996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Very erratic idle and loss of power.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:17 PM
diablo_911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did. The dealer checked MAF and said it was not the root of the problem. In addition, the CEL light came on today when I went to move the vehicle out of the garage. Im really beginning to question the quality of these cars. With only 20k miles on ANY car, i should not be experiencing this many problems. ie. RMS, Throttle Body, etc etc. not a happy customer.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:05 PM
diablo_911
Intermediate

Update #3!

Vehicle brought to dealer yesterday. Dealer states current fault codes lead them to believe that the MAF is bad. "MAF I ask?....At my last visit, didnt you tell me that there was no way possible that the MAF was the cause"? The service rep had no explanation. I cheerfully pick-up the vehicle today as I am about to embark on a mini-vacation our to Cape Cod...... No more than 50 yards out of the parking lot, the vehicle has NO acceleration past 2,000rpm!!!! Does the work **** mean anything? At this time, im super pissed, navigate through some illegal turns and get the vehicle back to the dealer. Serenity now...Serenity Now.... I check-in with the service rep and calmly say "did your service tech even road test the vehicle"?>? He said "he should have". I demand that the vehicle be looked at immediately and i wait for 2 hours in the showroom..........Later that afternoon, the service tech states that he does not know what the problem is but he "THINKS"....(keyword THINKS) that its the "gas pedal potentiometer?" which is NOT covered under CPO.......SOOO? what should i do? From what I understand this is a $500 part and there is no guarantee that its a fix.... I demanded that they get a regional tech into their shop to better diagnose. This new problem cannot be related to my existing problem and theres no way in hell im paying for it. Does'nt anyone know how to work on these cars? Second dealership, third visit....still no results.... To date, this vehicle has ruined no less than 3 summer vacations!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:30 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Go to a good independent mechanic... The dealers are incompetent... PM me if you are looking for recommendations... Ross
Old 07-20-2006, 08:20 PM
diablo_911
Intermediate

Update #4!

Its a beautiful day. The sun is shining, no work for weeks and I get good news from my trusty friends at Porsche that my vehicle is ready! "Ready" I ask? This is great news!

Its been nearly 2 weeks since my last true bonding experience with my beloved C4cab. New wing was installed since my last endevour, new Alpine head unit w/ sirius/Ipod, new Mbquartz, new MAF, new throttle body, interior rattle fixed.OOOOOF. This is going to be a great weekend! I gleefully pick das boot up at 2pm, greeted with smiles and I just needed to make a quick pit stop to see if my "front lip" spoiler had come in. I proceed to speak to Mr. (im really busy) Parts Guy to get a status and he responds "You don't need that front lip spoiler, they fall off all the time and people never replace them". "I dont need one" I reply? "nope, waste of money" Mr. Parts Guy replies. "are you sure?. Im fairly certain that all 02+ 996's outfitted with the carrera wing need to have the front lip installed to balance aerodynamics", i stated. "where did you get this info", Mr Parts Guy inquires..... "from researching on www.rennlist.com" i respond. "Rennlist?" he chuckles. "Lots of wild imaginations on that site"..... my response..."hmmmmm...... just order the ****ing thing. If you ordered it on Monday like i asked it would be here by now".

Anyway....Back to the repair. The dealership replaced the DME and states this should be the ultimate fix. I'm on my way, immediately i hit the throttle (after warmup of course) and notice a much sparkier acceleration! Feels like a new car! I jump on to 287north headed home to the highlands of New Jersey and I'm delighted to finally have the vehicle back!. Some vintage metallica has somehow convinced me to really put the vehicle to the test and im quickly pacing @105 on 287. Police? No policia in site and quite honestly, not worried about them either! I exit 287, make the super fun jughandle exit onto 23 north.....rail the turn, throttle it up, get a little slippidy slide and im back on the the throttle! back on the throttle....back on the throttle? gues what? there is none.....No power above 1500RPM.!$$#$## The engine revs, but hardly any acceleration. Now this is real fun. I bee-line back to the dealership and low and behold im back in the wonderful 2001 A4 loaner car until at least next tuesday. Im beyond pissed. This car has been a handful, but has certainly done wonders for my interest in being intoxicated. I'll post an update next week. The joys of owning a porsche.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:37 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Diablo - man that sucks! Did you talk to the General Manager at the dealership about this yet? If not, it might be a good time to do so. I hope they get it figured out.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:44 PM
diablo_911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gota911
Diablo - man that sucks! Did you talk to the General Manager at the dealership about this yet? If not, it might be a good time to do so. I hope they get it figured out.
Bummer. I know.... I contemplated speaking to someone of higher authority but I wasn't sure what could be done. I'm usually the first person to "speak-up" but I really believe that their techs and their service advisor are doing the best they can. I can see the humility and frustration on their faces so at least I KNOW they are trying. Other than taking the vehicle to a THIRD dealership, or taking the vehicle private, theres not much else i can do right? Vehicle is still covered under CPO so I dont really feel like paying out-of-pocket. I jokingly tried to convince the service advisor to sell me an 07 turbo at cost, but that didnt really work

This is really unfortunate. I was hoping to take the vehicle to Whistler BC next week and even if the car is finished in time, i have no faith in it.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:09 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking to a higher authority may get everything covered financially, I mean having to go back and forth to the dealership is precious time off your life Porsche should be told this.

Also, what's a DME? My next guess is it's still the MAF or the ECU other than that there really is nothing left but spark plugs.

Originally Posted by diablo_911
Bummer. I know.... I contemplated speaking to someone of higher authority but I wasn't sure what could be done. I'm usually the first person to "speak-up" but I really believe that their techs and their service advisor are doing the best they can. I can see the humility and frustration on their faces so at least I KNOW they are trying. Other than taking the vehicle to a THIRD dealership, or taking the vehicle private, theres not much else i can do right? Vehicle is still covered under CPO so I dont really feel like paying out-of-pocket. I jokingly tried to convince the service advisor to sell me an 07 turbo at cost, but that didnt really work

This is really unfortunate. I was hoping to take the vehicle to Whistler BC next week and even if the car is finished in time, i have no faith in it.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:24 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that really sucks
ask the dealer to give u a better loaner. at least a boxster. so u have some fun for the weekend!
Old 11-07-2009, 07:16 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Diablo, I am getting similar behaviour, cannot go above 4000 RPM,
and Durametric shows faults P1120 and P1121.

How and what else did you do to fix the problem?
Old 11-08-2009, 04:55 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

How and what else did you do to fix the problem?

Doesn't appear to be fixed!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Cats.....
Old 11-09-2009, 01:41 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cats? aren't there sensors after the cats that would trigger an error code?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:04 AM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

Had a similar experience some year ago on a Saab 93 Viggen. cats were completely fouled up causing lack of acceleration and rough idle. Also took about 4 dealer visits to sort out (after everything engine related had been replaced under waranty).

Quick Reply: Very erratic idle and loss of power.