Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

rebuilt engine due to "intermix issue"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006 | 04:02 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Default rebuilt engine due to "intermix issue"?

My friend is looking for a 99 C2.. like others he is concerned about RMS.. and this one example supposedly has been rebuilt due to an "intermix issue".

Should it be less desirable due to the early rebuild at only 59k miles? With 66k miles the owner is ready to sell... should he ask more specific questions?

What kind of 996 can he get for low 30s? year 2000 with less than 40k miles possible? He prefers one that has litronics and aerokit.. how much do those add to resale?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-06-2006 | 06:45 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Look into it a little further.....rebuild or replaced with a remanufactured engine? To my knowledge....the intermix happens in the block, what kind of rebuild can you do except maybe swap it with another block? But was it a new block, used block, wrecking yard block? 99 block, 01 block?....all these things matter....Porsche has remanufactured engines with stronger internals and the intermix issue fixed.....so if he used an original 99 block, say one from a wrecking yard then there is no telliing if the issue may happen again in another 40k miles. If it was indeed rebuilt and not replaced with a new (remanufactured) engine, I would stay away, UNLESS the original owner has all those answers and can back it up with paperwork...Litronics and aero dont add much at all to the cost, in fact aero makes it harder to sell as some (my wife) HATE the rear wing and forbid me to buy a car with that rear wing on it. Find a solid car, those things can be added if they are not on the car.
Old 06-07-2006 | 01:14 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KJM3SMG
My friend is looking for a 99 C2.. like others he is concerned about RMS.. and this one example supposedly has been rebuilt due to an "intermix issue".

Should it be less desirable due to the early rebuild at only 59k miles? With 66k miles the owner is ready to sell... should he ask more specific questions?
It shouldn't be desirable at all. Stay away. Stay far, far away from that car. The intermix issue refers to an infrequent problem on the 996 where coolant gets into the oil. It's usually due to either cracked cylinder linings or a bad intake head seal. In the first case, it'is fixed by either swapping the engine or putting in new cylinder liners. In the second case, it's fixed by either swapping the engine or rebuilding the top end. In either case, if this engine is rebuilt, then you're asking for trouble.

Originally Posted by KJM3SMG
What kind of 996 can he get for low 30s? year 2000 with less than 40k miles possible? He prefers one that has litronics and aerokit.. how much do those add to resale?
For low 30's he's not going to get a 2000 with <40k miles. For low 30's, he's going to get a 1999-2000 with 60k+ miles and not a ton of options. There's a lot of 2000 models with the litronics on them, but they're a bit more rare on the 1999's. The aerokit isn't a very common option and will be hard to find. To get a car with both of these options in the low 30's, it's probably going to have 90k+ miles on it. But it'll be pretty darn hard to find anyway. He should be looking on www.cars.com. It has the biggest listing of used Porsches anywhere on the net. The litronics add a bit to the value since they're definitely desirable. The aero kit doesn't add a lot to the value except that people who have it will ask more for the car since the aero kit was an $8k option new. In reality, it's only worth more if they can find a buyer that wants it. Personally, I think that taco wing is pretty damn ugly.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 06-07-2006 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-07-2006 | 02:08 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

buy a P-car without existing problems..because modding the car is going to be expensive enough...you don't need technical problems from the beginning!

Quick Reply: rebuilt engine due to "intermix issue"?