Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a 996 Cab - any current advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 05:32 PM
bgrabner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about a 996 Cab - any current advice?

Hi there - coming in from the 928 forums I have 2 928 S4's and a Mazda Miata, and am thinking about reducing the fleet since I am moving. I definitely want to have a drop top, and I am pretty passionate about Porsches, so I want to stay in the family rather than going to another marque.

I am not very familiar with the 996, hence the information request. In terms of wants, I would be looking for a mid-range price ($40-$60K) cabriolet with a 6 speed, which seems attainable. My question is more on user experience and reliability. The 928 is a cruiser, and the Miata is easy to throw around corners. I see the 996 as in the middle - more sporty than the 928, but better for just cruising along than the Miata. Is that a true statement?

On reliabiity, I have searched through this forum and it seems like some owners have great experiences with their 996, and others have had a host of issues. I like to do as much of my own wrenching as possible, but I have no experience with how difficult working on the 996 can be. This will not be a daily driver, but I would like it to be a frequent driver Thoughts or comments on the reliability? Is is better to get as new as possible with a warranty and extend it?

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome! Thanks!

Bill
Old 06-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome!!

Although I own a 2000, you might want to consider the 2002+ since they have the glass rear window (and a few more hp). Other than that, all 996 Cabs are nice to me, especially the Turbo!

As for reliability, I've had a few niggly issues but nothing that would keep me from driving the car anytime/anywhere. Otherwise, my 2000 cab has been a joy to own.

Enjoy!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:37 PM
996 Convert
Racer

I've got an 03 Cab and absolutely love it. Your views compared to your other rides are spot on. In that price range, you can get a well equipped, low mileage CPO vehicle that is as good as new but without the huge depreciation hit.

Mine is a daily driver and I have just over one year of ownership with 15K miles that I've put on over the course of about 9 months (I travel a lot). No major problems or expenses other than the gas bill due to my heavy right foot. (I have gotten as high as 29 MPG on the highway).
Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

I picked up a 2000 996 a year ago.
Daily driver. Great car.
Only issue I've had so far is the top which had to be replaced (tops will last between 5 to 7 years here in the South). The 'plastic' rear window tends to disconnect from the canvas. Major cost for a Porsche (> $3K).
Other than that, I guess you've heard of the RMS issues.

Just go for a decent PPI.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:37 PM
djantlive
Drifting

I own a 02. It's the best year since it's the only facelifted model without MOST optic fiber network for stereo. MOST will limit your ability to upgrade stereo. Given your budget, I'd go with an 02+.

Weak points in 996 cab are: RMS, rattles, coolant expansion tank, MAF failure. Checking the warranty and service history on the car would give you insight to the history of car. Gettting a PPI will tell you the mechanical condition of the car as is. Keep in mind that CPO does not cover as much as the original warranty. If you can afford a newer car with 1-2 yr of original warranty, it's better than buying one with CPO warranty.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:11 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Bill,

I'll keep an eye out for you in the Berg. You have a large price range and can certainly find a lot in there and in our area. I agree that an 02+ is a good option...I will not say the best because they are all good. You say that it would not be a daily driver but frequent driver. I assume that this is not for track purposes or you porably would not be going with a Cab. The reason I mention this is that it seems the mod bug affects almost 99% of 996 owners. The cars are great out of the box but there are just so many goodies out there and they are hard to resist. I would just keep this in mind on the purchase. Think about the things that you want and then look for the car that has them or save that aside so you can do it yourself. Good luck and maybe I'll see you in town.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:12 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe2000C4Cab
Welcome!!

Although I own a 2000, you might want to consider the 2002+ since they have the glass rear window (and a few more hp). Other than that, all 996 Cabs are nice to me, especially the Turbo!

As for reliability, I've had a few niggly issues but nothing that would keep me from driving the car anytime/anywhere. Otherwise, my 2000 cab has been a joy to own.

Enjoy!
I second Joe's opinion. I too bought a moderately low mileage 2000 and do love it, but I could have afforded to go 2002. If I could do it over again, I would go newer. You can definitely get a 2002+ if you're willing to go up to 60k, and you should be able to get a Certified Pre Owned car, which I would personally recommend. If you see a car you like, don't hesitate to post the asking price here and you should get some quick replies about fair pricing. Enjoy the search!

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 996 Cab - any current advice?