Sponsored by:

Time for tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 11:08 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Interesting read.

On previous threads, a lot of people were recommending the Michelin Sport Cups. However, I believe the context of the recommendation was for track tires that were street legal and street usable. This was also the recommended tire in a recent Pano article regarding 18" tires.

Am I correct in assuming that for the mostly street car, the recommendation is for the S03's due to less road noise? For the track car used on the street, the recommendation is for the Mich Sport Cups?
Old 04-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Arthur:
<strong>Viken and UpLarry, would you share the circumstances that led to a blow out? For instance, how fast were you driving/going through corners/etc. Thanks,</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">My blowouts have all been at L.A. freeway speeds (~65-70 mph) and in straight lines. Some ended-up with a shredded tire and other times it was caused by sidewall separation from the carcass.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:10 PM
uplarry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Arthur:
<strong>That's scary that these tires blow out with street driving. Viken and UpLarry, would you share the circumstances that led to a blow out? For instance, how fast were you driving/going through corners/etc. Thanks,</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Just to avoid misinformation, I did not mean to imply that the S03's had blowouts. I have not tried those. My previous tires were Kumho Ecsta 712's (17 inch stock wheels). I went cheap on the theory that even if they wore down twice as fast as more expensive tires I was still coming out ahead.

But, I was thinking along the lines of tread wear, not tire failure. Both of my rear Kumho tires had sidewall failures after about 7,000 miles of pretty easy street driving. I do not drive very aggressively (waiting for a point to be removed from my license :-).

The first tire blew out at about 60 mph on straight highway driving. I was just entering the freeway and accelerating up to speed when it happened.

I will take some responsibility for the second failure though since it was noticed that my tires were underinflated. I noticed some vibration coming from the rear. While inflating the rear tire, it blew out (bubble in the sidewall).

So the lessons I've learned are:

1) Check tire pressure often! I was not used to low profile tires and didn't know you can't really tell by looking at them that they are underinflated since the sidewalls are so stiff.

2) I will always use Porche approved tires from now on. Hopefully by the time I need new tires, Porche will have approved the S03's (the longer tread life is very attractive).

Quick Reply: Time for tires