Sponsored by:

Harness Bar for 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 03:20 PM
rb in dm
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Harness Bar for 996

Anyone out there have a harness bar for their 996 that mounts between the B-pillars but isn't so huge as to take up the space of the entire back seats (preferably using existing mounting points so no drilling is required)?

I would ideally use the Brey-Krause R-1010 Harness Guide Bar, but BK says that it won't work in a 996 due to the adjustable height feature of the factory belts. I know that their Harness Mount Bar, which does work, is safer, but it's also much larger, and I'd strongly prefer something that could be more quickly and easily removed and stored. Of course, I'd never have anyone in the back seats with any bar mounted.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:50 PM
Andrew Ryder
2nd Gear

The brey-Krause bar is great! I'm replacing mine only because I need a roll bar to get into club racing. The bar itself can be removed in truly about 3 minutes. I'm installing my rollbar in a couple weeks. If you want my BK bar after that, you're welcome to make an offer. I can't list a price because I don't recall what I paid for it new.

-Andy
Old 08-30-2001, 10:38 PM
MikeG
Rennlist Member

Are you looking for a harness guide bar or an actual harness bar? In other words, do you plan on attaching the harness to the bar or to the car?

I have the stable-energies harness guide bar, which fits between the b-pillars, installs in about 10 minutes. My harnesses are attached to the rear seat anchor points. This works for all of the DE's I've been in so far, but I've heard that some clubs frown upon the harness guide bars.

Mike
Old 09-01-2001, 12:45 PM
rb in dm
AutoX

Talking

Thanks very much for the responses. I checked both of the suggestions out thoroughly and, through a bit more searching that I did on my own, went with a bar from Speedware Motorsports. It's significantly smaller (in terms of space to store) than the Brey-Krause and has the added benefit of an integrated fire extinguisher mount (all for just over half the cost of the BK). I do agree with Andrew that the BK is a great bar, space not a factor (my local dealer says it takes 20-30 minutes to remove though, which is odd). The Speedware bar looks (for whatever that's worth) stronger than the Stable-Engergies model, has loops to minimize lateral movement of belts that are attached to it, and is all stainless. I'll try to post some photos next week.

Anyhow thanks again Andrew and Mike.
Old 09-02-2001, 07:23 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally posted by rb in dm:
<STRONG>...I would ideally use the Brey-Krause R-1010 Harness Guide Bar, but BK says that it won't work in a 996 due to the adjustable height feature of the factory belts. ...</STRONG>
- I believe the correct BK item is the R-1030 Harness Mount - 996 Coup.

I got a price of $549.95 from OG racing - good company from what I can tell. They also told me I'd need Brey Krause seat belt mounts $64 and a complete cam-lock belt sytem for one seat is approx. $180.

I will end up getting all this before my next track day in a few weeks. I just think it's a good bit of money. Anyone done the same have comments on this set-up?

Also, I've heard a lot of talk about taking these out and putting them back in. Why not just leave them in? Seems like a pain to keep installing and removing.

Any experiences?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 09-02-2001, 12:03 PM
rb in dm
AutoX

Agree with Josh that the only BK bar for the 996 is the R-1030. Just to be clear, I was looking for a Harness Guide Bar as opposed to a Harness Mount Bar. Guide bars seem much easier and faster to get in, take out and store. I want to be able to take mine out when I am not tracking the car because having any bar in the car makes the back seats unsafe and thus unusable. While I don't use my back setas often, I have had at least one emergency where I needed to use them thus far. Plus I think the giant mount bars are ugly when you're not on the track.
Old 09-03-2001, 06:19 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Question

RB,

Did you find a local source for the BK R-1030 while researching this? And did you happen upon any good prices for same?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 09-03-2001, 03:31 PM
rb in dm
AutoX

Josh...My local motorsports shop San Diego Motorsports sells them, installs them, etc. Same price you found (which is the MSRP). Not sure if they'd discount, if asked...I never got that far since I found an alternative that was better suited to my needs.

Best of luck...rb
Old 09-03-2001, 05:00 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info RB.

Best,

Josh

Quick Reply: Harness Bar for 996