996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does Anyone make a Gated Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006 | 12:19 AM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does Anyone make a Gated Shifter?

I am curious as to see how a gated shifter(Ferrari-style) would look on our cars...

My curiosity stems from my slow learning curve on the 6-speed

-Keith
Old 06-09-2006 | 12:26 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense, but you really do not need a gated shift on these cars. Here is a tip, the shifter is centered . . . so, you can always briefly shift to neutral before going to any gear, regardless of whether you are shifting up or down. So, if you are in 1, 3 or 5, just gently pull towards you with your fingertips and the shifter will pop into neutral straight up and down. If you then pull straight back, you will go into 4th. If you pull to the left, you will hit 2nd. If you pull to the right, you will hit 6th.

If you are in 2, 4, or 6, you just gently push forward with your palm until the shifter pops into neutral straight up and down. If you push directly forward, you will hit 3rd. press to the left and you will hit 1st. press to the right and you will hit 5th.

The key is to never pull directly from one gear to another (e.g., 5th to 4th) because you could miss and go into the wrong gear (e.g., 2nd) which could lead to a very expensive misshift aka "the moneyshift"

If you shift this way, you will never miss a shift. It is actually far easier than it sounds, and you will learn to do it so quickly noone will notice what you are doing. The downshifts are excellent this way and they help you time your heel/toeing.
Old 06-09-2006 | 09:47 AM
s14roller
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keith,

I believe the gated shifted is also sometimes referred as a curse on those cars...makes it a bit harder to shift versus how your 6sp is set up now.
Old 06-10-2006 | 05:01 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
If you are in 2, 4, or 6, you just gently push forward with your palm until the shifter pops into neutral straight up and down. If you push directly forward, you will hit 3rd. press to the left and you will hit 1st. press to the right and you will hit 5th.
This is excellent advice and true even with SSK (at least with my Porsche OEM SSK).
Old 06-11-2006 | 05:30 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice,

I am not looking for a gated shifter inorder to improve my skills...I have never missed a shift in the car. I just sometimes forget what gear i am in because i have not learned the ratio's of the car yet, and i havent rememberd the shift RPMs comming from my 5-speed, long geared M3...

I was more interested because i think a gated shifter looks classy...But i guess no one has one here...

-Keith
The following users liked this post:
peterp (10-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Does Anyone make a Gated Shifter?