Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What reason(s) would an authorized Porsche dealer sell a low mileage 911 as non-CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Truthfully, I never thought that LV stood for Las Vegas; I thought it meant 'Lateral Velocity'.

ON TOPIC: I hear you Dell vis a vis the CPO, but depending on the dealer and if he likes you and what not, they will do a lot more under CPO warranty (i.e. - treat it more like a fully new warranty) than you think. All the more reason to maintain a good relationship.
Totally agree with that statement....this is also a good reason to talk to the service guys while buying the car...trust me it'll be there and get to be on a first name basis with them...most have Porsche's, find out what they own, what they like...and MOST of all...when the car is right, CALL AND THANK THEM.....They hear nothing but complaints and people wanting their car fixed right away, if you call and say, "I just wanted to thank you for taking car of my car today, it seems like all is well and I am enjoying it....Talk to you later." This goes a LONG way...like I said, all my repairs were done under warranty, including a few that were not supposed to be covered....I aloways make a point to do this when my car has been somewhere...it makes people happy to see you because they dont assume you are gonna bitch at them. Now if they do sometrhing wrong, tell them that too....but make it even..if its right let them know....Back to this topic, if they wont certify the car, find another one...there are too many great CPO cars out there and if its a rinky dink dealer, imagine how the service will be when something does go wrong. I am a firm believer is take your car to one dealer for service if at all possible and preferably the one you bought it from. This will give you more weight and they will try and take care of you better than just a guy in off the street with a warraty repair...they have no reason to extend you any other kindness other than what they are recquired to do....
Old 06-20-2006, 02:11 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I asked the sales rep if it was certified and she said no that their dealership rarely sells cars as certified due to the costs involved. She said they usually will sell a good 3rd party warranty at a lower cost that can offer as good or better coverage.

If BS were gold, most Dealers would be billionares.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:14 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
I asked the sales rep if it was certified and she said no that their dealership rarely sells cars as certified due to the costs involved. She said they usually will sell a good 3rd party warranty at a lower cost that can offer as good or better coverage.

If BS were gold, most Dealers would be billionares.
Agreed - they are giving you a line of BS and I would find another dealer. Also, CPO cars normally sell for 3k to 5k more than a non CPO car, so why would they not invest the $1 to $1.5k and get an even greater return on their investment.

Additionally, I would not trust this dealership to do any work or give you straight talk if you need maintenance at a later date.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Truthfully, I never thought that LV stood for Las Vegas; I thought it meant 'Lateral Velocity'.

ON TOPIC: I hear you Dell vis a vis the CPO, but depending on the dealer and if he likes you and what not, they will do a lot more under CPO warranty (i.e. - treat it more like a fully new warranty) than you think. All the more reason to maintain a good relationship.
I guess that would explain my experience. Truth is, I never got a lisitng of what's covered and what's not on my CPO. I leased the car brand new from the dealership, then bought it from them CPO at the end of the lease. Cost me an additional $1500, the actual dealer cost. I was TOLD by the dealership that CPO is exactly the same as the original, just extended, and that's exactly how it is stated in my bill of sale. I guess whatever is not covered in the real CPO they cover as goodwill. So far, they have been true to ther word. I would be one pissed MF if they didn't.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Good one Edward! I like that interpretation

As for my response to the CPO, I totally concur. My response was a black and white response so everybody understood EXACTLY what it is and isn't. Anything outside the CPO covered items would be classified as "Good Will" and each dealer as a budget of how much good will they will give out in a budget year. If you are one of the better one's, then you get a better piece of that pie!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:54 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had two similar situations and decided to pass on both cars. During the winter I looked at a 2000 coupe, with only 13k miles that the dealer refused to CPO. Car looked new.

Then last week I test drove a 2000 cab with 55k miles, original warranty was expired, dealer first told me, they would reduce price by $2k and I should get an aftermarket warranty.

After dealer told me aftermarket warranty would be about $5k, they suggest they would CPO and do the 60k service, but they would now ADD $4k to the price($6k to the $2k discount they originally offer) I could tell just by looking that the car need brake pads and rotors.

The car drove great, was very tight, didn't feel like it had 55k miles, no sqeaks or rattles at all, but for that price, I could buy an 02, which I decided to wait for.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:46 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

FWIW, I bought a 99 C4 Cab WITH the certification at below blue book from a dealer. I just started negotiating and told them that we are talking WITH CPO warranty....they just kept saying ok...til we got to a price we all agreed on, and I reminded them it was with the CPO warranty, they again agreed, and I got the car...Complete warranty packet with Porsch Roadsided assistance came in the mail.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:02 PM
otherbmw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As usual this board is great for advice! I will press the dealer...

for at least a price estimate for what it would be with a real CPO warranty. If they refuse or give me a ridiculous price I will walk.

Bt the way, the dealer is 2 1/2 hours away so it is unlikley I will be using them for service. Any warranty (third party or otherwise) would have to apply to my local Porsche dealer.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:04 PM
otherbmw
Intermediate

Default By the way you can see the cars.com ad (no pics though)

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...4&aff=national
Old 06-22-2006, 12:10 AM
42empress
Racer

My car is CPO and it was in an accident. I called PCNA to make sure car was covered, and they stated that if it was sold with the warranty by the dealer, then it was good. All dealers are crooks to some degree.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:33 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by otherbmw
for at least a price estimate for what it would be with a real CPO warranty. If they refuse or give me a ridiculous price I will walk.

Bt the way, the dealer is 2 1/2 hours away so it is unlikley I will be using them for service. Any warranty (third party or otherwise) would have to apply to my local Porsche dealer.
Then I would call your local Porsche dealer and make sure they accept the warranty. Some dealer swill not accept all warraties and make you pay for the repair and you will have to get reimbursed, minus your deductable...a pain...Again, CPO is accepted by all Porsche dealers, no questions asked.

Quick Reply: What reason(s) would an authorized Porsche dealer sell a low mileage 911 as non-CPO?