really many positive remarks on the Conti's. Pay special attention to post #23, it covers exactly the problem that you described.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=Conti
Dude

you have no idea how happy you have made me!!! I will be pulling these MF's Off ASAP!!!!!

That guy described my problem to a 'T' . I took this GD car to Porsche x3 with no F'ing results!!! AHHHAAAHDFHDAHHAD!!!!!!

thank you...will keep you posted
Old 08-10-2006 | 09:47 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

You are welcome. I'm glad I could help!
Old 08-10-2006 | 11:03 PM
auriga
Advanced

i recently replaced a damaged front tire on my 01 C4...Once installed i notice a significant pull to one side...tread on my original tire was down to 9/32nds v.s 11/32 on the new tire ( Dunlop SP Sport)

Porsche recommends replacing both tires on the axel if the tread wear is more than 25%...however even 2/32nds (20%) in size diff. in tread can cause a sign. pull!
Old 08-10-2006 | 11:56 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

OH Great, I just installed 2 new CSC2's on my rears.

As for the front tire sways, I've had those on the C4S as well as the BMW 540i.
Always happens on uneven roads especially on intersections where trucks damage the road surface most.
It has to be the wider tires, coz' my Chevy S10 with narrow tires just slice thru' whatever surface straight on. With the bimmer's wider tires (fronts are 235's) it did the same with whatever tires I had used, Michelin PS, Toyo Proxes, Yoko AVS ES100, Fuzion ZRi.
Old 08-18-2006 | 11:47 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally Posted by gota911
It is probably not so much that the mismatched tires are causing this, but rather the wear on the Conti's on the front. Some tires have more of a tendency to “trammel” as they get wear out. I recalled that this was a frequent complaint about the Conti's a while back. I found this thread about Conti tires. There are not really many positive remarks on the Conti's. Pay special attention to post #23, it covers exactly the problem that you described.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=Conti

After 10 days on the new rubber (p zero roso's) I can safely say my car has stopped wandering entirely!!

I since spoke with a work friend (not a sports car guy) regarding my wandering front end and he asked, "Are you running Conti's?...b/c the same thing happend to me in my SUV with those damn tires!"

Thanks Again!!!
Old 08-20-2006 | 11:25 PM
jbdmd
Pro

bump
Old 08-21-2006 | 10:03 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Yes, alignment and tire wear are always the first places to start looking when one has this problem.

Quick Reply: Help: wandering front end!