Sponsored by:

DE and warranty don't mix

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 10:37 PM
Arthur
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DE and warranty don't mix

My dealer told me that because I "track" the 996, my warranty is completely void. "Track" means, driving on the race track. It could be going 50 MPH , or 120 MPH. So, owners of Porsche's that are still under warranty need to drive no faster than 70 MPH because THAT is the speed limit. Any faster than that, it could mean that you've been at the "track", but how can you defend yourself? "Well, sir, from what the Porsche computer reads, your 996 had a maximum speed recorded at 120 MPH, with the engine spinning at 5000 RPM. That, sir means that you were at the track, therefore, we will not cover the power window motor that has failed. You see, those high G-forces cause the rotors in the motors to reverse polarity, resulting in a massive failure of the DME circuitry. You, sir are responsible for the repairs." Dammit. I knew I should have gotten that 89 Carrera!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2001, 10:51 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
thats 100% rediculous BS and you will have to find a new Porsche dealer immediately. Please post the store and technitians name. There are Porsche dealers in the USA that install chips on all Porsches including 2002 996Twin Turbos, hold track events and DE for customers at racetracks(one dealer even has a racetrack @ the dealership for "real Testdrives"), sponsor clubraces and provide pacecars and lapping cars to VIPs..........and furthermore and what makes the story completely insane is that Porsche USA & AG has racetrack events for civilians at numerous racetracks and resells those and all other press cars with full warranties. PS .......if you live in Europe/Middleast/ROW......the DME will have 6000-7000RPM recorded. Voiding anything by virtue of spped/RPM.......means instant protracted litigation. Get a new dealer to handle your business.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 10-25-2001, 10:09 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Thumbs down

I agree this is total BS. My dealer has installed the Porsche Motorsport oil upgrade for me and knows I track the car. He has never refused to do any work under warranty, including helping me by resetting the airbag light after I installed 6 point harnesses and triggered it by accident.

A couple weeks ago I had the car in for the oil leak TSB and also mentioned that I was getting a loud creak in the front dash when turning the wheel. He did the oil leak repair (2nd time) and fixed the creak by tightening up an aftermarket front strut bar I had put in and that had come loose. He certainly could have legitimately charged me for that one and I would have gladly paid but he did it under warranty.

The easiest thing to do is to find a different dealer but you may also want to discuss it with a lawyer if you want to teach this dealer a lesson in US warranty law.

Karl
Old 10-25-2001, 11:59 AM
grungyspeed
Instructor

Karl, who is your dealer
Old 10-25-2001, 12:27 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by grungyspeed:
<STRONG>Karl, who is your dealer</STRONG>
HBL in Tyson's Corner.
Old 10-26-2001, 12:24 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Porsche sponsors track events.
Old 10-26-2001, 03:13 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Sue them. It wouldn't be the first time that a client won against a dishonest dealer.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:14 PM
STRSHP
Racer

Hmm, just got a new transmission installed under warranty by another NoVa dealer no hassles. 99, 996 C2. Seems I had a bad first gear synchro.
Old 10-27-2001, 07:54 PM
Frank Brown
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep - total BS. I'd call Porsche and tell them about the dealer. Brumos Porsche in Jacksonville even goes so far as giving you a track day with one of their instructors (Hurley Heywood is the VP of the company, too) in YOUR car. In fact, I weas told that even if you did some modification work to the car, this would not void the warranty. They would not cover the modified parts or anything that the modification directly altered. But if you put headers on and your window motor gave out - it's still covered under warranty.

I personally have told my dealer that I track the car and they just finished replacing the seal between the engine and transmission for a small oil leak - covered under warranty. I have a '99 996 C2.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:28 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Karl,

First good story I have heard about HBL in a long time.

STRSHP,

Are you talking about Arlington Porsche or a different one?

Thanx,

E. J.
Old 10-28-2001, 02:22 PM
dino
AutoX

I agree total BS. My local Porsche dealer mechanic goes to many Porsche drevers ed events and gives tech support.
dino
Old 10-28-2001, 10:38 PM
CarlosR
Instructor

I bought my 996 from Arlington Porsche (used to be Heischman's), and they not only support the PCA, but do FREE track inspections there!
And I've never had any issue with them in regards to warranty coverage.

So, Arthur, as others have said, get yourself a new dealer, if there are others in your area. If not, you may have to take them to court, but I think you'd win.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:49 AM
STRSHP
Racer

In answer to Karl, my dealer is the now Arlington Porsche though it will always be Heishmans in my book. As indicated Heishmans does DE tech inspections for free given space available and they helped me host the first ever Boxster meeting in the east, the Boxster Rebellion. HBL does support the club, or used to as the host of our new comer's party. I am not sure of their level of suppport now. We have not had a tech inspection at HBL in quite a while. Others in the DC area that seem to support our DE events are Rockville Porsche and Tischer. Hope that helps

Quick Reply: DE and warranty don't mix