PPI: How?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:43 PM
TomP
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI: How?

How does one do a PPI?
Where can I get one done, or just as important, where shouldn't I get one done?
How does the car get to the PPI'er?

And I assume that if the seller refuses to let me do a PPI, I should move on.

Any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the newbie questions.

tom
Old 06-01-2006, 11:19 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Porsche dealer should do it. Costs about $200.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by TomP
How does one do a PPI?
Where can I get one done, or just as important, where shouldn't I get one done?
How does the car get to the PPI'er?
And I assume that if the seller refuses to let me do a PPI, I should move on.
Having it done at a Porsche dealer is not as important as having it done by a Porsche knowledgeable mechanic you can trust to do a thorough job. The dealers do, however, have a standard .... several page .... form that the good ones will follow. Plenty of independent shops do well, also. It should include a road test. He should then go over the results with you until you understand them fully. Park Place in DFW charged well over $300 for the service, and it was money well spent.

You should not have it done anywhere that you don't KNOW to meet the above standards.

Either you or the seller may take the car to the site of the PPI. My seller delivered it for me, as I was from out of state. Upon arrival, I took the completed form and discussed with the Porsche service dept.

If the seller will not allow a PPI, you should walk away. I can think of no viable excuse for such a position by someone selling a car.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:52 AM
TomP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
Having it done at a Porsche dealer is not as important as having it done by a Porsche knowledgeable mechanic you can trust to do a thorough job. The dealers do, however, have a standard .... several page .... form that the good ones will follow. Plenty of independent shops do well, also. It should include a road test. He should then go over the results with you until you understand them fully. Park Place in DFW charged well over $300 for the service, and it was money well spent.

You should not have it done anywhere that you don't KNOW to meet the above standards.

Either you or the seller may take the car to the site of the PPI. My seller delivered it for me, as I was from out of state. Upon arrival, I took the completed form and discussed with the Porsche service dept.

If the seller will not allow a PPI, you should walk away. I can think of no viable excuse for such a position by someone selling a car.
My problem is that we recently moved to the area, so I don't know who is "Porsche knowledgable".

Anyone know who I can trust in or near Huntington, NY (Long Island)?

I work near WMB European Motors and a blue 996 cab sitting out front was what got me thinking about P-cars again. They always have a 993 or 996 out front for sale. But I don't know anything about them. I'm also very close to Porsche of Huntington, but a salesman treated me pretty poorly when I went there to ask about Caymen's last year.

Thanks.

tom

Quick Reply: PPI: How?