996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"seal , schmeal" -- dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 07:03 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please do let us know what dealers are good and others bad. I think it helps us reward the good dealers with our hard earned (albiet ill-gotten) gains. Good luck on your search.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:06 PM
tbill
Racer

First time my wife & I walked into Bluegrass Porsche of Louisville, Ky., I told them we were just looking. Girl behind desk got a salesman out to answer any questions we might of had, etc. He showed us around different vehicles and explained about 911's. (never had one before) Told him if we were to think about one, it would be a coupe. Only had one new coupe on the lot at the time, so he brought it front and center, gave us the keys and some directions for different roads (we live 3 hours away from dealership) said see you back in 30-45 minutes. Ending up buying this car. Great service and no hassles, except the salesman being concerned about our monthly payments. Told him I did not care about monthly payment amount but the bottom line cost of vehicle.
I would think you could find a dealer who wanted your business and each customer has a right to expect being treated well, even if they are "just looking."
Old 05-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had poor service from my local P dealer also. When I was looking I went to the dealer twice, never a test drive - pretty much just looked at me like show us your money and then you can test drive. Like they are doing me the favor! Which is why I ended up buying mine from a third party. I hear the P dealer in Bend is really cool, and when I go for a new one I'll definately visit them.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:05 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

http://porschenashua.com/ These guys were GREAT to me.Test drive no problem, handled most of the negotiations by phone since I lived 100 miles away.They would have met me half way to test drive the car if I wanted.Even called me on one year anniversary of purchase to make sure I was happy. We need to name names in the forums. Bad dealers need to be boycotted.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:17 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
http://porschenashua.com/We need to name names in the forums. Bad dealers need to be boycotted.
This is a great idea only sometimes it's not the whole dealership, but a couple of lousy sales people. Still think we should create a list to flag inept stealers.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:00 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Not only would I dump the dealer, but I'd publically identify (and humiliate him) on this forum. Lots of these dealers peruse these pages; if you identify a particularly egregious sleazeball dealer with many potential Porsche customers reading the post, maybe you'll get the dealer to change their behavior. Just a thought.

Phil G.
'04 Atlas/Black C4S coupe

south shore in freeport.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:51 AM
catnmouse
Intermediate

As Ronald Reagin said, "vote with your feet", I always follow that philosphy, puts me in the right frame of mind.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:49 AM
cpu77
Instructor

I have had the same treatment! A few years ago I went to a BMW dealer to purchase a 330xi. My intention was to buy it out right. So I walk up to the door no one would wait on me and my wife. Then this asian kid comes in with his girlfriend (dressed like hippies) and they rush over and ask him if he would be interested in taking a new 7series for a drive! I waited for 15-20mins. Finanly a old guy comes up to me and ask me if I have been helped. I said no he said you know these cars are EXPENSIVE! I was like well I really don't like the local support guess I am buying a AUDI. So I left there went to the Audi dealer bought a 2004 A4 and a 2000 A4 that day paid cash. I hope I am not treated this way when I start looking to buy my first P car. BTW my Audi sales guy is awesome! It's Byers Import in Columbus, Ohio. They sell Porsches just way over priced. Plus I have not seen any used turbos on their lot.

Dealer of Shame
Kelly BMW
Columbus Ohio
Old 06-01-2006, 10:42 AM
zman53
Advanced

south shore in freeport

As a former Long Islander, it sounds like he had the classic Long Island "chip" on his shoulder!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:06 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Reading this thread this morning gave me an idea - I stopped by a local BMW dealership recently, dressed in baggy jeans and a t-**** (though I do think it had Google logos emblazoned on it, which I'd think would attract some attention from someone in sales..). I got nothing. I wandered around the showroom. Walked by all the desks (they were in sort of a horseshoe configuration. No one said anything. Not even the receptionist. I looked very intently at some of the M3s and used M5s right up against the windows. Nothing. Maybe they figured I didn't want to be bothered unless I asked for help? I parked around the corner, so I don't think any of them saw the 996.

I've got a shirt with buttons and a belt on today, so maybe I should try the same experiment I wonder if it's related to my age, though, as even though I'm 23, I look a pretty young 23... especially now that I'm losing some weight again.

My dad has worked at and owned car dealerships for many, many years. Mainly Porsche/Audi, though he's with Ferrari at the moment. He always told me he was very careful not to think about how people were dressed - that the people buying the 911 Turbos and GT2s and now, I'm sure, the Enzos are the ones coming with t-shirts and jeans on. Not that us C2 owners dressed up or anything, but he said someone new to the business might be stuck with some pre-conceptions about expensive clothing being linked to expensive cars.

Justin
Old 06-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Do it!!! Stop by the BMW dealer ship and report back!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:30 PM
4s
Instructor

Newport Auto. Worst dealership around. Went to McKenna and was treated like you would expect a Porsche dealership to. Didn't even have to ask/pay for a loaner or anything. Had it all ready for me. Ask for Domenic in service. Very helpfull.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Okay my contrib... Carlsen in PA, CA. Guess I didn't have the obligatory "wads of $100's" coming out of my pockets. I hear the have good wrenches but I couldn't tolerate their attitudes. Their attitudes were repeated over several visits when they had cars I wanted to check out so I don't think it was just one lousy salesperson.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:21 PM
searching4996
Racer

When you read through this thread, notice how many times the person who got the extended test drive and/or was allowed to keep it overnight bought the car. Any dealership who's still trying to play the "agree to buy it for x then we'll let you drive it" game should take notice.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:25 PM
faris13
Advanced

Porsche of Lexington has been great to me. Good bunch of guys and great service department. I'm fairly young (26), so many dealers might be hesitant about me test driving their cars but everyone at this dealer was helpful.

I remember the owner asking if I was interested in a Carrera GT... I laughed and said "I wish". I was impressed that he would even ask that considering most dealerships would've basically laughed at me if I showed interest in a $400,000 car.

Quick Reply: "seal , schmeal" -- dealer