Sponsored by:

GT3 Rear Wing Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 09:49 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post GT3 Rear Wing Question

OK.....When I first read about the GT3 coming to the US I was very happy. I knew it would have some type of rear wing for aerodynamics. When I first saw it, I did not like it. Of course I ordered one anyway. The more I see it the more it is growing on me.

Here is the question. If the aerodynamic aspect of the wing was not an issue and given the factory option to delete it, would you?

I hope you all had a safe Memorial Day weekend.

JG
Old 05-26-2003, 10:56 PM
mrcohanian
Intermediate

Keep the tail. The car looks integrated with it. It is possible I guess to remove it and place a standard 996 rear lid on but you run the risk of disrupting the handling characteristics of the car. Also I don't know if the car will look right with a GT3 front/side spoiler with no tail. You have to remember that porsche spent alot of time developing that aero package ie. increased downward force on the rear axle as well as increased air to the engine.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:19 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

mrcohanian,

I definitely do not plan to modify the wing. I was asking everyone...IF... you had the factory opton to delete it (if the aerodynamic aspect was not an issue) would you? Basically, do you like it? I edited my original post to make the question a bit clearer.

Thanks,

JG
Old 05-26-2003, 11:28 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Good question. I guess it is a matter of taste. I like the clasic 911 with the sloped back. So, if aerodynamics were not an issue, I would take a wide body 911 with the performance running gear of the GT3. No wings of any kind.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:56 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

No. A wing has been a mark of high performance Porsche's since early 70's. From the ducktail on the Carrera RS to the whale tail on the 930 Turbo, the ultimate 911's all have distinguishing aero features. The only way I'd delete the wing is if I could replace it with a Cup car wing.

Karl
Old 05-27-2003, 12:13 AM
TNGT3
Instructor

Karl,
Good point. I do like the ducktail on the Carrera RS and like the incorporation of it on this GT3.

Palting: I saw your pics in another post. Very nice.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:22 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a new tail, but switched to the old one... liked it better.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:25 AM
Hamann7
User

I'm definitely modifying my wing...

I'm thinking a carbon fiber, adjustable banana wing... Ah, screw it, I'm changing the whole aerokit.

You will see an aerokit II up for sale not long after I get my car, or I will keep it as a spare in case I sell the car.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:55 AM
Weng
Instructor

I like the look of the new wing but agree with Karl - Cup car wing would be the item of choice. Anyone know what impact the Cup car wing has on straight line speed or normal highway driving dynamics?
Old 05-27-2003, 06:04 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

I can live with the wing. But...would there be a way to remove the engine lid with wing and somehow get a rear engine lid with the ducktail only? I would definitely keep the original in case I needed it.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts
there is no wing delete option, i asked.

and it does grow on you as the shape is complex, not flat as you first think.

and if you guys change the wing, you are becoming aero designers competing with the larger [for most of you] resources on the factory. how do you know you won't f*** it up and cause a dynamic instability? remember all the dweebs who put whale tails on their SC's and destoyed its stability??????? i know tyson, before chicago, you were in aero at CalTech....
Old 05-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

If you don't want your GT3 I may be in the market for one if I end up buying the car listed in this thread:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=004225" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=004225</a>

They removed the wing it came with and I sorta liked it!
Old 05-28-2003, 02:37 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Hey guys,

I am definitely not modifying the wing. Watt, calm down, take a few seconds and find your "happy place". Just kidding, I really enjoy reading your posts...I have learned a lot from you.

I would never do anything to destroy the spirit or design of the car. I have never modified any of the 911's I have owned. The wing is definitely growing on me and I plan to keep the GT3 for a long time...famous last words. I am just thinking out loud and wondering what everyone else thinks about the wing.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Hamann7
User

watt,

hahaha looks like your east coast sense of humor is back in full swing again!

do you really think that gt3 wing is that complex? The top part of the wing looks pretty flat to me.

Manthey Racing put a GT2 wing on the back of theirs and it looked ok. I'm sure the GT2 wing or anything shaped similar to it would probably be just fine.

I'm not necessarily wanting to design my own aerokit, I just want to put some pieces on that I actually like.

It's funny that you mention the large resources of the factory... did you know that the MY2000 GT3 actually had a lot of front end lift at high speeds? Even though its aerokit was pretty, it wasn't very good for triple digit speeds because it didn't generate enough downforce. That's probably why the GT3-R/RS aerokits are so dramatically different.

The Ruf RGT front spoiler with a GT2-type wing would look nice and probably be just as functional. Sometimes you have to think outside the box! You should see ching bling's new front end in person... it's pretty crazy looking and, he claims he can feel the difference in downforce!
Old 05-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts
ahh, Ching Bling, very slopey car!!!! but it's very messy design as i pointed out prior. i am glad it functions.

since i work in 2,3,4 gear, i would have loved to delete the gt3 wing, maybe even my gt2 wing, but perkins said NO. i have never found accoutrements attractive, that's why i like the look of a 73 S better than an RS altho' i prefer the RS as a car. i bet i could get by below 120 mph w/o one... on the gt3.

and you are right that generally you get away with aero mod.s or even improve on the factory -- otherwise there wouldn't beso much hotroddin goin on ---

you and wilbur should send us all a photo of an aero treatment of the gt3 that is not as wingy as that giant racing wing thang you showed me before. Can you make it LESS obtrusive than the factory??? And make it match my pink mink interior?????

Quick Reply: GT3 Rear Wing Question