Sponsored by:

C4S PSS9 PART NUMBER MIX UP, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:49 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Default C4S PSS9 PART NUMBER MIX UP, HELP

Hey guys i'm guessing some you might know better here. I'm confused here. Acording to the Bilsteins website the C4S uses the same PSS9 PN as the C4. But that does not makes sense because the C4S is based on the Turbo which has a diffrent PN.

Also Pfaff Tuning here in Toronto says to use the Turbo Suspension not the C4.

What do you guys think, specially the ones who have done PSS9's on their C4S's Thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 10:07 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

C4S and the C4 are totally different. You need the TT type with the correct spring rate.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

That was one of my primary concerns with the PSS9 when I was shopping for suspensions. C2, C4, and TT had their own PN's, but C4S seemed to fall through the cracks. C4 and C4S are not the same cars, neither is the TT same as the C4S. So, why should the PSS9 for either one fit the C4S well?

Finally went with the X73. Specifically designed and made for the weight, dimensions, and HP/torque of the C4S, with it's own specific part numbers. Plus, it's made by Porsche. I knew I couldn't go wrong.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

see that were i'm confused C4S falls in the middle.

The X73 is made for the C4S and Turbo acording to Carnewal

So would the PSS9 for the Turbo, putting it on the C4S Reasonable?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Called up Bilistine and they said C4 and C4S PN is the same because that how it was made. Turbo has a Diffrent Harder Set-up.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Zookie
see that were i'm confused C4S falls in the middle.

The X73 is made for the C4S and Turbo acording to Carnewal

So would the PSS9 for the Turbo, putting it on the C4S Reasonable?
The X73 is just the kit designation. The X73-TT kit part # is 000-044-500-37 and the X73-C4S kit part # is 000-044-500-38. The part numberts for the components of the kit are different as well. Two different suspension kits for two different cars, but both designated as X73.

If I had to chose between the C4 or TT PSS9's, I would think the TT version would be closer. But I guess that contradicts Bilstein, the manufacturer.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:10 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Palting is right, each individual part has it's own pn, different from the TT with the X73. But in your situation, I'd just go with the off the shelf TT stuff, it's as close as you're gonna get.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:51 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LISTEN TO BILSTEIN.....What they are saying is the the springs rates and shocks are the same for the C4 and C4S...makes sense, the cars have similar weights. The suspension is basically the same as far as springs and shocks are concerned. I would do the C4 if thats what Bilstein suggests.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Heh-heh-heh Now, you see why I went with the X73? Bilstein may be right, but maybe they don't want to admit they didn't make one for the C4S, and just say it should be the same as the C4, since it's almost the same letters in the model designation. OTOH, maybe Chris and I just like our C4S so much we think we are closer to the TT, but we sorta have a basis since the suspension dimensions of the arms, links, pickup points are exactly like the turbo. Pfaff thinks so, too, and even the Porsche web site said (when they still had the 996 models up at their site) that the C4S suspension is exactly like the turbo with slight modifications for the difference in HP.

That was all tongue in cheek Bottom line, I liked the adjustable character of the PSS9, but I never got comfortable as to which one to get. I was planning to track the car a lot, so performance was top priority. If you plan to use it mostly as a daily driver, I'm not so sure the differences between the two PSS9's will be so critical. Either one will probably do. I sincerely hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:02 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Professor Newport; The C4S and the C4 are not the same, in any way, shape or form.
Having said that, since you've already made the choice of the milder pss9 over the x73, I'd rec the TT version, good luck. Be sure and check out a few threads here and on 6speed about ride ht/c4s-TT/psss9's, be careful!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by newport996
LISTEN TO BILSTEIN.....What they are saying is the the springs rates and shocks are the same for the C4 and C4S...makes sense, the cars have similar weights. The suspension is basically the same as far as springs and shocks are concerned. I would do the C4 if thats what Bilstein suggests.
lol delima Bilistein East insisted C4 PSS9's and Bilistein West insisted Turbo PSS9's. So i guess they them selfs dont knwo what the hell is going on

We called about 8 shops all over US and Canada and 5 of them instsed to use the Turbo PSS9's, so did even Pfaff who have done several PSS9's on the C4S, the kit they used was Turbo

X73 is point less for me, because this is a year around car and main reason why i'm going with Coilover's is because of the Height Adjustablity in the Winters and Summers

So my Mech and i decided to go with the Turbo Set-Up
Old 06-07-2006, 02:35 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Well since I have been named "Professor Newport"....let me speak....I think the difference is in the rear spring rates....I find it interesting that NO ONE has a C4S spring/shock that is different than the C4. H&R/Eibach/Bilstein....All of them use the same springs/shocks for the C4 and C4S. Looking at spring info, the fronts for the C4/C4S/TT look the same, the rears are different to taking into consideration different weight and HP.....so based on this, I would co with the C4 kit, because a TT kit will have a higher spring rate....but how much of a difference wil it be? who knows....maybe not that much. BUT like I said before, the springs and shocks from a C4/C4S/ and TT are the same EXCEPT spring rates for the rear of the TT. If it wasnt then it would be IMPOSSIBLE to have a kit fit a C4 and a C4S. Lecture over.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Newport, are you talking about aftermarket, or Porsche? AFAIK, aftermarket ignored the C4S, that's why there is thie merry mix-up that even Bilstein doesn't have an answer to. Porsche, however, does have the answer. They have different parts. As you said in your last statement, it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a kit fit C4 and C4S. What the aftyermarket has done is shoehorn either the C4 or the TT suspension and hope no one notices.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:00 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

I am speaking about the suspensions in general....The differences are spring rates and POSSIBLY dampening. When it comes to PSS9's, the dampening is adjustable, and the spring rate differs from stock in all applications. So the fact that there is no different part specifically for the C4S is almost irrelevant....now the key is how does it work for the C4S? I cannot comment, but I know some with it on TT's and they love it....On my C4, its excellent.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Zookie
So my Mech and i decided to go with the Turbo Set-Up
Good luck!. I think you made the right choice.

Quick Reply: C4S PSS9 PART NUMBER MIX UP, HELP